Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2007, 09:01 AM

Default Re: $10 - AJ Early On

No I wanted to say that anyone before him could have limped with AK.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:45 AM

am i the only one that doesnt mind raising pre. someitmes i fold this sometimes i limp sometimes i raise. tho i pretty much always raise AJs in this spot. you end up getting called pre by all sorts of crap. i'd probly bet a little less on both streets either way tho ur gonna end up felting this
Old 09-28-2007, 09:59 AM

I used to play this the same way like you some time ago (as I was used this from cash games)! 1000 SNG's later I'm just foldin AJ early. You are too often dominated by AK, AQ! It's just not worth it!! SNG's are completely different from cash games and you should play really tight early on! So my raising range early is AQ+ TT+ (only if I'm first to enter the pot!) and I call with small pp.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:10 AM

Grunch.

I think you have to call here.

The flat call preflop signifies weakness, a weak ace a lot of the times at this level. The flop call doesn't show any strength either. Could still be Ax or a flush draw.

The biggest reason to call is the pot odds. By the time he pushes you on the turn, you have to call 850 to win 1775, so you're getting better than 2:1 on your call.

So to fold, you have to be over 66% sure he's got you beat, which I don't think I'm giving anyone credit for at this limit. I think you are good at least %50 of the time here. Probably a lot more, but the pot odds make this a trivial call imo.

Flop and turn are good. Preflop I'm folding AJo here most the time. My standard open raise at 15/30 is 105. That's just me though.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:31 AM

Is AJo really a fold in MP? There are essentially five people in this hand, and AJ seems raiseable at this point, especially if you have a chance to win the pot now or go heads up against someone.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:19 AM

For the record... He had AJ and we chopped it...

Thanks for all the discussion.

Conculsion... I still don't think I'm at the point of folding AJ while opening the betting with 5 people left in the hand; but I certainly see everybody's point.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is AJo really a fold in MP? There are essentially five people in this hand, and AJ seems raiseable at this point, especially if you have a chance to win the pot now or go heads up against someone.

[/ QUOTE ]

between the value of chips that you lose being more valuable than the chips that you gain, and the problems you run into when dominated , it takes post flop control to start raising hands like AJo in mp in l1. yes, sometimes its ok but the reality is at this level most people dont have that necessary control to make it consistently playable. When it is, limping is going to yield good results as well, and presents much less risk. folding is fine still. When the tournament progresses and table shortens AJ becomes far more playable.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:17 PM

On the turn you never have the best hand unless BB is just a complete moron (possible here).
Old 09-28-2007, 02:24 PM

I used to open-raise AJ early in SNGs from any position, but after reading some of the advice on this forum to tighten up, I have eliminated AJ from my opening range and I think my results have improved because of it. I think the problem with a hand like AJ is that if you hit an A on the flop, you might win a decent amount of chips from someone who stays in with Ax, but you risk getting stacked by AQ or AK. It depends on the limits you play as well, but I find that even at the $11s, most players won't risk their whole stack with AT or weaker aces on an A-high flop, but will often get it all in with AQ or AK.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

between the value of chips that you lose being more valuable than the chips that you gain, and the problems you run into when dominated , it takes post flop control to start raising hands like AJo in mp in l1. yes, sometimes its ok but the reality is at this level most people dont have that necessary control to make it consistently playable. When it is, limping is going to yield good results as well, and presents much less risk. folding is fine still. When the tournament progresses and table shortens and the blinds increase to the point where they are worth stealing AJ becomes far more playable.

[/ QUOTE ]

You summed it up nicely, but fyp slightly