Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2007, 02:47 AM

Default Felt lost on this one... med strength hand deep

I'm running like 27/26, he's 22/18, Marshall28. I haven't really been that active despite those stats, and I think this is the first time I've 3-bet him since we got this deep, although we've had a fair 3-betting history in the past.

I don't have that much experience with deep stack play, but my thoughts were basically he is opening a massive range in the CO which AJs is way ahead of, and if I actually do pick up a really good hand I want to be able to 3-bet that preflop without it looking fishy. So AJs seemed like a decent hand to 3-bet here.

FWIW he thought awhile on the flop, checked turn pretty quickly, and thought awhile on the river. I also think his calling range preflop is pretty wide given the depth of our stacks and the likelihood I have a big pair.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($244.50)
UTG ($197)
MP ($798.70)
Button ($221.65)
Hero ($458.15)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $28</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $20.

Flop: ($58) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $38</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $125</font>, Hero calls $87.

Turn: ($308) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP checks.

River: ($308) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $200</font>, Hero...
Old 09-27-2007, 02:48 AM

Default Re: Felt lost on this one

i usually check flop.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:03 AM

Yeah, in retrospect I agree. Minus that, what do you think? I mean, if I bet flop I have to at least call a raise, right? And what's my decision like on the river?
Old 09-27-2007, 03:05 AM

Hmm, I prob bet/fold the river maybe. It's tough since we're playing a huge pot here and I'd rather not. Which is why I like a flop check.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:09 AM

Bet/fold??? What worse hands is he calling with? I only have a psb left, how can I possibly bet/fold?

Also, the other problem I have is that even if I check the flop he can escalate the pot to his liking and end up all-in by the river.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:13 AM

he's going to have weaker As here, and might try to get value on the river. When we c/c we see a set or AK/AQ every single time. The only think he could potentially have is a busted flush draw and I'd rather bet than c/c.

Basically, I think c/c is the worst possible option here. And shoving is pretty bad, too. Tough spot, but I'd prob fire $100 and give him credit if he raises because he can't think he can bluff us giving us such good odds to call.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:17 AM

Given that you are so deep and that you are oop would it not be better just to call pre?

You have not shown any strength on the turn or river so I don't think villian is putting you on an A and are betting with something like (77+,AJs+,AJo+) so I would call.
How about us betting ~180 on the river?
Old 09-27-2007, 03:20 AM

No way man, his flop raise really polarizes his range IMO. I think AT and down definitely just call the flop.

Also, I disagree with this statement: "The only think he could potentially have is a busted flush draw and I'd rather bet than c/c." I mean, his range preflop is pretty wide like I said, and it doesn't seem inconceivable for him to bluff-raise a flop like this and put some pressure on me with JJ-KK.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:22 AM

There is no way villain has JJ-KK, he may or may not put you on that hand and raise the flop, but those hands are NOT in his range
Old 09-27-2007, 03:25 AM

Listen, I think betting the river is incredibly awful. I get called by worse sooo rarely. Him having a worse hand worthy of calling a bet doesn't make any sense here.