Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2007, 09:40 PM

Default 2 4/180 spots I\'m probably overthinking

Still getting used to multi-tabling, so no reads beyond the table seems to limp a lot.

First spot:

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t15/t30
8 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t1870
UTG+1: t3150
MP1: t1090
MP2: t1820
CO: t2340
Button: t1470
SB: t800
hero: t1210

Pre-flop: (8 players) hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls t30 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t45)</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls t30 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t75)</font>, 3 folds, SB calls t15 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t105)</font>, hero ?

I suck with this stack size thats just above open pushing level. What to you raise to preflop, and what is your plan for the flop (especially on a whiffed flop, since thats what you usually get)?

Second spot:

Just got moved, so again no reads (although like I said before, I suck at multi-tabling, so I probably wouldn't have any anyway)

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t50/t100
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t1250
hero: t1330
MP1: t1780
MP2: t975
MP3: t1390
CO: t3840
Button: t4130
SB: t4945
BB: t4195

Pre-flop: (9 players) hero is UTG+1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG folds, hero ?

Is this just a simple fold pre, or am I at the point where I need to be taking risks to get some chips? Again, on the flop (assuming you make it that far), what is your plan? If you fold this, what is your raising range, and what would you do with those hands?
Old 07-15-2007, 09:44 PM

Default Re: 2 4/180 spots I\'m probably overthinking

first hand raise to 180.
second hand is a fold.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:05 PM

1) Raise to ~170. If I miss the flop, check/fold is the best choice IMO.

2) Fold. My raising range is AJs+; AQo+; 88+;
Old 07-15-2007, 10:41 PM

1. Like they said, i'd raise to 200
2. Fold as well
Old 07-15-2007, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
first hand raise to 180.
second hand is a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes on the second hand I'll get retarded and limp hoping someone raises it standard like and I can shove over it for some FE. As for the first hand if you miss the flop and the number of players in the hand with you is 2 or lower and you think it's a harmless flop a cbet will take it down alot, however if you get looked up your probably looking at being commited and behind so check-fold is completely logical depending on how much you like to gamble.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:59 AM

I may just be stupid but on 2nd hand I will limp and try to get in cheap just for the flush possibilities. (While typing this I am starting to doubt my play) If later position reraises pf I fold, if miss flop fold.

Comments?

Be Harsh, the only way to learn, does anyone see what I am saying or is it all around bad play?
Old 07-16-2007, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
first hand raise to 180.
second hand is a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes on the second hand I'll get retarded and limp hoping someone raises it standard like and I can shove over it for some FE. As for the first hand if you miss the flop and the number of players in the hand with you is 2 or lower and you think it's a harmless flop a cbet will take it down alot, however if you get looked up your probably looking at being commited and behind so check-fold is completely logical depending on how much you like to gamble.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am never a proponent of limping around w 13 BB's, but, I must admit, as they're handled anymore, a limp from this position will see 7 of the fastest folds you've ever seen in low and mid low stakes. Everyone it seems is seeing monsters in the closet. I can't tell you how many times I've seen this at these stakes. It is a play I rarely use only in lower stakes at weak tight tables and antes must be in play. I prefer a few moe BB's as 13 is getting under the fold equity line. It actually has a high success rate if used in the right spots as a min bet flop will often take it down. 2 bb's invested can pay dividends. Easy fold in higher stakes game. As mentioned earlier, if an aggro player comes at you, you can repop profitably as well. I think it is a rarely used situational play, one that has quite a few variables to make it a success, hence the snap fold at higher limits.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:51 AM

First hand,like everyone else,I make it 180ish. What I do after the flop depends on the amount of callers.If only one of them calls,I probably cbet,if everyone calls,it's a c/f.

Second hand,I know I play those wrong all the time,I probably fold here,AT no good usually.I think I'll take my chances in position with a weaker hand tbh.

Baby M,I used to limp with this hand as well,but without crunching numbers.I can't believe that can be right.Marginal hand oop,I'd rather shove then limp here.

I think life would be easier if we all folded AT and AJ preflop.....so what I'm saying is,I don't know...although i'm pretty sure there are some regulars here that'll totally know what the best play is with this hand in this position,hopefully they'll reply
Old 07-16-2007, 03:55 AM

hand 2 id limp. if raised easy dump. 13 bb too big to just shove ep this is too weak.

hand 1 id check for deceptive purposess. sounds like a loose passive tbl. u raise they call no a or k hits and now you are throwing chips away trying to steal w a c-bet. there really isn't enough in the pot to just stick in a huge raise.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:35 AM

1. with this many limpers early im raisin this up to like 200 or so and lookin to play a big pot if i miss its c/fold time if i hit im shoving.

2. I disagree wit most people on this hand bc im raisin to 400 in this spot, i mean do u really think ur gonna have a better hand soon enough to where ur double is worth somethin. I mean u wait and get 3 bad hands in a row blinds come through and ur down to 1k ur double is almost pointless. Im lookin to get agg and double right here to almost 3k.