Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2007, 02:06 PM

Default Buying a new Honda, extended warranty or no?

So I purchases a 2007 Honda Civic LX and I am picking it up on Thursday. I have until then to decide if I want to buy the extended warranty and/or the rustproofing/scotchguarding package.

I have never leased or purchesed a Honda before.

I have always leased and never bought a car before, so these options were never a concern for me.

With hondas reputation do I really need an extended warranty plan?

I plan on keeping this car for probably about 7-10 years and I will probably only put about 10-15K a year on the car
( or 6k-9K miles)

I can purcases the extended warranty when my original warranty is up but then it costs more so Do I really need it?

What about the rustproofing and scotchguarding? Do cars normally start to rust with age? How long does it take before rust start in on unprotected cars?
Old 09-30-2007, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Buying a new Honda, extended warranty or no?

I passed on it. I was also paying a pretty high interest rate so it didn't make sense to me. If you're financing your car its important to remember that you're financing everything. So if the extended warranty is $2000 it actually costs more than that.

I always look at it as they sell the extended warranty because they know the average car will cost less in maintenance during that time then what they sell the warranty for. I've always been willing to take my chances on the stuff I buy.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:23 PM

I bought a new 2007 civic lx like a year ago. I didnt get the extended warranty or anything else. The Honda finance guy really kept pushing for this stuff and it was a huge turnoff. Especially since he had tried to sell us an alarm system, telling us that the 2007 civic lx "definitly" didnt have an alarm system. HUH. THATS FUNNY. SAYS ON THE SHEET IN THE WINDOW THAT IT DOES. wrt the rustguarding, i have been told that it would be really effective for old cars, but do almost nothing to help modern cars. Since the clearcoats and stuff usually dont allow as much rust.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:25 PM

Interesting, the Honda Finance guy I had was a huge dick too. If I hadn't really wanted my car I would have canceled the deal right there and gone to a different Honda dealership.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:28 PM

hondas are money as far as reliability goes. i had a 2000 acura integra that i drove for 140k miles. i only tuned it up a few times and would get an oil change like every 10k miles and NEVER had anything major breakdown. it would still be going strong if it didn't get stolen a 2nd time.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:00 PM

i have a 2007 Civic Si with no warranty.

its amazing how quick you can get through financing without them trying t rip you off. I knew the dealer pretty well and asked him to tell the finance lady not to even try to rip me off and I was in and out in less than 15 minutes
Old 09-30-2007, 03:40 PM

Usually the money you save on the warranty is enough to fix anything that actually does break. This is assuming you don't buy a lemon.
A new civic likely won't have anything covered in a warranty break for 10+ yrs. I had an accord which I drove from 100k-200k with inconsistent oil changes. Only part I ever replaced was the alternator for like 200 bucks. Driving an Acura RSX and haven't had any problems.

Just say no to everything.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:23 PM

presumably, if there is a fault in a car (or any other device) then the fault is most likely to make itself known shortly after purchase.

while, of course, faults can develop later, this would seem to me to be fairly rare and unsual.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hondas are money as far as reliability goes. i had a 2000 acura integra that i drove for 140k miles. i only tuned it up a few times and would get an oil change like every 10k miles and NEVER had anything major breakdown. it would still be going strong if it didn't get stolen a 2nd time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like you should have bought the alarm system [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2007, 12:09 AM

I would not get the extended warranty. You have the factory warranty, plus Honda's are great cars to begin with.