Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2006, 06:16 PM

Default Re: It it final yet? Chip Reese 2006 WSOP $50K H.O.R.S.E Champ

Andy wasn't even that aggressive. To be honest, I wouldn't like Chip's chances HU against Ivey, who he is familiar with, let alone an "unknown" for him, such as Antonius or even Singer.

He isn't a big dog to anyone, that's for sure. But if gambling is all about finding slight edges, I'd put my money on the mentioned above in a NLH HU match against Reese.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:19 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
Yawn.

Any other trolls who haven't been reading my posts up until that want to chime in now?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just disputing your suggestion that NLHE is played in the big game 25% of the time; it seems to be much higher than that.

Other than that, I agree with you.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just disputing your suggestion that NLHE is played in the big game 25% of the time; it seems to be much higher than that.

Other than that, I agree with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since I have nothing else to do, I'll pull out a very small sample size and grab the last 12 Negreanu blog entries where he names exactly what is in the rotation:

http://www.angelfire.com/pa5/germany/big_game.html

NL Hold Em is played in 5 of the 12 sessions. Based on quick observations of who is in the game, the players very strongly affect the mix. Elizera often prefers just a limit rotation. Benyamine being a mainstay in the group now has definitely affected the NL/PL games being in more consistently. They also almost always have the NL/PL games in place when Lyle Berman plays.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:28 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
NL Hold Em is played in 5 of the 12 sessions. Based on quick observations of who is in the game, the players very strongly affect the mix. Elizera often prefers just a limit rotation. Benyamine being a mainstay in the group now has definitely affected the NL/PL games being in more consistently. They also almost always have the NL/PL games in place when Lyle Berman plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough--that I certainly agree with.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:34 PM

Breakdown of the games played from the sample:

Hold Em: 12
Stud: 12
Stud Hi-Lo 8-or-better: 12
Omaha Hi-Lo 8-or-better: 12
2-7 Triple Draw: 12

Stud Hi-Lo Regular: 11

Razz: 6

NL Hold em: 5
Pot Limit Omaha: 5
2-7 NL Single Draw: 5

Omaha Hi: 4
A-5 Triple Draw: 3
Chinese Poker: 1
Old 07-15-2006, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome
Old 07-15-2006, 10:28 PM

I think it's pretty interesting that Chip is the Rodney Dangerfield of tournament poker - he doesn't get any respect. But let's face it - his results before this event in tournamnet NLHE haven't been that impressive (last bracelet before this was in 1982 I believe?). I asked Barry Greenstein why this was, and here's what he had to say:

"It's unfair to say that [Chip is not a successful tournament player] because first of all, he doesn't play in that many tournaments. He is only going to play in probably 3 or 4 series events this year and he has missed a lot of them in the past. Also, this hurts players like Chip because when he does play, he doesn't know the how the other players in the field play. If you look at a guy who plays a ton of tournaments, he is going to have a ton of insight into each player at his table, while Chip is playing against unknowns for him. Chip is a great player, and if he did play as many tournaments as other people, he would make the adjustments and win."

By the way, for those of you who didn't get to watch the final table, both players played FANTASTICALLY - this is definitely going to make must-see tv. You gotta feel for Bloch, who didn't seem to make a single mistake but just couldn't win a race for the life of him. Both were total class acts and it was sad when one of them had to lose.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's pretty interesting that Chip is the Rodney Dangerfield of tournament poker - he doesn't get any respect. But let's face it - his results before this event in tournamnet NLHE haven't been that impressive (last bracelet before this was in 1982 I believe?). I asked Barry Greenstein why this was, and here's what he had to say:

"It's unfair to say that [Chip is not a successful tournament player] because first of all, he doesn't play in that many tournaments. He is only going to play in probably 3 or 4 series events this year and he has missed a lot of them in the past. Also, this hurts players like Chip because when he does play, he doesn't know the how the other players in the field play. If you look at a guy who plays a ton of tournaments, he is going to have a ton of insight into each player at his table, while Chip is playing against unknowns for him. Chip is a great player, and if he did play as many tournaments as other people, he would make the adjustments and win."

By the way, for those of you who didn't get to watch the final table, both players played FANTASTICALLY - this is definitely going to make must-see tv. You gotta feel for Bloch, who didn't seem to make a single mistake but just couldn't win a race for the life of him. Both were total class acts and it was sad when one of them had to lose.

[/ QUOTE ]
Reese could probably have as many bracelets as Hellmuth if he played all the WSOP events every year. He can beat the Big Game, so he plays that. Incidently, the Big Game is mostly mixed limit games with some NLHE and PLO, so it probably prepared him pretty well for this tournament.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Breakdown of the games played from the sample:

Hold Em: 12
Stud: 12
Stud Hi-Lo 8-or-better: 12
Omaha Hi-Lo 8-or-better: 12
2-7 Triple Draw: 12

Stud Hi-Lo Regular: 11

Razz: 6

NL Hold em: 5
Pot Limit Omaha: 5
2-7 NL Single Draw: 5

Omaha Hi: 4
A-5 Triple Draw: 3

[/ QUOTE ]

What the [censored]...no Baseball?
pussies.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:18 AM

Yeah, he got lucky for three days against mostly pros. HORSE is a total crap shoot. I could have won it.

[Sarcasm OFF]