Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-19-2007, 07:05 AM

Default I\'m likely just a nit

But for some reason this bugs me. Tonight as I am driving home at 4am, I see a cop on the road stopped at a light. We likely are the only two cars on the road. There is a "No turn on red" sign at the light. He flips on his lights, makes what would otherwise be an illegal turn, and then turns the lights off.

I saw another cop do the same thing a few months ago (this guy just ran the red light, but the premise is the same: he didn't want to wait; no one was around, thus it was not dangerous in the least.)

I recently saw a cop with his lights on in pretty heavy traffic come up the left lane, thus causing cars to move to the right, albeit not easily due to the traffic. Once he reached the exit he needed (it was one that merged to another stretch of highway, but a much less crowded highway) he turned his lights off. There was no accident that he was stopping at. It appeared that he simply wanted to get by all of the traffic. (I understand that maybe he got a call telling him was not needed, but this is a rather unlikely coincidence.)

All of these things are basically harmless (although the 3rd one was potentially dangerous, as cars moving at a high speed were forced to merge in traffic. This wouldn't typically be a big deal, but many people panic when they see flashing lights, thus making a routine merge potentially more dangerous), but they demonstrate an arrogance that I guess I find annoying.

I am not anti-cop or anything like that, but for some reason this "I don't have to follow the rules" attitude bugs me. I realize that cops do not have to follow the rules in many situations, and this is ultimately to my benefit. That said, shouldn't they have to obey the rules just like everyone else when they are not actively protecting the public's interest? Is not this a minor abuse of power that may develop in not-so-minor abuses? Or am I merely a nit?