Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 04:09 AM

Default Sickening.

This friend of mine knows I dont have any money to deposit. So he tells me I can play tournies on his Fulltilt account with player points, and I could use what I won. As long as I dont use over 2000 of them. First tournament I enter is some 370 person 300fpp tourny it pays 6 spots with a 75$ chip thinggy. Well I ended up winning it.

So now what to do with this satelite chip. Finally someone that I asked in the chat said I had to use it for a 75$ tourney, so I used it on a Sit and Go tournament. I of course get 4th place. the Chip counts were like 4k 3.8k 1.2 and I had like 4. I dont play a hand forever. totally not getting any cards. everytime I even thought about stealing, that guy with 1.2 would shove first. he was on my right and the chip leader on my left.

Of course I finish 4th after I do call with AK he has QJ and wins. then next hand he moves in again I have like 2k he has like 3.5...I get 88 he AQ and hits it.

So I went from going to have atleast 128$ or maybe even 310. to 0. I havent got to play for real money in so long and I had this elaborate strategy I was going to use, I was going to do proper Bankroll managment and everything. All for not.

Ok feel sorry for me lol JK. Do guys take it this hard?
Old 08-09-2007, 04:18 AM

Default Re: Sickening.

QQ more. Wrong forum.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had this elaborate strategy I was going to use

[/ QUOTE ]

Share plz [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Sorry though. Short term variance is never, ever fair.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:28 AM

Thanks, I know it sucks bad. I know that on pokerstars you can use them for smaller stakes. Id have gladly taken 75$ in tourny dollars. and played micro sit and gos.

my strategy, just to play within my limits. I did pretty well in june on stars, but then I didnt use any bankroll managment. I have only been playing since the first of the year. I had almost 4k in cashes, then I went bust. Then I lost my job about 3 weeks ago. And in that 3 week period Ive had alot of time to talk and read about the game more and I know now my errors. Ive been playing those freerolls which are maddening.

I basically dream about poker every night. And its like either its a sign that I need to be taught a lesson and struggle and have it really hard. Or its a sign that I dont need to play at all.

Ive read imfo on this board alot in the last few weeks, good stuff. I dont want to bore anyone, im just at a point in my life where alot of bad things have happened around me, my parents who have been married 29 years almost divorced, I had relationship problems with a guy myself. So basically I just sit at home now all day and do nothing, I start drawing unemployment soon. But im determined this is what I want to do im going to learn this game no matter what it takes.

Ok ramble over.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:42 AM

Playing within one's means is the toughest aspect of poker to master. Luckily I took up the game late enough in life not to be seduced and stupified too much by the immediate gratification. I also learned variance playing six months at the play money tables before I ever wagered one thin dime on here--I made about $15 million in fake funds lol. As a result I've been fortunate enough to steadily build a roll and never redeposit. I may never be a star in the poker world but I will never go broke either. I figure if I stick around long enough and continue killing the FR cash games I'm bound to hit a big score in the 3r's I play, and that's when it gets interesting. I've done pretty mediocre in tourneys but somehow I still manage to increase my roll every week.

Any decent player is going to profit as long as he or she maintains a clear perspective.

If you are interested I founded the Meta-Game Strategies Group for a small number of players to help one another improve our game.. despite our limited resources.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:44 AM

i feel sorry for the bad things happened in your life and i don't think i can give you much advice to handle this.

i'd just like to point one thing out to you: you never can be good at poker if loosing matters to you. you never should spend any money on the game that you can't easily effort, otherwise you can't make any good decisions. and the variance in the beginning where you have to play the low buy-in games is enormous.

best wishes
Old 08-09-2007, 06:39 AM

Ally,

seems like you have a rather unhealthy relationship with poker. I would take a long, hard look at myself before devoting my time to poker. This goes double since this is very likely to draw resources you could otherwise have spent otherwise improving your life. Devoting yourself to poker when you basically have had no success at all seems like a really bad idea.

Good luck, I hope things turn around for you.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, I know it sucks bad. I know that on pokerstars you can use them for smaller stakes. Id have gladly taken 75$ in tourny dollars. and played micro sit and gos.

my strategy, just to play within my limits. I did pretty well in june on stars, but then I didnt use any bankroll managment. I have only been playing since the first of the year. I had almost 4k in cashes, then I went bust. Then I lost my job about 3 weeks ago. And in that 3 week period Ive had alot of time to talk and read about the game more and I know now my errors. Ive been playing those freerolls which are maddening.

I basically dream about poker every night. And its like either its a sign that I need to be taught a lesson and struggle and have it really hard. Or its a sign that I dont need to play at all.

Ive read imfo on this board alot in the last few weeks, good stuff. I dont want to bore anyone, im just at a point in my life where alot of bad things have happened around me, my parents who have been married 29 years almost divorced, I had relationship problems with a guy myself. So basically I just sit at home now all day and do nothing, I start drawing unemployment soon. But im determined this is what I want to do im going to learn this game no matter what it takes.

Ok ramble over.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have tons of time so sorry if this sounds blunt.

Don't play poker if you can't afford to lose. Assume you will lose and that's how much money you need.

Freerolls teach you almost nothing. Everyone is a donkey.

You're dreaming about poker because you're playing too muhc of it. Stop for two days.

Got to get back on the horse and get a job. If you're at a turning point... get a job/career and devote your energy to that.

Ef the relationship problem stuff... just go out and get laid. Stand on a bar stool and tell them you'll do the 1st guy that shows up.