Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2007, 03:42 AM

Default Bachelo party in my home town: money ettiquette

A pretty good friend of mine, who happens to live here in NYC where I live, is getting married and is hosting a bachelor party here in NYC for his main friends. The plan is to go to the Old Homestead (top notch NYC steakhouse), and then hit some titty joints after that. A couple of the guys invited are coming out of town, and are booking a hotel room. I live in the city and therefore don't need a hotel. The bachelor party is to start at the hotel around 4pm: watch some college football, drink, do a little blow, and then take it from there. The hotel room, again, is for the guys who live out of town.

The question: being that I'm from new york, and have nothing to do with this room in terms of need, am I on the hook to chip in? Rest assured I'll be contributing more than my fair share towards activities for the rest of the evening, but I am not sure I see why I should chip in towards two out of town guys, neither of whom I have ever met, to stay in a hotel. i certainly wouldn't expect any help from people I didn't know if the roles were reversed.

Thoughts?
Old 09-30-2007, 03:44 AM

Default Re: Bachelo party in my home town: money ettiquette

Best man pays for it.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:53 AM

"Hmm waiter, this chicken dish looks excellent, but I'm not a fan of rice. I'd like it without the rice. The dish is $12.99, so the new price without rice would be what, $8? I think that's fair. Thank you."

every thread about "money etiquette" in OOT seems to compete with the last, since by definition there can be only one biggest nit alive
Old 09-30-2007, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A pretty good friend of mine, who happens to live here in NYC where I live, is getting married and is hosting a bachelor party here in NYC for his main friends. The plan is to go to the Old Homestead (top notch NYC steakhouse), and then hit some titty joints after that. A couple of the guys invited are coming out of town, and are booking a hotel room. I live in the city and therefore don't need a hotel. The bachelor party is to start at the hotel around 4pm: watch some college football, drink, do a little blow, and then take it from there. The hotel room, again, is for the guys who live out of town.

The question: being that I'm from new york, and have nothing to do with this room in terms of need, am I on the hook to chip in? Rest assured I'll be contributing more than my fair share towards activities for the rest of the evening, but I am not sure I see why I should chip in towards two out of town guys, neither of whom I have ever met, to stay in a hotel. i certainly wouldn't expect any help from people I didn't know if the roles were reversed.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are not on the hook for anything...perhaps buy them a lap dance and a shot, you will feel better.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:41 AM

OP: Why are you expecting to be asked to chip in for someone else's hotel room? Seems like a weird anticipation.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Hmm waiter, this chicken dish looks excellent, but I'm not a fan of rice. I'd like it without the rice. The dish is $12.99, so the new price without rice would be what, $8? I think that's fair. Thank you."

[/ QUOTE ]
$4.99 for rice? holy cow!
Old 09-30-2007, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OP: Why are you expecting to be asked to chip in for someone else's hotel room? Seems like a weird anticipation.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're getting a suite, so that the whole group can hang out there more easily prior to going out. Otherwise they would have gotten a cheaper room. This is why I actually feel somewhat obligated to help out. It's really not a big deal- the whole night will be expensive, so another $100 or so for the room doesn't matter.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:40 AM

Just take preemptive action. When you get there, find out who is paying for the room, and hand him $50 saying "Since you got the bigger room so we could all hang, figured I'd pitch in, is $50 good?" Im guessing it will be.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:49 AM

I tell you what, since you won't be using the room you can just hang out on the sidewalk while they watch the football, drink, do blow, get hookers etc. If the whole party ends up being in the hotel then I suppose you're outta luck, but hey, you won't have ended up having to pay for something you didn't need or use, right?
Old 09-30-2007, 11:04 AM

OP, it'll be easier for you to pick up booze than anybody who's traveling. Stock room with several cases of beer and a couple of bottles.