Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 08:04 AM

Default Is slow playing AA really so common in NL???

I'm making the transition from a $5/10 Limit player then to NL SNGs and now working into micro NL Cash games.

In my first serious 600 hands I have run into SO many people slow playing AA. Is there something I'm miss here? I've beaten them a few times and have been crushed more then once.

In Limit slow playing was a no no. Have the rules changed of am I just running into micro players playing tricky.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:09 AM

Default Re: Is slow playing AA really so common in NL???

You're most likely running into micro players playing stupid.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:18 AM

OK - thanks - I thought I was finding some hidden thing in NL that was different then Limit - I have to admit the slow players are KILLING me but then again I have really been paid off.

Then I play them hard and get spanked.

I was in the BB with AA with SIX limpers. OK - I have to try to get 1 on 1 so I make a 7BB bet and all fold.

30 hands later - same thing - AA in the BB and five limpers.

I make a 5BB bet and get heads - up.

Flop is 47T rainbow. MP1 bets and I push all in. he follows with AT and hits his third ten. CRAP!!

Should I have just pushed pre-flop??? to take the 5 limps?
Old 11-12-2007, 08:22 AM

that is what u want right? if he has 2 outs to improve and the money goes in there is nothing u can do, thats poker
Old 11-12-2007, 08:28 AM

I've heard there is less variance in NL but man - I'm on a roller coaster!! OF course - it's Bodog so need I say more! 60% flops you are bound to have a greater fluctuation.

Oddly I play better at Absolute where the flop % is more like 35% - I actually have a clue what people are playing LOL
Old 11-12-2007, 08:37 AM

You might be overvaluing your TPGK hands. They are the nuts in limit and close to the nuts in raised pots and later in SNGs, but need to be played more cautiously with 100BBs.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:41 AM

That is SO true - I have this problem of not believing people when I FINALLY hit TPTK and Mr. LAG comes at me.

That and freaking sets are killing me. Still - I ended up even after 500 hands this weekend so I can not complain TOO much! Just disappointing when I look at the swings of coulda-shoulda.

It's like people don't respect 4BB raises!
Old 11-12-2007, 09:21 AM

Webster, what NL stakes are you playing at?
Old 11-12-2007, 10:53 AM

Ultra-micro NL10. I figure I would "pay my dues" at that level but it seems to almost be play money!

I've played a decadillion hands (maybe a little less :-) hands of limit, read NL books, played many hands of Poker Acadamy (is that a good learning tool) and know the basics of bet size and so forth.

Just have not put in the number of hands to "pay the dues" as they say. Real time experience in NL is less then a few thousands hands.

So Bodog NL10 with it's 50% flops and NL10 at Absolute with 30% flops.

Only other place I have $$ is Full Tilt but they do not go low enough! I have not put money in an account for 6 years (always going out) but The Bill screwed my limit games and I'm short stacked when it comes to the accounts ($140s).

I cashed most $$ out to build a house!
Old 11-12-2007, 11:41 AM

If you've got the bankroll, start at 25nl. 10nl is unlikely to actually teach you much. I'm guessing you have it, coming from 3/6 limit myself.

The swings are, well, different at nl than limit. Not as severe, but kinda chunkier, if that makes any sense. Limit, when you run bad, you start to question whether you know anything at all. In nl, you can usually tell whether you got it in right or not -- like that AT vs AA hand. You just shrug that off and keep going.

Limit losses are like a death by a thousand cuts. NL, like someone came at you with a club.
Closed Thread