Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 04:41 PM

Default 1/2$ top two on the river

Second Orbit, so no helpful reads on specific villains.

Poker Stars
Limit Omaha Ring game
Limit: $1/$2
10 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Hero: $38.50
UTG+1: $47
UTG+2: $27.50
MP1: $15.50
MP2: $27
MP3: $71.25
CO: $85
Button: $38
SB: $38.25
BB: $15

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is UTG with :as :kd :3h :ah
Hero calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, 2 folds, MP3 calls, 2 folds, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: :9h :kc :qh (5SB, 5 players)
SB checks, BB checks, [color=#cc0000]Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP3 calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: :2s (4BB, 3 players)
BB checks, Hero checks, MP3 checks.

River: :2c (4BB, 3 players)
BB checks, Hero checks, [color=#cc0000]MP3 bets</font>, BB folds, Hero ???

I felt a bit lost there. I limp this preflop every time there, seems like standard.
On the flop I hit a flushdraw with an overpair, so I think its best to bet to see where my hand stands and push out weak backdoordraws. I got two callers which usually means at least one of them has a straigth or two pair.
So I shut down on the turn to c/f or c/c depending on my odds and the enemy behaviour. I got a free card, the best result in my eyes.
The river is an interesting card, since I can now beat two pair and still lose to a straigth. Do you now c/c or c/f?

Generally advise on thoughts of all streets would be appreciated, but for me the most important question of play is on the river.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:08 PM

Default Re: 1/2$ top two on the river

Against most opponents at $1/$2 I fold this river without thinking too much about it.
I don't think limping AAK3s from UTG is 'standard', in fact I think this is bad. Even if opponents are so mindless preflop that it will not thin the field it should be raised for value.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:35 PM

You should raise this preflop.

As played you should check call on the flop, it will give you more info on where everyone is in the hand. If you had a chance to win the pot with a bet on the flop you should, but you dont, so check call.

On the turn checking is fine.

On the river, I very much like checking and calling (i disagree with bbartlog). A straight would have bet the turn, chances are that a set would have bet the turn as well. I think your opponent most likely has Ks up, and in a pot this size, this should be an easy call.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:05 PM

I think opponent has a FH here (or trips, for that matter)enough of the time that you can fold. But it does depend on opponent. I agree that a straight makes no sense. I don't see why someone would bet Ks up on this river (though of course given my recommended line one answer would be 'to make someone holding AAxx fold'... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )
Old 06-11-2007, 07:38 PM

Someone might bet Ks up on the rvier because they are beating Ks over 2s and looking for a call. They could also just have a missed straight and flush draw that theyre bluffing with. Finally, a lot of people will value bet a whole range of crap on the river when the last two streets get checked through.

We will be getting 5 to 1 on the river call. I think were winning over 30% of the time, so calling seems to make sense.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:49 PM

Kerlossos - I don't think MP3 has the straight. Then the question is, does he have a deuce (or better) or not? If not, what was he playing after this flop?

He might have had a flush draw, or two pairs, maybe kings and queens. Maybe he had a flush draw with a pair of kings and now has make two pairs (kings and deuces) on the river.

When you don't bet the turn it doesn't look much like you have a straight after all. When you don't bet the river, it doesn't look much like you have anything at all.

Thus MP3 could either be betting the void or could have made trips or better on the river. You can't tell which and either is reasonable.

More often than one time in five your opponent will not have trips or better.

Thus you should check/call on the river.

Buzz
Old 06-12-2007, 04:20 PM

Thanks for the advices. I'm really passive preflop and limp almost every hand I play, but raising seems like a good option here. I have to work on my preflop play I think.