Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 12:35 PM

Default Recurring dreams

What recurring dreams do you have? What significance, if any, do you attach to the substance of the dreams or the fact that they recur?

I'll give two examples.

When I was a kid, I used to dream that I was walking alone in an open field, surrounded by trees. I would hear the wind wooshing around me and through the trees. Then, all of a sudden, I would be pinned underneath some sort of heavy object (a rock?). The rock wouldn't crush me, or even feel particularly heavy, but it would immobilize me.

I usually woke up at that point. The dream was unpleasant because the wind always preceded being pinned by the heavy object, so the wind caused me a lot of anxiety in the dream. I used to have this dream whenever I slept in a confined space, like the bottom of a bunk bed. I guess it was just a little childhood claustrophobia, which led to some sort of recurring anxiety dream.

About ten years ago, I had six or eight dreams in which I was shot in the head. The dreams occurred over a span of 2-3 months. The dreams were not identical but were similar. Usually, I was running from some faceless person for some unknown reason. Often, I was running with someone else. The chase part of the dreams was very elaborate and often involved physical stunts that I cannot pull off in real life. Eventually, my pursuer would catch me me, usually after I thought I had gotten away. For example, I would turn the corner, and my pursuer would somehow be right in front of me. He then would shoot me execution style in the head from very close range. As soon as I was shot, I would assume the role of an observer and see a body on the ground (sort of like one of the agents in the Matrix). Oftentimes, the dream would continue with me as a person who had just seen a dead body on the ground (rather than being shot).

These dreams were vivid, but not particularly frightening. I had a lot going on in my personal life at the time, and the dreams again seemed linked to anxiety. As soon as my personal life settled down, the dreams stopped.

Anyone else have recurring dreams?
Old 09-25-2007, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Recurring dreams

As a kid I would have this recurring nightmare. I would be laying in bed and then suddenly superwolf comes crashing through my ceiling and lands at the foot of my bed. He is basically a biped and looks like a werewolf. He is also wearing a cape. He says "I'M SUPERWOLF AND I'M GOING TO EAT YOU".

This would wake me up and I'd jump out of bed and tear ass across the hall to my parents' bedroom. Every single time while still half asleep, I would look next to me while running and see a wolf (regular wolf, not werewolf) running beside me. This regular wolf was a "good" wolf and was protecting me from superwolf. I always wanted to stop and thank that wolf and maybe pet him a little bit but I was always too afraid of superwolf who was still standing in my bedroom.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:23 PM

It's amazing how often and how many people get the "it's the end of the semester and I have a calculus final in 15 minutes and I just realized I forgot to go to class or read my book at all" dream.

I have annoying dreams that could be real. Not real like "that monster seemed so real", but real like dreaming that my meeting the next day got move by a half hour, or that I was supposed to pick up something at the house but I can't remember what. Stuff that happens every day. Gets mixed up with my real life occasionally.

I started to read about dream interpretation once, but quit for whatever reason. I do recall that when I went to sleep wanting to dream, I either dreamed more or recalled more of my dreams. It's up to the individual to analyze their own dreams over a long period of time to discover what certain symbolism means for them. Maybe I'll get back to that someday.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:36 PM

I've had recurring dreams of war - variations, not identical, but always tinged with fear and always of me being in a dangerous situation. I'm never shooting, I'm always just trying to stay alive.

I suspect they're an anxiety dream but since I really don't have any connection with the military they're hard to understand.

I once had the classic "just stepped out of my apartment and I'm naked in front of peple dream." Upon waking up I was actually proud that in the dream, rather than panicking, I calmly turned around and walked back inside.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:37 PM

I have had this recurring nightmare every few months. I hate it because it sucks so much.

In this nightmare, several of my teeth fall out or are broken. It could be due to many things, such as

- getting hit in the mouth
- biting down on a hard object
- brushing teeth too much
- rinsing month with strong mouthwash
- they become loose and can be pulled out

Anyway, I always feel so bad after this nightmare. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2007, 02:00 PM

I frequently have the "I'm in some class and just realize that I did no work the whole year and now it's all due zomg" dream.

Another theme was in different dreams, but suddenly walking felt like I was waist deep in water or mud and had to labor every step.

I think all of these are just the brain's way of finding patterns (like it's supposed to) in random data and linking them with experiences/feelings that have already occurred.

-ZEN
Old 09-25-2007, 03:15 PM

I have two recurring dreams. One I'm sure is fairly common while the other, well...

-Being chased and running away from something, but I can't run fast at all becasue there is a very strong wind blowing against me and every time I make some forward progress, I'm pushed backwards. The setting differs, but the wind is always there.

-Getting shot. I often have dreams where I get shot. The setting and shooter differs, but the location (the place on my body where I'm shot) is always the same and it's my stomach. Occasionally, I'll also get shot in my shoulder or my chest, but always the stomach. I have never been shot in real life. In the dream, it hurts like a bitch, and I often wake up clutching my stomach.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
-Getting shot. I often have dreams where I get shot. The setting and shooter differs, but the location (the place on my body where I'm shot) is always the same and it's my stomach. Occasionally, I'll also get shot in my shoulder or my chest, but always the stomach. I have never been shot in real life. In the dream, it hurts like a bitch, and I often wake up clutching my stomach.

[/ QUOTE ]
Moi aussi. That's weird, and no I don't have any insight.

I also have a version of the calc exam dream, but it varies each time. I'll wake up and realize I've forgotten something important and have an hour to do a giant project. This is basically 80% of my dreams (that I remember).
Old 09-25-2007, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I frequently have the "I'm in some class and just realize that I did no work the whole year and now it's all due zomg" dream.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have that same kind of dream once or twice a year. Usually for me it's that I forgot I had enrolled in some class and now it's either at the end of the term or maybe we just passed the first exam when I realize I haven't been going and don't even remember where it is. And I'm 31 now, haven't been in college for years.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:34 PM

Well for the last week the dreams have basically been me going from the city kahului on the same road that i take home every day, but all different kinds of [censored] happening. First time i was actually with some babes and having fun (wtf while running) so it was nice, but last nights one was [censored] wierd. There were like sharks and whales in the harbor water fighting, which i somehow went out into with on a boat, then came back in. I kept driving on the road yet again and there were massive boats outisde the harbor holding up a [censored] massive whale, and there were all kinds of fins and cut up [censored] from the animals on the road as well as small baby seals which i couldnt get out of the way of and ended up running over like a speed bump.

Another random thing that really has been occuring a bunch lately is plane crashes, and all kinds of bad things just randomly occuring, but specifically the crashes, where they just crash out of the sky, and im challenged to GTFO of the way before they injure me.

and lastly also ive been randomly getting in fights for no reason whatsoever, and not being able to fight back, and being just pumped by many many guys, and just feeling hopeless, then waking up feeling mad and saying WTF.

Of course, id love to list some other dreams that id be very pleased to have recurr, but thats another story. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]