Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2007, 01:17 AM

Default Anyone ever flown with golf clubs before?

Particularly with Spirit Airlines? I'm flying internationally (to the Caribbean) this week and want to play a few rounds while I'm down there. I'm taking my bag in a soft travel case, but it's obviously over the maximum dimensions (hey, there's a golf bag inside), but not over the weight restrictions. Some airlines don't count golf clubs and other sporting equipment as oversized baggage, some do, and the customer disservice person I spoke to has no idea. If it ends up being considered "oversized" baggage, it would cost me $100 each way to fly with them, i.e. I wouldn't be able to play any golf on my vacation.

Anybody have any experience (good experiences, hopefully), traveling with their clubs (again, particularly with Spirit Airlines)?

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2007, 01:56 AM

Default Re: Anyone ever flown with golf clubs before?

I've flown hundreds of times with my clubs (the last 8 years in a big hard case) and not once have I been charged a fee. However I've never flown Spirit.

BO
Old 07-02-2007, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Golf Equipment
Golf equipment will be accepted as baggage - fees will apply and clubs must be within the baggage weight limits. A release form will also need to be signed by the customer for soft-sided golf bags.
One item of golf equipment consists of:
One golf bag, containing no more than 14 golf clubs
12 golf balls
One pair of golf shoes
A pull cart may be included if it is attached to the golf bag. Golf equipment should be enclosed with a cover to prevent loss of contents. Hard sided carriers are recommended.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.spiritair.com/welcome.asp...#GolfEquipment

What fee, I dunno.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:07 AM

Actually this clears it up a little more.....

[ QUOTE ]
Q: Can I select my golf clubs as one of the baggage options?
A: Yes, golf clubs can be transported as normal baggage allowance if the clubs are within the weight limits. If you have one piece of checked baggage AND golf clubs, the second bag fee applies. If clubs are overweight, then overweight fees apply as well.

* All customers are allowed one free carry-on bag
* Customers are guaranteed up to five (5) bags if pre-purchasing online (Click here to pre-purchase bags now)
* Checked baggage is $5 per piece, each way in advance for the first two bags when purchased online and $10 per piece, each way at the airport. (Customers will receive a discount for the first two (2) checked bags when purchased online).
* Bags 3-5 are $100 per piece, regardless of purchasing online or at the airport on day of departure.
* Items that are overweight or oversized will continue to be weighed and sized at the airport, and fees collected when checking in.
* Golf club and boxes/containers are acceptable and can be prepaid online provided they meet weight and or size restrictions.
* Additional bags can be pre-purchased at anytime provided inventory is available. (No less than (1) hour prior to departure)
* All checked baggage fees are non-refundable
* Customers involved in a stop-over flight that involves a connection of over 4 hours will be charged based on point to point travel.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-02-2007, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What fee, I dunno.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Excess Baggage

Excess/oversized/overweight luggage may be accommodated subject to space at the following charges per occurrence:

Excess Weight Fees:
51 to 70 lbs. (23 - 32 kg) $25
71 to 99 lbs. (32 - 45 kg) $100

Excess Size Fees:
62" + (158cm +) $100
80" + (203cm) $150

[/ QUOTE ]

That fee. One airline's website specifically says you won't get charged for oversize as long as it's as big or smaller than a standard hard shell case (even though it IS larger than the standard size allowance). Spirit doesn't say anything and their 800 number cue card readers don't know either. Was hoping one of you had actually flown with these clowns before.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually this clears it up a little more.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really... notice the text I've <font color="red">bolded</font>.

[ QUOTE ]
Q: Can I select my golf clubs as one of the baggage options?
A: Yes, golf clubs can be transported as normal baggage allowance <font color="red">if the clubs are within the weight limits</font>. If you have one piece of checked baggage AND golf clubs, the second bag fee applies. <font color="red"> If clubs are overweight</font> (<font color="red">says nothing about oversized</font>), then overweight fees apply as well.

* All customers are allowed one free carry-on bag
* Customers are guaranteed up to five (5) bags if pre-purchasing online (Click here to pre-purchase bags now)
* Checked baggage is $5 per piece, each way in advance for the first two bags when purchased online and $10 per piece, each way at the airport. (Customers will receive a discount for the first two (2) checked bags when purchased online).
* Bags 3-5 are $100 per piece, regardless of purchasing online or at the airport on day of departure.
* Items that are overweight or oversized will continue to be weighed and sized at the airport, and fees collected when checking in.
* Golf club and boxes/containers are acceptable and can be prepaid online provided they meet weight and or <font color="red">size restrictions</font> (<font color="red">wtf? so is it size restricted or not?</font>).
* Additional bags can be pre-purchased at anytime provided inventory is available. (No less than (1) hour prior to departure)
* All checked baggage fees are non-refundable
* Customers involved in a stop-over flight that involves a connection of over 4 hours will be charged based on point to point travel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ambiguity ftw. See my reason for confusion and frustration?
Old 07-02-2007, 03:42 AM

Never flown on Spirit. Have flown with clubs on a few other airlines and never had a problem or charge fwiw..
Old 07-02-2007, 06:00 AM

I don't know how you're reading my posts but I wasn't trying to be a dick, I just thought you might not have seen those things yet. I still don't know exactly what the deal is, but although I haven't actually flown Spirit, I would venture to guess that they will NOT charge you $100 for bringing golf clubs, it's just too ridiculous a thing to do. The way I'm reading it is that they make a special exception on size for golf clubs but you still must remain within normal weight limits?
Old 07-02-2007, 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how you're reading my posts but I wasn't trying to be a dick, I just thought you might not have seen those things yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think you were trying to be a dick. I did see all that before... was just highlighting the points of ambiguity on their site so you can see why I was confused. They don't mention size restrictions at all and just weight, then suddenly they talk about size restrictions. It's not clear at all.

[ QUOTE ]
The way I'm reading it is that they make a special exception on size for golf clubs but you still must remain within normal weight limits?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd imagine so... I'll probably end up getting to the airport earlier than I planned so I can go back to the car and leave them if it turns out they're going to try to rip me off.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Never flown on Spirit. Have flown with clubs on a few other airlines and never had a problem or charge fwiw..

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been told a time or two that the bag was overweight and subject to a fee, but...

I've had success by just saying, "when I booked the flight with your airline, I told them I'd have a big golf bag, and they assured me that it wouldn't be any problem."

But this was several years ago..