Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 09-20-2007, 04:20 AM

Default Re: I\'m likely just a nit

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah i would think this is fine. Like especially in situations where that where it is 100% safe, and not wasting anyone's time...why waste the cop's time. People always love to use the arguement that cops should be doing something more important with their time...well there isn't a bad place to start.

[/ QUOTE ]

In non-emergency situations, I don't think the police's time is worth more than mine. Or yours.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not willing to say "Cops are douches", but I have gotten the impression that being an officer is a low-paying, high-paperwork, no-fun job. They might have gotten more respect around 9/11, but now they're back to the image depicted in this thread. It seems like the only benefits of the job are the "fringe benefits" above. Doesn't that select for employees who DO like to abuse power?

[/ QUOTE ]

this is serious tard-speak. of all the cops i know (I know many) the percentage of d-bags is much less as the percentage of d-bags in the general population. maybe you just bring out their bad side?

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong
Old 09-20-2007, 07:00 AM

This exact thread came up in OOT a month ago. A few cops chimed in, it was basically settled that although the behavior itself doesn't really harm anyone, the attitude of entitlement (when there is no legit reason for running lights etc.) is a red flag that suggests the cop will abuse his power in other ways.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:08 AM

I can't help but wonder how often on-duty officers get in non-call accidents (meaning they are just patrolling and not in a big chase or responding to an emergency somewhere).

I saw the remnants of an accident near my residence in Tennessee once and it appeared the officer had rear-ended some driver in front of him. No idea if he had his lights on or was travelling very fast of course but both cars appeared to have some significant damage and needed to be towed away.

i also can't help but wonder if the officers who sometimes just break regular traffic rules just because they can doesn't help contribute to such accidents.

Cops are human and are going to get in routine accidents too of course. They are over-worked and under-paid and they drive around A LOT so obviously they can't be perfect all the time and I understand that. But I think that along with the fact that they are the ones who are supposed to be setting the example in the first place are exactly why they shouldn't be able to break traffic-laws such as running stop-signs, etc.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:11 AM

Here's one article from a Memphis publication about officer accidents including a somewhat interesting quote which I don't necessarily believe to be true:

[ QUOTE ]
"We do want to caution our officers that the public is watching," said Luttrell. "If officers are handling vehicles inappropriately, they'll be penalized for that."

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/...id=oid%3A31361

Here's a different story from a few days ago. I'm sure more stories like this could be found pretty easily.
Officers shouldn't be above the law...even on simple things like rolling-stops at stop-signs, etc (without a legitimate reason such as responding to a call of course):

"An on-duty Memphis police officer was involved in a fatal traffic accident Thursday afternoon.

Officials said the officer, driving an unmarked SUV, was involved in a collision with a sedan at the intersection of Central Avenue and South Barksdale Street.

During the accident, the sedan slid into a poll, killing 79-year-old Delores Hines of Memphis.

The officer suffered only minor injuries.

Investigators have not said what caused the accident."
Old 09-20-2007, 10:54 AM

I have also seen police officers do this sort of thing and although it may be annoying, you should realize that their job sucks and they should at least be allowed minor benefits such as this. This is coming from someone that does not sympathize with police because I have had some very unpleasant experiences. Another poster said this is normal for anyone to do this late at night - I know I don't wait around for the light to turn green when it's this late. Try to just forget about little annoying things like this, and it will make your life more enjoyable. I also get annoyed at small things like this, for example when I see someone throw a small piece of trash out their car window, it really pisses me off. Maybe we should try to meditate or somehting to clear our minds.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:17 AM

You're not a nit; cops that do piss the hell out of me because it's dangerous. Probability states that accidents are bound to happen.

Now, a story that might bring a smile to the nits' faces. I was getting gas at Chevron with Techron at a busy intersection when suddenly, I heard a loud noise. I turned my head and saw a police car in collusion with regular car. Long story short, the regular car was trying to pass the yellow light and the police turned on his sirens to make a left turn. GG.

I felt the cop deserve it for pulling this kind of shiet. However, I started feeling bad when I saw an old cop near retirement limping up and down the street lighting those small candles in the street so cars can avoid the accident area.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:26 AM

I got pulled over once when a cop that was tailgating me pulled me over after I semi cut off the guy next to me. He asked why I moved over and I told him that he was tailgating me and I thought he needed to get by. His response was, "If a cops lights are not on, he is no different than any other car on the road." Seems like a simple rule to abide by.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
His response was, "If a cops lights are not on, he is no different than any other car on the road." Seems like a simple rule to abide by.

[/ QUOTE ]

O rly? Then why was he tailgating?
Old 09-20-2007, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not willing to say "Cops are douches", but I have gotten the impression that being an officer is a low-paying, high-paperwork, no-fun job. They might have gotten more respect around 9/11, but now they're back to the image depicted in this thread. It seems like the only benefits of the job are the "fringe benefits" above. Doesn't that select for employees who DO like to abuse power?

[/ QUOTE ]

this is serious tard-speak. of all the cops i know (I know many) the percentage of d-bags is much less as the percentage of d-bags in the general population. maybe you just bring out their bad side?

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

what is wrong?