Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 05:21 AM

Default Sore eyes

Hey for first the first time in my short poker career i am doing nothing but poker at the moment.. My goal is to play 8 hrs a day for the next 4 weeks.

Its been going alright but i;m getting really sore eyes from being in front of the computer for so long...
So i'm sure alot of you pro's out there would have encountered this before..
Can you recommend any products or eye exercices that you may do to deal with this?
Old 11-21-2007, 07:34 AM

Default Re: Sore eyes

You need to make sure your eyes are not focused on the screen constantly. Regularly look up and focus on something further away. I would also break up the 8 hours into smaller chunks if you can. Just taking a 10 minute break will help enormously.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:54 AM

What's your monitor like?
The LCD's tend to hurt your eyes less i hear.
Also you should run your monitor at the highest refresh rate possible. My old monitor ran at 60Hz. Not good.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also you should run your monitor at the highest refresh rate possible. My old monitor ran at 60Hz. Not good.

[/ QUOTE ]
How do you adjust the refresh rate?
Old 11-21-2007, 09:50 AM

Open up the Display options in your Control Panel and click on the settings tab where you can change your resolution. Then open up the Advanced section and click on the Monitor tab. Refresh rates should be in there.

This only helps with the older monitors. LCDs still have an option to change refresh rates but it doesn't actually do anything because of the way LCDs work. They are also much easier on your eyes.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

60? ewww. people go blind this way.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:23 PM

Darn i just bought my laptop.. Its a dell inspiron 1720 and the only option i have is 60hz [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Or is there something i have to do to make more options available.. When i go onto the control panel that is the only option i have... Or will i have to buy a monitor?
Old 11-21-2007, 11:35 PM

On the LCD note - I play FPS' frequently. Moving from a CRT to a LCD I noticed I could play from 2 hours, to 8 hours (on the extreme of course). They really do help and prevent headaches a lot better than CRT.

And I also heard drinking regularly helps.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:54 PM

From what I looked up on the inspiron 1720 just now it says it has a True Life widescreen LCD display so that may explain why you can't change the refresh rate. That's great if your laptop came with one (multitabling will be a lot easier on a widescreen as well).

60 is the default option so that's probably why it says that is the refresh rate, but as I said before this has no effect on an LCD.

If you are still feeling tired on the LCD, if that's what yours came with, you may be sitting to close or not taking enough breaks. For myself, a 10 minute break every 90 minutes or so is pretty good, but playing on a desktop allows me to sit farther away as well. One solution may be to set up your laptop like a desktop and use an external mouse and keyboard if you have them.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:55 PM

might sound simple, but drink a lot of water. You'll find you keep having to take regular bathroom breaks and this'll get you up. Otherwise it's easy to get lost in the game.