Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2007, 12:38 PM

Default Who is viewed as more socially/moraly reprehensible?

A male ex-con who went to jail for 2 years on a white collar case (stock fraud), or a woman who was a hooker for a year?

I know both of these people (srry no pics of the latter).My thought is that the ex-hooker is much more looked down upon than the white collar criminal, and it's not even close. My bro thinks people view them equally negative.

Thoughts?
Old 08-10-2007, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Who is viewed as more socially/moraly reprehensible?

[ QUOTE ]

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a mild case of down syndrome.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:44 PM

It depends on the circumstances of the stock fraud. Clearly the opinion of the American people is that Martha Stewart and a common prostitute aren't even in the same book, but the Enron execs are considered the scum of the earth and (I would say) lower than the prostitute because they stopped at nothing to amass their fortunes.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:47 PM

personally? society as a whole? who should WE look down on more based upon society's stardard ethical code?

considering most of OOT has used the services of a hooker i'm pretty sure the white collar guy will run away with this.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:49 PM

I can't say hooking is a victimless crime if they're not safe about it. But stock frauders are actively out hurting people. I look down on the former much more.

- C -
Old 08-10-2007, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't say hooking is a victimless crime if they're not safe about it. But stock frauders are actively out hurting people. I look down on the former much more.

- C -

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you mean latter
Old 08-10-2007, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

- C -

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you mean latter

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in the reverse cowgirl...

- C -
Old 08-10-2007, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It depends on the circumstances of the stock fraud. Clearly the opinion of the American people is that Martha Stewart and a common prostitute aren't even in the same book, but the Enron execs are considered the scum of the earth and (I would say) lower than the prostitute because they stopped at nothing to amass their fortunes.

[/ QUOTE ]

How this came up is my bro and I were talking about a cute woman that works at my gym. He said that I should ask her out. I then explained that it is known that she is a known ex-pro. His thought that as long as she is clean and wasnt into the drug scene,,,not a big deal.

That didnt jibe with me and I tried to explain the whole stigma about dating an ex-hooker. His counter-point was our common friend Dave, went to jail for 2 years , and w/o people knowing his story he is just as much stigmatized as she is.

So I guess this question is posed to just take both person's past on the surface, and what is your gut reaction.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:01 PM

i would have no problem being friends with an ex-hooker. i'm not sure i'd want to be friends with someoen who was in jail for stock fraud, but it would depend on the circustances.

if he liquidated 1000 people's retirement account it would be different than if he made $500k with some insider info on a huge blue chip.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:06 PM

I wrote my seminar paper on insider trading (from the standpoint of deregulating it, though). This practice results in a gain to the insider and serious harm to the investing public. While it seems that he just made a few extra bucks, there is serious harm done to those investing in the market. It's about 25 pages, but I'd email to whoever wanted it.