Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2007, 06:26 PM

Default Re: So I\'m going to Prison for 2 years

[ QUOTE ]
ikes,

Let me make this much clear: I do NOT condone driving clearly impaired, and am not proud to say that in my storied drinking career have done so. And I mean just impaired, not blackout drunk and driving into people's front yards. That's some scary, dangerous [censored] right there that should be punished accordingly. I don't think I have a problem with OP's punishment in the least. I haven't bothered to think it through because I don't plan to get three DUIs and be forced to have an opinion on it.

I have just heard too many stories of non-impaired drivers, or people being pulled over just for being guilty of driving and blowing .08-.10 and getting popped when their impairment was negligible to nonexistent to not be outraged about the laws going too far. I hope you can see the distinction I'm making; others whether they're trolling or just can't give up the ghost on their outdated opinion seem content to label all DUI offenders the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

blowing .08-.10 is 5-6 beers in an hour in most guys (180-200 lbs). If a person isn't impaired at all 5-6 beers downed in a hour, they are probably an alcoholic. Most people are significantly impaired 5-6 down, but if someone isn't, and that someone is driving, that person is heading down a dark road.

edited for clarity
Old 11-24-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are aware OP isn't just some guy who got pulled over after having a couple glasses of wine at dinner, right? From everything he's said it's pretty hard to argue that he doesn't deserve a few minutes in the penalty box.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think anyone is disputing his sentence... but obviously this thread took a decent amount of guts, as this is an embarrassing situation for OP. To come in here and moralize or get on a high horse and say things like "I hope you serve every day, I'm so much better than you, blah blah" is just really poor taste and reeks of deuchebaggery every bit as much as driving while intoxicated imo.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I never understood the vehement anti drunk driving rants, people acting like it's one of the more horrible acts a person can commit

Of course it is reckless and irresponsibile, but to get worked up to the point where you wish someone excessive jail time, to feel the anger and disgust you feel towards those who rape and kill just seems bizarre to me. Unless, of course, you lost someone to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is that is a very easily avoided crime. Don't [censored] drive while drunk, its not hard. It's not a crime of passion, or being in the wrong spot at the wrong time. Its a crime of putting everyone else's life in danger so you don't have to call a cab or spend the night in a hotel. The fact that drunk driving is so easily preventable and that it can cause so much damage is what bothers ppl the most

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I never understood the vehement anti drunk driving rants, people acting like it's one of the more horrible acts a person can commit

Of course it is reckless and irresponsibile, but to get worked up to the point where you wish someone excessive jail time, to feel the anger and disgust you feel towards those who rape and kill just seems bizarre to me. Unless, of course, you lost someone to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is that is a very easily avoided crime. Don't [censored] drive while drunk, its not hard. It's not a crime of passion, or being in the wrong spot at the wrong time. Its a crime of putting everyone else's life in danger so you don't have to call a cab or spend the night in a hotel. The fact that drunk driving is so easily preventable and that it can cause so much damage is what bothers ppl the most

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said.

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't easily avoided when I've been drinking for 6+ hours and I'm hungry. There's no decision. I'm driving.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
blowing .08-.10 is 5-6 beers in an hour in most guys (180-200 lbs). If a person isn't impaired at all 5-6 beers downed in a hour, they are probably an alcoholic. Most people are significantly impaired 5-6 down, but if someone isn't, and that someone is driving, that person is heading down a dark road.

[/ QUOTE ]
You stumbled across another interesting point about why the laws are effed: people who are regular drinkers function "normal" at much higher BAC thresholds than those who are light/occasional drinkers. Take the guy I know who 8+ hours after his last drink was still somehow >.03, despite not being hungover or drunk. From what I've discerned he probably has a problem with the bottle but deliberately never, ever drives after drinking anymore to avoid putting himself or others at risk or to get popped again.

As for the "dark road" where they are over the legal limit but can function just fine, are you suggesting that people be punished for having a problem with alcohol? That's sort of adding insult to injury, isn't it?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i hope you get raped a lot

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
i think youre lucky as hell that you get to go to prison instead of being dead or killing someone else

i hope prison sucks 4 you

[/ QUOTE ]

This attitude seems dumb to me. DUI seems to cover a whole lot of ground, in terms of actual capacity to drive. I've known people who have gotten DUIs that the cops acknowledged at the time were [censored]; one of my friends was even told "Hey, trust me, just go get a lawyer and you'll beat this no problem." I could be wrong, but I think this was after he blew something legal like a .05 and the cop decided to call him intoxicated anyway.

Now, the OP does not sound like it was that kind of deal. And there certainly are some DUIs where the people are in no shape to be driving at all. But I think it's a broad enough legal classification that treating it as one of the few remaining True Evils is usually going a little overboard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gumpzilla, I don't agree, but I certainly don't agree with the two quotes either.

The guys is going to prison and he deserves it. We are alwasy reading about some random DUI guy who has X amount of charges and no licence and he kills a familiy while drunk driving. Then everyone says, why doesn't the law do something?

I think this guy deserves his sentence, but I certainly don't hope he gets raped or assualted or anything like that in prison.

I don't like the posts that are minimizing his offence, and I don't like the ones that wish the worst for him in prison.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said.

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't easily avoided when I've been drinking for 6+ hours and I'm hungry. There's no decision. I'm driving.

[/ QUOTE ]

*** You are ignoring this user ***
Old 11-24-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are aware OP isn't just some guy who got pulled over after having a couple glasses of wine at dinner, right? From everything he's said it's pretty hard to argue that he doesn't deserve a few minutes in the penalty box.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes he does. Also, lol at penalty box. The op is a crystal clear example of someone who definitely earned their punishment, and I'm not one of the holier-than-thous when it comes to drunk driving.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
*** You are ignoring this user ***

[/ QUOTE ]

damn, that's all it took for you to ignore him? Some people are quick on that trigger. I've yet to ignore anyone on 2p2
Old 11-24-2007, 06:39 PM

apparently I was wrong on what I heard about how much it takes to get you to .08

Here's a blood-alcohol calculator I found:

http://dryspace.org/bac-calculator.htm

But it's kind of weird.
It says I can have 4 drinks in 1 hour and I'm still legal.
But if I have 5 drinks in 2 hours then I'm over 0.8.