Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2007, 07:45 PM

Default Re: what is spread more?

[ QUOTE ]
Truth is, I am in management and trying to decide what blinds would be best for the game we are about to spread. As a poker player I understand both blind structures and their significance. I can see the increased action with the $3-$5 blind, and at the same time I know that the "nits" would prefer to have less committed to the small blind. I am just interested in deciding what would be best for our room and our players. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally avoid the advice of nits except where you simply need them around in the morning to start games. Rarely is nit advice good for the long term growth of the game. Of course you will need thick skin. Nits will usually play the hours management works and complain more than the action players that really drive the growth of a cardroom.

FYI here are some links to discussions regarding how listening to nits can hurt your room:

Nits and Chained Must Moves

The Nits Preference for undersized Small Blinds

For more search this forum on my name and or Randy Refeld (his new screen name is "RR"). Cross our username with +nit and/or +nits. Rarely do we use that word other than in reference than how bowing to nit thinking will hurt your cardroom.

Hope this helps and good luck with dealing with the nits.

~ Rick
Old 08-19-2007, 11:31 PM

Yeah, I can see how $3-5 would be slightly better for the game. That's a different question than which is more common. And certainly, California's legally-mandated rake structure is pretty much specific only to there.

If you're really asking my opinion, I'd spread $2.50-$5 blinds in all pink blackjack chips. The "Pink Chip Game" as $7.50/$15 limit has legendary status in AC. Why not be the only room anywhere with a NL version?

But it may be good you're not asking my opinion.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:49 AM

Thanks. I agree more action at $3-5$, better for the game and the room, Who wants to play in a game full of people trying to "grind it out"
Old 08-20-2007, 02:34 PM

hey pokerdoug can you say which room you run?
fwiw here in kc we have 3 rooms that all run 1/2 and 2/5 NL and both games thrive consistently at all three venues
Old 08-20-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Truth is, I am in management and trying to decide what blinds would be best for the game we are about to spread. As a poker player I understand both blind structures and their significance. I can see the increased action with the $3-$5 blind, and at the same time I know that the "nits" would prefer to have less committed to the small blind. I am just interested in deciding what would be best for our room and our players. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally avoid the advice of nits except where you simply need them around in the morning to start games. Rarely is nit advice good for the long term growth of the game. Of course you will need thick skin. Nits will usually play the hours management works and complain more than the action players that really drive the growth of a cardroom.

FYI here are some links to discussions regarding how listening to nits can hurt your room:

Nits and Chained Must Moves

The Nits Preference for undersized Small Blinds

For more search this forum on my name and or Randy Refeld (his new screen name is "RR"). Cross our username with +nit and/or +nits. Rarely do we use that word other than in reference than how bowing to nit thinking will hurt your cardroom.

Hope this helps and good luck with dealing with the nits.

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of nits, I had two dealer choice games last night. These people aren't even subtle about trying to follow the action player. Everyone would get on the table change for his table. Then after they got over there he took a table change to get away from them. I think I could film this and sell it. The entire table moved from one table to the other and then back.

edit to add: Everyday they ask for a must move so the can keep the action player from getting away once they get to his table. There is a better chance of that game not being spread to keep them out than letting them have a must move.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of nits, I had two dealer choice games last night. These people aren't even subtle about trying to follow the action player. Everyone would get on the table change for his table. Then after they got over there he took a table change to get away from them. I think I could film this and sell it. The entire table moved from one table to the other and then back.

edit to add: Everyday they ask for a must move so the can keep the action player from getting away once they get to his table. There is a better chance of that game not being spread to keep them out than letting them have a must move.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you added the edit. I read the original post (without the edit) in my email inbox and had a different take although it was related to must moves.

What I was planning to say (before reading your edit) was that in larger games (when they go two to three games deep) and the game dynamic consists of many sharks or semi-sharks feeding off a very few extremely live players you sometimes need to maintain a must move (and gasp, sometimes even the hated chained must move!) in order to avoid the obvious embarrassment to the extremely live players when players consistently try to follow them around through table changes.

You really have to get up to the higher limits to see this though. If it happens at limits 20/40 and below it's sort of like watching dumpster dining.

~ Rick