View Poll Results: OP's Buddy is a
Wimp 37 36.27%
Moran 40 39.22%
Jerk 25 24.51%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2007, 02:53 AM

Default Re: Official NBA Season Thread

tuq,

Haha, it wasn't the team that didn't even make the page on the Sagarin page you posted--quality win.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
tuq,

Haha, it wasn't the team that didn't even make the page on the Sagarin page you posted--quality win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. Maybe you now you guys can focus on breaking your losing streak to the Hawks later this year.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:13 AM

Enough with the trash talking gentlemen, don't make us C's fans come in and lay down the law (BTW IN CASE YOU DID NOT HEAR WE ARE UNDEAFEATED)

ps. ON PASE TO BEAT DA BULLS
Old 11-16-2007, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Enough with the trash talking gentlemen, don't make us C's fans come in and lay down the law (BTW IN CASE YOU DID NOT HEAR WE ARE UNDEAFEATED)

ps. ON PASE TO BEAT DA BULLS

[/ QUOTE ]

In the future, please consider a kindly reminder to the gentle fans of "16 rings".
Old 11-16-2007, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Indeed. Maybe you now you guys can focus on breaking your losing streak to the Hawks later this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, sick burn.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that, coupled with the GS ousting last year, has really damaged the Mavs psyche. I think for the Mavs to have a legitimate chance at the title within the next few years, they will need to let up in the regular season and finish with the second or third best record.

[/ QUOTE ]

I kind of agree w/ this--I do think you have a point about being the 1 seed and winning a crazy amount of games. Last year Dallas had a crazy amount of pressure on them from their flame-out in the finals and then a goofy reg season record which doesn't matter but the media wants something to hype--it was either win and you were supposed to win or lose and you are the biggest chokers ever to play--somewhat lose lose. I don't think their psyche is crushed or anything though.

I think flying under the radar like SA did last year would serve them pretty well, no matter what they have done a great job filling their holes from last year, which was beefing up their 2/3 positions as well as deepening the bench. GS's guards were too big and strong for Dallas last year, that was the big diff...also, Dallas basically had Stack off the bench last year and nobody else...now they have a slew of players including a possible 6th man of the year.

Also, lol @ Hollinger's Power Rankings--I still find it odd that everyone sucks this guy off, he is clearly on drugs.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Soulkiller diss mang. However a streak is >1, and one is the number of games in a row in which the Suns have lost to the Hawks.

Also, all of your upcoming lottery picks are belong to us. At least until we trade it away for a grilled cheese sandwich and six-pack of PBR as we did with Luol Deng a few years ago.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
tuq,

[/ QUOTE ]
While I appreciate your laudable attempt to troll me, the post was partly made so Clarkmeister would see it, and partly because even my dumb no-knowing Eastern Conference ass asked before the season what all the hype was about Chicago (unfortunately I don't keep a link to my predictions on my desktop like bobo does so you'll just have to take my word for it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]). Who knows, they could still rally to 55-60 wins and a title, but they are a mess and unlike Dallas last year they don't seem to have the personnel nor leadership to make that kind of a run. The Kobe thing may be distracting too, dunno.

That said, the win against such a crappy team actually did drop them out of the top ten. So your comment was supposed to be hurtful but it was also fair. I know they take a couple of months to settle out but I do like the Sagarin rankings:

Old 11-16-2007, 12:56 PM

tuq,

It wasn't supposed to be hurtful, it was just a joke.

We shouldn't put too much stock into SOS yet, we don't know what each of these teams are actually going to be yet so these SOS numbers are going to be skewed imo. Just like during the second week of the NFL when PokerFink was trying to tell me that the Cowboys had a much tougher schedule ahead than Green Bay and I told him there was no way to know that--it turns out that Green Bay has it tougher and Dallas' schedule isn't that bad.

Hollinger puts LA ahead of teams like Hou, Dal, Det, Pho, Orl, and Uta which is just nuts--every team I mentioned has a better record and a much higher point diff but LA has this inflated SOS...but they are a 4-3 team and they will be a just over .500 team every month unless something drastic happens.

Point is, beating Chi drops Pho is some math related polls but it could all even out when Chi has a nice Dec or tears it up in Jan. Hollinger and Sagarin don't mean a whole lot early on.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:05 PM

tdarko,

I was only pretending to be upset.

The rankings are rubbish as of right now, but I do enjoy the variance. The SOS is skewing everything so badly - I really doubt people would agree that Portland and the Lakers are playing better than Phoenix, although the Suns haven't looked great. Part of the interesting thing is seeing teams in the top ten that won't be sniffing it in a month.

As for Barbosa, I see similarities between him and Jason Terry as far as forcing them into a PG role that probably doesn't fit. Barbosa is really good at two things: 1) blowing by defenders - basically everyone except maybe Devin Harris - and 2) hitting three pointers.

So he can blow by the defenders but he doesn't have great court vision and tends to make a ton of mistakes, generally as a consequence of playing out of control. Those things do not a great point guard make. Now Nash : backup PG :: Michael Jordan : Pete Myers, but there's better solutions than Barbosa, most specifically Diaw but also maybe Grant Hill. No reason Boris or Hill can't run the offense when Nash is out. There are inspired stretches of play when Nash isn't in, but all too often they look out of sorts and I find myself looking at the clock and saying "all right, there's 8 minutes left in the period, that's plenty of rest". This is no doubt a huge area of concern for the coaching staff, should Nash get injured or head-butted again at some point in the regular season or playoffs. Because while Nash is the straw that stirs the drink, there is still plenty of talent around him and in his absence they shouldn't look like a pickup game at the Special Olympics.