Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Anyone have a good experience meeting a pro at the WSOP?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Had great experience. Met Ivy, Dan G, Jen harman, Fossilman, Williams, Chan, Bigler, Hachem and Chris F. Got autographs from all of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can SOMEONE please, please explain what the F an autograph does for them? Do you take it home and use it to prove to people that you actually met a "famous" person? Do your friends not trust your anecdotes or something?

Or is your taste in home decorating so absurdly abismal that you use framed autographs as wallpaper?

These "celebrities" have a very finite amount of time to spend with their fans. If you're so awe-struck to begin with, I suggest you spend your limited time talking with them. You know, actually speak and hold a memorable conversation, if it's possible. And I don't care if you accomplished this along with the autograph.

The whole process is not just juvenile; it's embarrassing and pointless. If you sell the autograph on e-Bay, it's all the more demeaning to all involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people like them. Some people like other stuff I don't like/get, but my gut doesn't twist when somebody has a Bud Light and my skin doesn't bleed when an autograph gets signed, so I get by.

[/ QUOTE ]

damn, yeah, bud light, wtf.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:51 AM

I met/played with Juha Helppi (sp), Morgan Machina, and Men Ngueyn in one event. All were really cool. [censored] Morgan bought me and Men a Corona. Juha and I played a lot right around the bubble and were both trying to own the table. He and I played several pots together before I busted him in a race situation (AdKd > QQ). Cool guy even in defeat...

I played with Jesus in a seperate event. He was ok. It was early in the day and I was not in a good mood anyway. I am as big a dick at the table as anyone most of the time.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:53 AM

oh, but fyi, I didn't bother random people I don't know and wasn't playing with...
Old 07-19-2007, 01:02 AM

oh yea... played with Nam Le and talked with him during some breaks/between hands as well... good guy, good player... ended up going deep in that tournament; he was a lot tighter than I thought he would be but it could have been because i was the aggro one at the table with a bigger stack than he

also played with Vivek Rajkumar... good guy... he was on my left for a lot of one event... then we switched tables and he got moved back to my table... he asked me if I knew him on stars; I lied and said I didn't... he went bust with jack three trying to resteal from a nit
Old 07-20-2007, 09:55 AM

I dunno whether to say "Brag: I have a couple of the people mentioned in this thread on my MSN list", or "Beat: Some people have really low standards for what makes someone famous" (and I'm not referring to any of the people in the rest of this post)

Once at a PokerStars press event (WSOP Freeroll, the one Anthony Holden won near the start of Bigger Deal), Joe Hachem was talking to a few of us, talking to us about some of the circuit pros. "Oh mate, he's a [censored] degenerate", the most common phrase.

Oh, and the first time I talked to Bill Chen was about 30 minutes after the infamous stripping incident

There're some good stories in this thread
Old 07-21-2007, 01:53 AM

Here's a suggestion for anyone whoever happens to be seated next to Annie Duke on first day of a tourney. Sit down, look over at her and say "Hey darling, can you bring me a bottled water next time you come by?"
Old 07-21-2007, 01:57 AM

Not at WSOP, but leaving the Bellagio poker room late one night last year, the Grinder and his posse were standing outside. I looked at him and said "The Grinder". And he said "Hey bud". A night I'm sure to never forget as long as I live [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2007, 02:01 AM

This thread is so much funnier when you realize that:
Twisterpoker, apokermaniac, and thepokerace1 are all Maria Gomez, founder and president of the CEO Poker Tour...

Its even funnier still when you go though the post history of those accounts with their hidden agenda in mind... lol scamaments
Old 07-21-2007, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a suggestion for anyone whoever happens to be seated next to Annie Duke on first day of a tourney. Sit down, look over at her and say "Hey darling, can you bring me a bottled water next time you come by?"

[/ QUOTE ]

I unfortunately had the pleasure of sitting to her right in one event and all she did was whine about "how bad the donkeys are" all while sitting to where if I ever happened to look slightly to my left her ass crack would be staring me in the face.

For goodness sakes get some clothes that actually fit so I don't throw up all over the table...

On the other hand, I also sat with Shawn Keller, very nice guy, seems to have everything in his head in place (very rare amongst the pro ranks seemingly)
Old 07-21-2007, 02:51 PM

I played with about a dozen, but easily the best expreience was sitting to the left of Howard Lederer for about 5 hours. It was during the final round of the US Open and we had a great view of a TV and basically talked golf the whole time.

On a side note, The Mouth came up to Howard and rubbed his shoulders and said, "Sorry for the blowup yesterday, Howard." Howard just nodded his head. After Mike left I asked if that was his daily apology and Howard said, "You have no idea."

After I busted out he shook my hand and said it was a pleasure. Good guy.