Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2007, 12:49 PM

Default Why Alex Jacobs is a smart man

This post doesn't refer to anyone as ghey, ugly, fat,or an annoying loudmouth, I apologize in advance.

On the WSOP broadcast last Tuesday, Alex admitted that his "tournament results probably exceeded his poker skills".

That is a realistic comment that many tournament winners would do well to adopt. It's pretty sad to see the tournament trail getting littered with people who over estimate their skill and underestimate the realities of tournament poker. Whether it's Mark Newhouse getting "fleeced" by his "friends" or Shannon Shorr blogging about how terrible players x,y and z are, yet they are exceeding his own results, it's the same story over and over. Someone gets lucky during their first few years of playing tournaments and way over estimates not only their own skill level, but doesn't understand that you need excellent money management to weather the huge expenses, taxes, and general overhead to continue doing what you love.

Alex seems to understand this. Good for him.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Why Alex Jacobs is a smart man

Definitely refreshing to see.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:54 PM

great to see a successful tourney player remain humble
Old 07-13-2007, 12:56 PM

really true, and the ironic part is that his skills are better then most who aren't admitting it

you can pretty much say its impossible to make a living playing tournaments unless your name is phil hellmuth
Old 07-13-2007, 12:56 PM

"Shannon Shorr blogging about how terrible players x,y and z are"

I havn't read that from his blog
Old 07-13-2007, 12:57 PM

This is indeed evidence that he is a smart man. However, the reason he is a smart man, and therefore the answer to the implied question 'Why is Alex Jacobs a smart man?' is 'because he is a jew with a giant jew-fro.'
Old 07-13-2007, 01:06 PM

AJ definitely comes across as one of the most likeable players out there, both in the recent WSOP broadcast and last year's USPC.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Shannon Shorr blogging about how terrible players x,y and z are"

I havn't read that from his blog

[/ QUOTE ]

He has slammed Humberto Brenes, Rene Angelil, and this is quoted from his blog "I was happy to see a very bad French player named Paul Testud two to my left though, because he is really a bleeder."

Maybe these people are "bad" to Shannon, but they do fairly well in tournaments. I really have enjoyed Shannon's blog, but he seems to slam a lot of the people who knock him out of tournaments when it appears from the blog that he likes to shove mediocre hands and makes wrong reads for all of his chips. We all do it, but if it's happening a lot, then maybe you're overestimating your skills and under estimating your opponents'.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:16 PM

I've been a big AJ fan since he's come into prominence, I love stories about his slow decision making putting his opponents on tilt. And I liked it too when he said his results probably exceeded his ability, but he was clear to say that he thinks he's a very good player. I'd love to hear DN say something as grounded as that..
Old 07-13-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is indeed evidence that he is a smart man. However, the reason he is a smart man, and therefore the answer to the implied question 'Why is Alex Jacobs a smart man?' is 'because he is a jew with a giant jew-fro.'

[/ QUOTE ]

b/c he went to Yale, perhaps?