Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2007, 10:41 PM

Default college essay help

1st draft, anything appreciated, thanks in advance.

Describe the world you came from and how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations.

The world I came from was diverse. Family, friends, traveling, learning, growing, and now, reflecting. While contemplating this mess that was my history, I realized two parts of my life had, for some reason, had an extremely significant impact on shaping my dreams and aspirations for life. They were my experiences with Magic: The Gathering and Musical Theatre.
Games were part of my life for as long as I can remember. Board, video, strategy, chance, I’d play anything with whoever I could get to play with me. Most significantly, was Magic: The Gathering. When my family returned to Southern California after living in South Carolina for three years, I never truly connected with anyone at my new school. I wasn’t socially inept or exiled or anything, I had always had people to talk to and hang out with at school, but I never made any good friends. I found a local card shop and picked up an old game my brothers had taught me, Magic. It grabbed me instantly and wasn’t letting go. A card game, Magic combines chance with resource control, micro managing, strategy, and bluffing. Unfortunately, as with many games of chance, in Magic sometimes you make every correct decision and still lose. It’s easy to second guess yourself in situations like these, but to be successful in Magic, I learned you must be ready for any situation, think ahead multiple steps the consequences of your decisions, adapt, have patience and control, and above all; be confident in your decisions. My dream is to always go through life with the same approach. Thinking about the consequences of my actions, knowing I did what I thought was right, and gaining confidence through this, even if the out come isn’t what I had hoped.
Musical Theatre also acted as constant in my life. I did musicals every summer, and the experience was unforgettable. The performing aspect wasn’t what attracted me, I never minded being in front of people but I never found it that rewarding. However, I could never get enough of the experience. Theatre naturally attracts the outgoing type, and the people I met were the most interesting and diverse group I had ever been a part of. Meeting and watching all of these people interact showed me how people really should be treated. People in theatre always seemed to be open to each other, rejecting childish stereotypes and not passing judgments as I had been exposed to for so long in society. I believe the way you treat people is one of the most important aspects of your values or morals, and theatre first exposed me to that idea.
Though games and theatre are minor pebbles in the mountain of my life, they truly shaped my dream of how I want to live my life. Like a game of magic, evaluating decisions and committing, and like theatre taught me, always open minded, and never juding.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:16 AM

Default Re: college essay help

Opening paragraph is bland and bad. You aren't getting anyone's attention with it.

You dont need to (and shouldn't) mention that you didn't have any good friends. The reason Magic is important to you is it taught you things on life, not friends.

Try to relate theater and Magic. Theater gave you the personal side of life whereas magic gave you the managing side or whatever.

Your dream you say with magic isn't really a dream, but a philosophy on life. You never say what you want to do with your life. If you are undecided; thats perfectly fine. Just say something about it instead of dancing around it.

You have a frame work, but itll be a few more drafts before this is ready.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:21 AM

Second Draft:

The world I came from is Magic… Magic and theatre.
Games were part of my life for as long as I can remember. Board, video, strategy, chance, I’d play anything with whoever I could get to play with me. Most significantly, was Magic: The Gathering. When my family returned to Southern California after living in South Carolina for three years, I found a local card shop and picked up few packs of Magic cards, an old game my brothers had taught me. It grabbed me instantly and wasn’t letting go. A card game, Magic combines chance with resource control, micro managing, strategy, and bluffing. Unfortunately, as with many games of chance, in Magic sometimes you make every correct decision and still lose. It’s easy to second guess yourself in situations like these, but to be successful in Magic, I learned you must be ready for any situation, think ahead multiple steps the consequences of your decisions, adapt, have patience and control, and above all; be confident in your decisions. I have many dreams and aspirations for my life, and my path has many forks ahead. Magic taught me far more than just a way to play a card game, Magic shaped my dreams in a way that no matter which path I follow, I know I’ll be ready, thinking about the consequences of my actions, knowing I did what I thought was right, and gaining confidence through this, even if the out come isn’t what I had hoped.
Musical Theatre also acted as constant in my life. I did musicals every summer, and the experience was unforgettable. The performing aspect wasn’t what attracted me, I never minded being in front of people but I never found it that rewarding. However, I could never get enough of the experience. Theatre naturally attracts the outgoing type, and the people I met were the most interesting and diverse group I had ever been a part of. Meeting and watching all of these people interact showed me how people really should be treated. People in theatre always seemed to be open to each other, rejecting childish stereotypes and not passing judgments as I had been exposed to for so long in society. I believe the way you treat people is one of the most important aspects of your values or morals, and theatre first exposed me to that idea. My experience in musical theatre taught me many things about my self, and showed me how much I enjoyed simply interacting with people.
Theatre directly shaped my dream of interacting with the most people possible, no matter how they may appear; and like Magic, taught me a way to live my life. Though games and theatre are minor pebbles in the mountain of my life, they truly shaped my dream of how I want to live my life. Like a game of magic, evaluating decisions and committing, and like theatre taught me, always open minded, and never judging.

--------

It seems like I may be skimming the prompt to much, but I really like the general idea of what I'm saying. Is it to far from what the question is asking or does it not matter much in app. essays?
Old 11-27-2007, 05:34 AM

The way you write about Magic the Gathering is almost creepy. Many reviewers wouldn't read this as being a positive aspect of your life. I like the part about musicals. I'd recommend dropping the Magic and keeping the Musical part.

Also, use paragraphs more frequently. It's easier to read.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:31 AM

This is not good.

First on a technical note, you have some pretty long run-on sentences in there (a few with 5+ commas in them!). This is not good, make your sentences more concise. Also if you reread your paper, you probably can avoid misspellings like "out come" and dubious statements like "I did musicals...".

Your topics aren't terrible, but there is no structure, no meaningful conclusion, and overall this paper is pretty worthless. You are now going to have confidence and be open-minded? How does this make you different from anybody else? I don't mean to hate on your paper, but the topic mentions dreams and aspirations and all you have given me is not judging others and making decisions.

If I were you, I would throw this away and start all over again. However before you write a single word you should make a complete outline of every point you are going to make in your essay. This will help you make clear and concise sentences and paragraphs when you finally write your essay, because this is something you are struggling with.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The way you write about Magic the Gathering is almost creepy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the fact that I didn't read the essay made this particularly funny
Old 11-28-2007, 08:51 PM

Ummm, what's the point of this paper? Seriously, I just don't see what exactly this paper is about. It lacks a clear focus and proper organization of critical ideas. Your into and conclusion paragraph are bland and short.

This might be a C in a college course. I would re-write it and then take it to a campus writing center.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This might be a C in a college course. I would re-write it and then take it to a campus writing center.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is absolutely no way this paper would get a C in a college course. For this not to fail would be a miracle.

But luckily it is a draft, and there is a lot of time to rework it.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:46 AM

Third draft, dropped the magic stuff and focused more on theatre. Shortened it some but really need to shorten more of my sentences. What else? Thanks everyone.

The world I came from was in the Moonlight. The Moonlight Amphitheater.
A local semi-professional theater, the Moonlight was my sanctuary for years. Musical Theatre always acted as constant in my life. I performed in musicals every summer, and when I wasn’t performing I was volunteering - selling raffle tickets or ushering, staying involved somehow. The experience was unforgettable.
The performing aspect wasn’t what attracted me, I never minded being in front of people but I never found it that rewarding. However, I could never get enough of the atmosphere. Theatre naturally attracts the outgoing type, and the people I met were the most interesting and diverse group I had ever been a part of. Meeting and watching all of these different people interact showed me how people really should be treated. People in theatre always seemed to be open to people, rejecting childish stereotypes and not passing judgments as I had been exposed to for so long in society.
The summer entering my senior year, I was hired at Moonlight’s restaurant and concession stand. It was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I started as the cashier for the stand, and slowly started to truly enjoy what I was doing. The work itself was generally bland and unexciting, but the constant interaction with strangers and co-workers was both enjoyable and enlightening. I realized how much I enjoy simply interacting with people.
My experiences performing and working at the Moonlight directly shaped my dream. To always interact with as many people as possible. To not only accept diversity, but to seek and embrace it. To constantly surround myself with new people, and to show everyone the respect they deserve.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:06 AM

I'm going to edit right in the text, my edits will be in bold.

[ QUOTE ]
Third draft, dropped the magic stuff and focused more on theatre. Shortened it some but really need to shorten more of my sentences. What else? Thanks everyone.

The world I came from was in the Moonlight. The Moonlight Amphitheater.this sentence is really bad, needs to go
A local semi-professional theater, the Moonlight was my sanctuary for years. Musical Theatre always acted as constant in my lifeacted is a poor choice of words, and it is in the past tense, you no longer think of musical theater as an important part of your life?. I performed in musicals every summer, and <u>when I wasn’t performing I was volunteering - selling raffle tickets or ushering, staying involved somehow</u>rewrite that. The experience was unforgettable.this is a wasted sentence, we know you didn't forget because you are writing about it. Come up with a better finish to this introduction
<u>The performing aspect wasn’t what attracted me, I never minded being in front of people but I never found it that rewarding.</u>rewrite this, it seems more logical the other way. Even though I never minded being in front of people, it was the other aspects.... However, I could never get enough of the atmosphere. Theatre naturally attracts the outgoing type, and the people I met were the most interesting and diverse group I had ever been a part of. How were they interesting and diverse? give me something tangible Meeting and watching all of these different people interact showed me how people really should be treated. People in theatre always seemed to be open to people, rejecting childish stereotypes and not passing judgments as I had been exposed to for so long in society. what specifically about theater makes people open minded and accepting? this is where you need to shine
The summer entering my senior year, I was hired at Moonlight’s restaurant and concession stand. It was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I started as the cashier for the stand, and slowly started to truly enjoy what I was doing. you had mentioned earlier you loved doing stuff like this, and now you are slowly starting to enjoy it? The work itself was generally bland and unexciting, but the constant interaction with strangers and co-workers was both enjoyable and enlightening. give me an example I realized how much I enjoy simply interacting with people. examples. everybody loves interacting with fun people, why is this different
My experiences performing and working at the Moonlight directly shaped my dream. <u>To always interact with as many people as possible.</u>This underlined sentence really should just be deleted. I don't entirely agree with the premise of the conclusion, but at least it flows. It needs to be longer though To not only accept diversity, but to seek and embrace it. To constantly surround myself with new people, and to show everyone the respect they deserve.

[/ QUOTE ]