Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 01:07 PM

Default Re: First Book To Read

The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need by Andrew Tobias is an excellent first book. It provides a broad overview of how to make intelligent decisions with regard to personal finance, including investing.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:35 PM

I read Peter Lynch's "One up on Wall Street" and found it to be a good starter book. Good stories..
Old 08-01-2007, 04:30 PM

Rich Dad Poor Dad: From what I could find through a link from this site some experts don’t think the book is good.

The Intelligent Investor: I’ll definitely read it once I have read a few other investing books.

A Random Walk Down Wall Street: Seems like the kind of book I was hoping for, something that is education and able to as another poster put it “better spark my interest.”

Investing For Dummies: I’m not a big fan of the For Dummies series. It could be because the first For Dummies book I got was the Poker For Dummies book and I have found poker books a ton better than that book.

Everyone’s Money Book: One problem with this book is that it’s over 900 pages. For my first book I’d like to read something that’s shorter.

The Motley Fool Investment Guide: This book seems to be focused on only stocks. I plan on studying stock related investing more than anything other types but I’d like some knowledge on other types of investments.

The Only Investment Guide You’ll Ever Need: From what I read it sounds like a good first book to read but it seems to be lacking something that will better spark my interest.

One up on Wall Street: This book is shorter than what I am looking for. Also I’m not sure if it deals with anything other than stocks.

For my first book I think I’m going to go with A Random Walk Down Wall Street.
I plan on reading all these books except for Rich Dad Poor Dad and Investing For Dummies. If I’m misunderstanding something about the books above please tell me.

I was pretty lost on what to start with so tyvm for all the recommendations.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I read Peter Lynch's "One up on Wall Street" and found it to be a good starter book. Good stories..

[/ QUOTE ]
His book "beating the street" is also good, but dont know how helpful they would be for a new investor.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:08 PM

Also - rich dad poor dad is more of a book on how to think differently. It's cheesy, full of upselling, and whatnot, but I still think it's a must read book. It's a great place to start anyway.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:12 PM

Investments - Bodie Kane Marcus
Old 08-02-2007, 04:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Investments - Bodie Kane Marcus

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally a decent book is being mentioned.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:27 AM

I apologize that these questions are kind of vague but I don't know enough about investing to ask a more specific question.

How far will these books get me? (Maybe an expected ROI)

What kind of information will I have left to learn and how should that knowledge affect my expected ROI?
Old 08-05-2007, 01:41 AM

Intelligent investor by graham is the gold standard.

then, random walk down wallstreet, Fama and French studies, "the new finance" and fooled by randomness.

to be honest though, the single best thing to do is get subscriptions to WSJ and Barrons.