Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 02:27 PM

Default Re: I T \' S A M I R A C L E ! ! ! !

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see why it would even slow down Dawkins and Co. - they would just have to readjust their rhetoric.

[/ QUOTE ]

They would not need to "readjust" anything. Rational people would infer only that which the evidence warrants, as they do now, so the process would not change. As new evidence is found or new observations are made, previous theories are modified or discarded. That IS, as you say, the "rhetoric."

We could not really say what could be rationally inferred from the dramatic evidence you pose, without knowing the details. One thing we could say, however, is that the "miracle" you describe could not be considered as evidence for the Judeo-Christian God. It is impossible, even in principle, for there to be evidence for a thing which is hopelessly mired in contradictions and absurdities.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing we could say, however, is that the "miracle" you describe could not be considered as evidence for the Judeo-Christian God. It is impossible, even in principle, for there to be evidence for a thing which is hopelessly mired in contradictions and absurdities.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this event did happen, it would interesting to see how, around the world, everyone took it as proof that their God exists.

ie- everyone who believes in a God would, I'd bet, believe it reinforces their particular religion.

So,... nothing changes for the theists as well.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't see why it would even slow down Dawkins and Co. - they would just have to readjust their rhetoric.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They would not need to "readjust" anything. Rational people would infer only that which the evidence warrants, as they do now, so the process would not change. As new evidence is found or new observations are made, previous theories are modified or discarded. That IS, as you say, the "rhetoric."

[/ QUOTE ]
That's right. It would be evidence of intervention and as its highly unlikely that man currently has the ability to interven this way it would be likely that something with much greater abilities has intervened.

Anything else would be pure speculation unless as Lestat suggests they sign their work.

chez
Old 03-19-2007, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Miracle

[ QUOTE ]
Atheists keep asking for a miracle, DS says even proof of a real magic event will do. But the examples in the Bible and the posts here indicate that miracles don't do what people think they do. I believe that anyone who is convinced by a miracle would have been convinced anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are we reading the same thread? Almost all the non-believers here have specifically said they would probably believe in a God if this happened. Thus, miracles do indeed do what people think they do.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So any reason to make that claim about Dawkins?

[/ QUOTE ]

Plenty. But Dawkins is a placeholder, the self-appointed representative of atheism. He has become a symbol by his own choice. I could just say Dawkinsim from now on and maybe cut down on the number of posts that ask me why I hate him.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

One thing we could say, however, is that the "miracle" you describe could not be considered as evidence for the Judeo-Christian God.

[/ QUOTE ]

The exact point I wanted to make.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

ie- everyone who believes in a God would, I'd bet, believe it reinforces their particular religion.

So,... nothing changes for the theists as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which raises the question, "Why do atheists bring up the issue of miracles at all?"
Old 03-19-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Which raises the question, "Why do atheists bring up the issue of miracles at all?"

[/ QUOTE ]

No. It doesn't raise the question. It more accurately shows that religious people require no evidence and, that the religious will use evidence that doesn't support their beliefs.

The reason that atheists bring up the lack of miracles in the world is because their absence contradicts the worldview as presented by the Bible which shatters much of its credibility.

the LACK of any such evidence doesn't stop the believers since they don't require evidence for their beliefs. Just the desire to believe.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The reason that atheists bring up the lack of miracles in the world is because their absence contradicts the worldview as presented by the Bible which shatters much of its credibility

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this thread shows why that's wrong.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:28 PM

How so?

(1) No such evidence exists yet theists believe it anyways.
(2) Atheists admit that if miracles started happening, they would reassess their views in light of new evidence. But again... theists like yourself require no evidence. You believe what you want to believe despite evidence.

Again- atheists are willing to reassess their views with new evidence. You require no evidence.