Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2007, 08:18 PM

Default Re: Several Hotshots Supposedly Broke Or In Debt

What a great thread.

Whats wrong with taking pleasure in seeing some of the hot-shots broke? Half of them are probably complete tools.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
David,

You are one lame old man and I'd much rather be any of these broke hotshots than be your panzy ass. You take great comfort in these big famous names, who get to make money off TV deals and bone D list celebrities, when they go broke. You remind me of my HS chemistry teacher who had a PHD in chemistry, you consistently tell everyone (I read a few recent posts of yours in the finance forums) that you are a lazy genius, and quite frankly I admire the scrappy idiot or the John Robert Belland's of the world more than I admire you and your advanced yet waste of space intellect.

This is the lamest piece of gossip ever, made even more lame by the fact that you refuse to out anyone yet state that Guy staked one of these big losers. Great David, the whole [censored] world knows that Guy stakes Booth, you are a BIG MAN for keeping names out of this thread.

How about you leave NVG until you come back with actual gossip that people might care about? And while we're on the topic, how about you show a little courtesy for the players you sit with in cash games? You annoy everyone endlessly when you constantly leave the table to go check on horses/Brandi.

"Who knows the great enthusiams, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who have never known neither victory nor defeat." teddy r

These hotshots might be broke, but at least they probably went down with a fight and had some life to their step and are not spending their entire life underachieving.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know if this is a joke. Some people will take a verbal shot at a poker authority, just like people will make a move on a top player at the tables. It makes them feel important.

Sklansky has certainly acheived a lot with his poker writings. I assume you look down on his career in poker, and he should have devoted his intellect to something productive, like being a lawyer.

Also, Sklansky has probably made an excellent living for many years playing poker, and he probably understands what it takes to be successful at it. I suggest that you young hotshots would be wise to listen to him. He has probably seen plenty of hotshots flame out.

I think the main point he was making was that the Big Game, like any other poker game, has winners and losers. Doyle, Chip, Phil, and maybe some others are the sharks of the game. If you think the fish are only Jerry Buss and a few other wealthy businessmen, you are mistaken. Some of the other regulars could probably beat 300/600 fairly easily, as Sklansky suggests, but may be break even or losing in the long run at 2K/4K.

Seeking greatness in poker by playing higher limits is a very dangerous approach. Game selection and playing at the appropriate stakes, not too high or too low, is important to being successful in poker.

The people who play the big names are atleast good players. Some of the major tournament superstars are probably just players who got lucky in one tournament or have other sources of wealth and have the bankroll to become regular at high buyin tournaments.

Remember the donk who won the WSOP PLO event and looked silly on TV. He has since taken 2nd in two high buyin events. There is a low limit ABC grinder who won the WSOP ME and found he could make money writing poker books if he couldn't make money playing. I am sure Phil Gordon is a good player, but he made millions with a startup company, and then started entering major tournaments, and having some success. This makes him an authority on tournament poker.

Making a living gambling is a precarious thing. If you are a good enough player and handle other thing well, you will probably be very successful. But with someepoker players becoming semicelebrities, there is a temptation to artificially seek out fame and fortune. Some may be successful with this approach, but it is a dangerous path.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:37 AM

Actually Michigan has the largest foreclosure rate in the country
Old 06-03-2007, 09:59 AM

Old 06-03-2007, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
At the very least, it seems fairly common knowledge that BB is known to often open all-in blind for like 50k in a mid-limit NL game(5-10 or so).

[/ QUOTE ]
He moves all in for $50K in an NL game with 5-10 blinds? As in open pushing with a 5000 BB stack? haha WTF. Is this in live uncapped games or what?

I'm assuming other people in those games don't have stacks anywhere near that big to have to risk so much to call him?

Anyways I've heard interviews with Brad Booth and he sounds a bit brain dead. There was an interview with him on the Rounders podcast trying to explain his huge bluff against Ivey and he basically said that he did it because he wanted to be feared and respected. Just from the way he talks you can tell that he's not very well educated though. I'm not saying that means that he's not an great poker player, but he sure doesn't sound like an articulate and smart person like Greenstein does.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played $25/50 with him this past summer at the Bellagio...he sat down with a ton of cash, probably about $400K or so. He went all in the first hand, some shortstack called him for about $5K or so. Brad asked him if he had a made hand, guy said "yes." Brad offered him $3K to both muck their cards, guy agreed.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, bigstackaments. Also the guy with the made hand sucks at negotiating. He couldve got $4000 had he put up a fight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, no. Let's take a near-worst case scenario:

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=15234
pokenum -h as ad - 2c 7h
Holdem Hi: 1712304 enumerated boards
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
As Ad 1493820 87.24 212248 12.40 6236 0.36 0.874
2c 7h 212248 12.40 1493820 87.24 6236 0.36 0.126

So if he has AA vs BB's 27o, his equity is 87.4%, or $8740, so $3740 profit on average. He was more likely in the range of 75% equity or so, so I'd say he likely made a great deal with zero variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? 87.4% equity of $5000 is $4370!!!! Anyways my point was that Brad Booth just wanted to muck the hands, so he had no idea how strong the guys hand really was. If he was a true hustla, he would've made Brad believe he had aces or kings or queens whether he did or not, making $4000 a fair settlement. The hands would've never been seen by anyone, they would've been thrown in the muck and everyone would sit around and ponder whythe hell Brad Booth has a 8000BB stack. But he obviously wasnt a hustla, thus my comment on why he sucks at negotiating.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]that's damn funny!
Old 06-05-2007, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I save my disdain for Annie Duke (who has money only because she married/divorced a rich guy, and I don't believe is a winning player)

[/ QUOTE ]
Ben Duke was maybe a thousand-aire.

Ben and Annie were basically living at poverty level when Howard initially taught Annie how to play poker and staked her for something like $2500. Her money is all from poker (and subsequent poker-related endorsements, etc).

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes.

This is pretty well known. Or at least I thought it was.

Ben Duke was a childhood friend of Annie's. Annie proposed to him kind of out of the blue. (They weren't even dating.) He said yes. They got married and lived pretty much in poverty in Montana. Until Annie started playing poker and got some lessons from Howard.

The whole story is detailed in her book. If you think Ben Duke had money, you're misinformed.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-26-2007, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How did I miss this genius the first time around.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:15 PM

I can't believe you called Andy Beal an Amateur!