Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 09:30 PM

Default Re: Good Fold or playing too tight?

[ QUOTE ]
Don't raise to begin with.

[/ QUOTE ]

there is nothing more to say. maybe i will elaborate. never raise out of SB with AQ. i try not to do it with AK or tens. jacks are a coin flip and where the limpers came from is a large piece of that coin.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think the raise is fine. but 225 is way too big. 130-150 is a decent raise, and id fold to the action

[/ QUOTE ]
you realize that this is building a pot to play OOP against kids who dont fold?
Old 11-20-2007, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Action is very scary. It looks like a fold, but I'm not sure in a $2.25.

[/ QUOTE ]

This thread is the perfect example of why you put the stakes in the title. When I got started playing the 3.5s I'd push AK and get called all day by A10+ and even just random garbage.

I remember one 3.5 where UTG pushed AI 1st hand, UTG+1 calls AI, I'm UTG+2 with KK and call. UTG flips over a-10, UTG+1 shows 5-3s.

Either just push (b/c of low stakes) or complete and c/f if you miss.

As played, it depends on your edge over this field. If you've been on 2+2 long enough you crush this level it's probably a fold.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
your hand is likely to be best but isn't dominant.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. AQ is bad news. Especially with all the raises and re-raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry - my original post was regarding the first decision, when you just had a bunch of limpers. After the two others have raised, your AQ looks like 72o to me - dump it.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I would have done exactly what you did... only possible difference is a slightly smaller raise, but likely would have tried to make it as pricey as you did.

BTW, WTH did they have there? KQ and AJ or something crazy like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are exactly right!

However, i was not really concerned about the outcome, since I feel if I am put in this position time and time again, I find it standard to fold to this madness early on.

I find it more interesting that the community thinks that a raise here was bad... I have a fairly tight image at tables, and usually end up showing down worthy hands.

But more importantly is the level I play at. For instance, when I play 20-30 sng's with my best friend, I find those levels much different.

I feel that at the 2dollar level, you have players like myself who are striving to be a winning player, and those who just "flip coins", a common mistake for beginners.

I have been on 2p2 some time now and I really have improved substantially. I have more than doubled my BR since late July and have not looked back.

I appreciate all your thoughts here and put in the same position, may indeed play the hand different PreFlop next time. Being a game of many situations requires constant adjustment and a lust to be a "winner".
Old 11-21-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think the raise is fine. but 225 is way too big. 130-150 is a decent raise, and id fold to the action

[/ QUOTE ]

One more thing on raising.... Raising typically 3.5x to 4.5 x based on position is pretty standard, but when facing several limpers in a sng, I don't want anyone getting a cheap look at the flop, so I typically raise the pot up more than my standard(in position) to flush the limpers out.

My fault may indeed have been the raise oop here, since I ended up donating 4.5 BB to the pot. But even on the button I would have folded here this early in a sng, at any level facing this kind of action.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:55 PM

I just got back into playing SNG's online, (stopped when Party went away) but since I started with the 5.50's on UB, I have found that the "bet pot" button is pretty much an all purpose friend for PF raises. Usually pretty close to what I would want to bet, and a time saver for MT'ing.

I just dropped a few bucks on UB last week and am finding that the 5.50 level very easy and I should be moving up very soon. I tried a few of the 2.20's and they were rediculous. No one would fold any marginal hand and would call anything with any draw. Not the way I want to play.

I imagine though that if you know what you are doing you should be able to move up fairly quickly and get to a point where people wont 4 bet AI w an AJ.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:05 PM

early on I just flat with AQ here...why go crazy OOP in a low buy in where you will get callers lining up with a junk hand? Were you trying to steal the limps or what? raises should have a purpose and this one feels off...
Old 11-21-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
early on I just flat with AQ here...why go crazy OOP in a low buy in where you will get callers lining up with a junk hand? Were you trying to steal the limps or what? raises should have a purpose and this one feels off...

[/ QUOTE ]

You can raise because you will get callers w/ a7 who stack off on aces, and callers with QJ who stack off with Q-high boards.

LOL at everyone saying raising is awful. It may not be your style, but its not awful. People are calling with much worse, and if OP is confident postflop, raising is +EV imo.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:48 PM

It's not awful, it's just clearly worse than completing.
It's not like people who can't get away from TPNK in raised pots will lay them down in limped multiway pots either.