Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2007, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Current Skill You Are Developing

[ QUOTE ]
I'm working on memory techniques. I was actually thinking of running a memory competition at MIT some time. I used the major system for a while (1 = t/d, 2 = n, 3 = m, etc), but I've since switched to the Dominic Method. I have pi memorized to about 100 digits, and I can memorize a deck of cards in about a day. I have a list of topics that I carry with me on the subway (US presidents, famous scientists and their inventions, famous dates & battles, etc), and I work on adding them to my set of "memory journeys" when I have a free chance. Does anyone else use a journey or memory-palace type method? I have some specific questions that I need to discuss with fellow mnemonists.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't remember coming up with any technique for memorization. Obviously, it doesn't work.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:27 PM

nunchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills...

Seriously, I've just recently gotten back into poker, and I'm going to become a proficient no limit player. I really haven't played much since over a year ago when I was able to beat 5/10 short handed limit games at around 1.7BB/100. So, I have a long way to go. I've always done well in no limit tournaments, but haven't had much cash game experience which is what I want to focus on.

Chess... I hate being so bad at chess. I'm around 1500 on yahoo chess. I normally play people around that same rating and my rating bounces up and down a bit. Can anyone translate this into an FIDE rating. Would I even be a 1200? I MCO 14 which is pretty useless for how seriously I play. I also have a good book on the Sicilian by Danny Kopec, just picked up Capablanca's Best Chess Endings a couple months ago. My next purchase I want to make will be Nimzowitch's My System.

I'm also trying to become a better cook. I try to cook something new around once every couple weeks. Lately, I've been on this big bourbon + meat kick lately. Last night I made some pan cooked chicken breasts. While they rested, I added some shallots and mushrooms, sauted them for a minute or so, then deglazed with some Maker's Mark. Added a little chicken stock and fresh thyme and reduced by about 50 percent. Delicious.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:14 PM

Maybe not a skill but an interest: I'd like to gain a general knowledge of comic books. I read a wikipedia entry about The Watchmen and it seemed interesting. Could anyone recommend a crash course on the best comic books or any way to get them without having to pay amazon.com for each specific one?

Secondly I'm trying out this 2+2 thing by posting instead of just reading. I'm going to do it for a couple of days and see how that goes. If anyone makes fun of me or if my posts just don't get any responses, I'll stop posting and go back to just reading. Of course I'll also cry myself to sleep as well.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:38 PM

Boxing. Wanted to start last week actually but there was a small problem. If I don't start this week I'll be pretty upset.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:14 AM

Golf skill update: two weekends ago, I played from the blue tees at a public course. Got seven bogeys, gave up on a hole or two and shot around a 110. Yesterday, I played from the whites at another public course, which is a little easier than the first one...very wide fairways. Got eight bogeys and a par, shot a 101....which for me, is awesome. The guys I was with on both rounds who know my game from last year say I've really improved. I'm excited!

Most of my tee shots are playable, although I still have a tendency to hit to my right. I used to be a notorious slicer, but now I'm an occasional slicer. My short game is getting better, but I still short a lot of putts and mishit some close shots from fifty yards in. I am getting a feel for how far my irons go. Seriously considering taking intermediate lessons. Will keep you all posted. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I hope to consistently shoot lower than 100 by the end of the summer. Thanks for the suggestions!

Another thing I'm going to take up is homebrewing beer. I bought my gf's dad a Mr. Beer kit for Christmas. He said it was pretty easy going the first time around. His first batch wasn't bad, and he's already ramping up his production to make more batches. I ordered a Mr. Beer kit last week, should get it any day now.

ScottieK
Old 04-02-2007, 07:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Would love to learn more about neuro-linguistic programming, others?

[/ QUOTE ]

For useful skills in the real world, and self help, the best place is:

http://essential-skills.com/

Bruiser, the stuff Tom and Kim teach could also be of interest to you. The best self change method I have heard of. Pure gold. The other skills they teach can be applied to pickup, and poker too. Just about anything really.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:03 AM

Right now I am just trying to do all the things I do as
life hobbies;

EG: I have to eat and plan to keep eating forever and have unlimited time (and effectively money) so I am trying to become the best cook I can without becoming a professional cook (I think a lot of EDFers are like this).

Also I have been playing piano for 14 years and am learning guitar but I am now looking into composition and writing my own music; but I want to start with writing classical music because I think that writing popular music is very simplistic compared to writing Beethoven etc. The cool thing with music is it is something I can do for the rest of my life; if i have some manuscript paper I can compose; if i'm near and instrument I can play (even at the age of 70+).

And I am applying myself heavily to poker and investing to make sure I don't have to work at all in the future.

I'd like to start surfing seriously, but can't really get into it. I suck at exercising, and I wish I could take the same sort of 'life hobby' approach to a form of exercise as I take to music, poker, and cooking. I think a Martial art would also be good in this way, but I just can't make myself get into it; it's not like i'm fat by any means but I fully recognize the benefits of doing strenuous exercise every day. And I think the gym is pretty meh.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Would love to learn more about neuro-linguistic programming, others?

[/ QUOTE ]

For useful skills in the real world, and self help, the best place is:

http://essential-skills.com/

Bruiser, the stuff Tom and Kim teach could also be of interest to you. The best self change method I have heard of. Pure gold. The other skills they teach can be applied to pickup, and poker too. Just about anything really.

[/ QUOTE ]

I threw up a little and stopped reading after this:
[ QUOTE ]
Well I knew that I was going for rapport but they sure didn't. I began to try to get rapport with people from across the room and then with people that were not even looking at me yet. They all had the same response. They would blush a little and look around.

[/ QUOTE ]

and this:
[ QUOTE ]
Okay, what is energy? I don't know and I don't care. I know that most people have had the experience of thinking about someone, and having them give you a phone call within just a few minutes. Some have had the experience of picking up the phone to call someone only to have them already on the line, because they had called you and your phone never rang. That is because people make connections on levels other than what we are aware of. Distance does not play a factor. These connections can be just as strong whether someone is standing next you or whether they are on the opposite side of the world.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-02-2007, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I threw up a little and stopped reading after this:
[ QUOTE ]
Well I knew that I was going for rapport but they sure didn't. I began to try to get rapport with people from across the room and then with people that were not even looking at me yet. They all had the same response. They would blush a little and look around.

[/ QUOTE ]

and this:....

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh. "Send us $$$ and we'll send you a cookie-cutter PDF of useless advice." I bought one of those once and it was pretty useless information. The way they make it out to be magical in their pitch is really annoying.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
james

there is some asian math/physics 4.0 kid in one of my boring classes and we played yahoo chess the other day, he is one of those kids that played seriously through high school. ive never felt so dominated in anything in my life.

[/ QUOTE ]

did you laugh in his face afterwards and tell him if hed spent all that time on poker hed be a millionaire?