Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 12:39 AM

Default Re: The state of Notre Dame football.

ND vs Navy and all on my birthday. It's got to be a win for my Irish. And no, I won't bet on it. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Navy did give up 59 points to a 1AA school last week so ND should be able to at least double their average offensive yards. Pinnacle Sports has Notre Dame as 3 point favorites. I look forward to a good game and the 2nd ND win of the season.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:19 AM

I think people tend to underestimate just how horrible the Willingham recruiting effort was.

One question for all you [gigantic state school] fans:

What would be the effect on your program if the NCAA took 10 scholarships away this year? Would you see the effects immediately? Or would you expect to see them a couple years down the line?

That's essentially what Willingham did to ND. Did Weis benefit from Willingham's recruits? Yes, technically. Brady Quinn was a Willingham recruit, but he was basically landed by Chinedum Ndukwe's father. Ty played the "soft sell" on him. Ha.

Weis can't win without Ty's players? Well, Ty couldn't win WITH Ty's players. And at Washington, he still can't, even with a bona fide badass at QB.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think people tend to underestimate just how horrible the Willingham recruiting effort was.

One question for all you [gigantic state school] fans:

What would be the effect on your program if the NCAA took 10 scholarships away this year? Would you see the effects immediately? Or would you expect to see them a couple years down the line?

That's essentially what Willingham did to ND. Did Weis benefit from Willingham's recruits? Yes, technically. Brady Quinn was a Willingham recruit, but he was basically landed by Chinedum Ndukwe's father. Ty played the "soft sell" on him. Ha.

Weis can't win without Ty's players? Well, Ty couldn't win WITH Ty's players. And at Washington, he still can't, even with a bona fide badass at QB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't win? Are you forgetting he left ND with a 21-15 record? Somehow, domers add that up to 0-36.

At UW is competetive.

Weis going into ND was a much better situation than what Ty was walking into at UW.

If you're going to use that excuse(prior coaches players) for Weis, then I guess you could also use it for Ty and the players he was 'left' with at UW. Oops, god forbid you put them with equal factors. Does the sand make your neck itch?

If you're going to use this years stuff about UW as Ty's players, well, I guess it goes equal for Weis as they'd be 'his' players. Oops, I forgot, he's infallable and can do no wrong. So infallable he doesn't even have to develop his players, field a competetive team and break longstanding ND records for ineptitude. Damn, extend him for another 10 years.

Oh, and #40 and better recruiting classes aren't as bad as many domers like to act. As said before, it still doesn't add up to the abysmall effort they're showing on the field.

You know who to blame? The ND higher ups when they got a hardon when Urban Meyer made his statement. But then, domers don't tend to look at the whole picture. I guess somehow that helps them sleep at night.

b

b
Old 11-03-2007, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-03-2007, 06:48 PM

Delaware > Notre Dame
Old 11-03-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, c'mon. Stop with the denial.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:50 PM

First off I'm really happy for the Navy guys. Absolutely huge for them. Now it's up to Army to spoil their season [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Weis's playcalling made me want to puke today. If Navy can't stop the run...ever...why bother passing? He gets too cute schematically for his own good sometimes. Us poker players call it "fancy play syndrome."

If CW doesn't make it at ND, this will be one of the games looked back at as WTF? Not to take anything away from the Middies, but there's no excuse for losing this game.

Many Domers will jump off the Weis bandwagon after this game. I'm trying to take the long view, but today's results were not encouraging.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Delaware > Notre Dame

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly...QFT
Old 11-03-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Notre Dame vs. Navy

I am actually sort of looking forward to this. Anyone else? How many years has it been? The line should be close to even on this game I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Typically this is the time of year for ND haters recycle variations of the "Irish capture Commander in Chief's trophy" joke. Unfortunately those folks lack even a superficial understanding of the meaning of the series.

I've always loved this game for a few reasons. First, I have my service academy connection (I'm an Army grad...father and brother attended ND). Next, the game has great historical significance. Notre Dame was on the verge of closing its doors due to financial difficulties from WWII, but The Department of the Navy greatly expanded its officer training program there...effectively enabling Notre Dame to stay open. As a gesture of thanks and respect, ND has told Navy that the series will continue uninterrupted for as long as Navy wants to play. Navy has gladly obliged each year. Though ND has the 45 game or whatever win streak, the game means much more than the outcome. It's about two top notch academic schools who share a commitment to educating and building our nation's future leaders. There is a palpable respect between the programs...you won't see either blush when minority athlete graduation figures are mentioned. And the Middies, despite sometimes obvious talent deficiencies, never put forth less than a 110% effort. This is definitely their best shot to end over four decades of Irish victories. I'm sure the Irish are firmly in their crosshairs. I actually wouldn't be too upset if Navy pulled it off (not like a loss to Navy would ruin ND's season any more)

I went to the 2005 ND/Navy game. After the game, The ND players went and stood with Navy during their alma mater. This is a huge sign of respect that us service academies typically reserve for one another. It was a small way for ND to say "Even though we just beat each other up for 60 minutes of physical football, at the end of the day, thanks for what you do for our country." An awesome sentiment which fully captured significance of this awesome series.

[/ QUOTE ]

well that win streak is ending this year lol

we'll see if they stand with the Navy players in defeat

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, they did stand with Navy. As an alum, I give a lot of credit to CW and his players for that gesture. It is really appreciated.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:35 PM

Purdue student stopping in to say that, thanks to you guys, this is the best year ever. Weis FTL!