Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2007, 06:30 PM

Default Resteal problem solving (stars 100r)

Lately i've been 3 betting people pre flop more and more and trying to set them up by 3 betting light to start then laying off them till i have a hand. The 100r is actually one tournament i don't like 3 betting a [censored] load in because its a move everyones ready for and used to, but you still need it in your arsenal.

The villain in question in this hand is about 13/10/3. His open had always been 2.5X and he had been opening in LP once a round every round for quite a while now.

I was waiting for a good situation and manageable enough hand to shoot back with, and this one looked just pretty enough.

A while back i made a post "teach me how to check a flop" that had to do with checking after open PFRing and this is a little like that, but not so specific.

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t200/t400
(Ante: t25)
7 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t22782
UTG+1: t44172
MP1: t17547
CO: t8505
Button: t19797
SB: t15118
Hero: t22760

Pre-flop: (7 players) Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
4 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to t1000</font>, SB folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t3200</font>, Button calls t2200 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t4575)</font>.

My question for all of you is, on what kind of flop textures are you looking to cont bet, on which are you looking to CR, on which C/F and which c/c?

Feel free to discuss not specific to my starting hand, but in general what kind of textures you look for.

Thanks guys, Bond
Old 04-26-2007, 07:40 PM

Default Re: Resteal problem solving (stars 100r)

Interesting question. I'd probably C-bet A-hi and 8-hi or lower boards, C-R Q-hi and 4-flush boards, C-F most J-hi boards and some T-hi and 9-hi boards, and check-calling doesn't enter my mind here at all.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:45 PM

I like to c-bet most of the good flops like A-high Q-high or 8-high or flush draw and c/r ugly flops like monotone spades just to take a final stab at the pot but with a check-raise.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:13 PM

you're 3betting here just to 3bet

also, sizing is poor and so are effective stacks to do this with as you're too deep to c/shove flops, and you're going to end up seeing a turn card a lot with like 4xPSB effective stacks
Old 04-26-2007, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

also, sizing is poor and so are effective stacks to do this with as you're too deep to c/shove flops, and you're going to end up seeing a turn card a lot with like 4xPSB effective stacks

[/ QUOTE ]

His sizing is legit and so is his logic for doing it. In fact the stack sizes are good for a flop CR if villian bets the right amount. Pot is approx 7k or so on the flop. If he checks and villian bets say 5k then the pot is 12k and it's 14k for villian to call. That's a standard check raise basically.

I'm probably cbetting between 75% of flops. He has already signaled to us that he probably does not have QQ+. Say the flop comes out 843r, I would probably check this flop. I might check call or check fold because at this point if we check and he bets he is repping an overpair.

If the flop came T26r I might check fold. But it would also be resonable to cbet this.

I guess for flops that we would CR. Any hearts or combo draw would be fine.

If the flop came 884 I could see arguments for both checking and bets. I would probably check because the deck is crushed and why not give him a chance to bluff or value bet his JJ.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:57 PM

I don't think representing QQ here is a bad idea.
I c-bet 100% of the flops and shut down to a flop call if I miss.

Though [censored] it seems I've been making lots of bad plays lately so who knows...
Old 04-26-2007, 11:57 PM

With these stack sizes, you could often check with the intention to call or checkraise, as well as to fold, so is hard to say what hands to cbet.

Preflop, your reraise is typical for the 100r, but I would fold or call with this hand and these stack sizes.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur completely, unless of course the button has been thinking it's way too soft in your camp.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur completely, unless of course the button has been thinking it's way too soft in your camp.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand why you guys are against 3 betting light. If villian is decent at all his opening range will be fairly wide here (yes, even for a 13/10). Therefore 3 betting light some of the time is +EV by itself.

Btw given the stack size stacks and that you are out of position I prefer a raise in the 3400-3800 range.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:28 AM

I don't like 3-betting light too much with these stack sizes. With 12-30BB, you can make a resteal allin or essentially so. With 70-110BB, it is hard for villain to 4-bet, since he winds up playing for all his chips, which is an overbet.

Here, you give villain a possible reraise allin and you have a tricky situation OOP if he flat calls.

I don't think the 3-bet is bad, but I wouldn't do it without a specific reason.