Old 07-17-2007, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Running Prop Bet

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
how long do you get to train ?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol he wants to do it this saturday

[/ QUOTE ]

what does "without stopping" mean? Seems to me "run X miles in Y time" covers it. If you stop to catch your breath for 1 minute, but still make the time, does that count?

running <10 minute miles without training is very very hard. If it was 2 miles in 20 minutes maybe, but 5 miles sounds out of reach.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you exercise at all right now? How long since you ran in high school? I doubt you could just head out after 10 years and average a 9 minute mile over a 5-mile course.

[/ QUOTE ]

A little background: I ran cross-country my freshman year in high school. I was decent but nothing special. My best time was 20:xx (5k or 3.1 mile race). Fast forward 4 years later, and I am incredibly out of shape.

so he is a SR in HS, I think since he is young, it could be doable, its not like he is 27 and hasnt worked out since college or anything.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you exercise at all right now? How long since you ran in high school? I doubt you could just head out after 10 years and average a 9 minute mile over a 5-mile course.

[/ QUOTE ]

A little background: I ran cross-country my freshman year in high school. I was decent but nothing special. My best time was 20:xx (5k or 3.1 mile race). Fast forward 4 years later, and I am incredibly out of shape.

so he is a SR in HS, I think since he is young, it could be doable, its not like he is 27 and hasnt worked out since college or anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree it's probably doable if he is still in high school. I was envisioning a 27 year old office worker heading out to the track for the first time this century.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:34 AM

You're an idiot if you take this without odds. Seriously, no chance. Maybe an hour, but I'd want odds on that. And toss the no stopping rule, that's just stupid. You should be allowed to stop however much you want...stopping costs you time, he should love it if you make frequent stops.

25:1 on 45 minutes with no stopping, nothing less.

I'd still want 3:1 or better on 60 minutes with stopping.

- C -
Old 07-17-2007, 11:38 AM

I'd say the odds are against you doing this, but the fact that you're still in high school at least leaves this in the possible zone.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Incredibly out of shape" can mean a lot of different things. How overweight are you? I was a moderately crappy x-country runner like you in 9th grade, also got really out of shape with a year long poker, drinking, and inactivity binge but was never more than 15lbs overweight and still would have won this bet any day of the year.

I think you have a real chance. The no stopping rule is stupid. What if your shoelace comes untied or something? I'd get that thrown out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only ran cross-country my freshman year. I just graduated high school a month ago. I'm a little overweight. 5'6 150ish. Throughout high school i played cyo basketball during the winter and occasionally would go for a 1-2 mile jog. I've had a few stints where I started to regularly run, but they didn't last very long.

I think the no stopping part was more for when we didn't have a time limit. But now that there is a time limit, it's basically just run 5 miles in 45 mins.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was talking to my friend who used to play soccer competitively, and he said that 45 mins would have been very hard even for him back when he was playing soccer and tennis year-round.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what kind of shape you're in, so it's impossible for me to say, but this comment by your friend strikes me as strange. I am in good shape, but am not super athletic by any means... If you saw me in person, you would just say "OK, he's a normal guy, not out of shape, whatever."

And while I run regularly (10-15 miles a week, let's say 3 times a week at like 3/4/4 miles, or 4 times a week at 3/3/3/4), I'm FAR from being a "runner" or anything like that... basically, a normal guy who runs a bit to keep in shape.

And I can do 5 miles in 45 min quite easily. If push came to shove and I had a month to prepare, I'm sure I could do it in 40 min.

So I don't understand how a super-fit soccer player would have difficulty with this? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-17-2007, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what kind of shape you're in, so it's impossible for me to say, but this comment by your friend strikes me as strange. I am in good shape, but am not super athletic by any means... If you saw me in person, you would just say "OK, he's a normal guy, not out of shape, whatever."

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. His comment surprised me as well. Maybe because he never did a ton of long distance running. But there's a crapload of running during a soccer game, so I dunno. I think he would have had an easier time at this than he expects, but now he is injured.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I just graduated high school a month ago. I'm a little overweight. 5'6 150ish. Throughout high school i played cyo basketball during the winter and occasionally would go for a 1-2 mile jog. I've had a few stints where I started to regularly run, but they didn't last very long.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok so you're 18. Your 'rebound' time should be good. Have him give you two weeks to train if he wont give you odds.

I could run/walk 5 miles in probably 90 minutes without killing myself. I know I could hobble my 37 year old ass 1 mile in <10 minutes if I had to right now, but that would have to be a very big "had to" since it would totally expend everything I had.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:56 AM

you're talking a 9 minute mile for someone out of shape. you're effed.