Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2007, 06:58 PM

Default [$100-FTOPS ME SAT] AJ vs. MinRaise

Full Tilt Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t60 (9 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP1 (t2225)
<font color="#C00000">Hero (t1230)</font>
MP3 (t1551)
CO (t1620)
Button (t2132)
SB (t1905)
BB (t2665)
UTG (t3547)
<font color="#C00000">UTG+1 (t3810)</font>

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t120</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t120, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>.

Flop: (t330) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets t100</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t400</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t1530</font>, Hero calls t710 (All-In).

Final Pot: t2970

Starting Stack: 2000
~400 People left (~500 started)
first 107 get a Ticket

No reads on Villian. I have been playing really tight and the only hand I showed down was QQ against a Shortstack who held AT (Obviously I lost [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] - that's why I am so short in chips)

First Question: Do you call PF against a Min-Raiser in MP ? I am always fearing Aces but some say, that you should play most of the hands you would've limped against a min-raise.

Flop: Call to keep the pot small or just raise it up (I think my raise wasn't big enough - Should I just have pushed or raised more?
Old 08-19-2007, 11:44 AM

Default Re: [$100-FTOPS ME SAT] AJ vs. MinRaise

Is this an easy FOLD or does give this situation trouble to you as well???

I would love to hear some thoughts especially about the "Call a Min-Raise if you would've called the BB"-Idea...
I would really apreciate it!
Old 08-19-2007, 12:12 PM

I hate playing hands like AJ early on in a tournament as you are often dominated. I just don't play them at all. What type of flop were you wanting to commit you stack to with AJ? As played you have to raise on a drawy flop. I think that with 1200 chips and the BB 60, you have plenty of time to find a better situation than AJ in MP. Fold Preflop!
Old 08-19-2007, 03:01 PM

fold preflop. seriously. as played just call flop. when he 3 bombs you, i think you are so dead.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:16 PM

I'd fold this preflop - J is a trash-kicker against an UTG raise.

Flop is good for you, but you have always to be aware of an overpair, so i think your raise-size is really terrible, as it commits you more or less to the pot.

So lets look what villain could be holding:

1.) Overpair (AA-JJ) - any raise will be called and you are dead most of the time

2.) Set (JJ,TT,88) - same as 1

3.) 99 - unlikely, as it would have checked or pushed the flop, but would not bet out that weakish - would fold to a raise

4.) PP &lt;88 - unlikely to have raised PF, but would fold to raise

5.) AK, AQ - very unlikely, would have bet more preflop, but would also fold to a raise.

So most likely you are up against an overpair or a set, which will call any raise and where you have 0 FE even with a push - as nobody will set you on an overpair as you have not reraised preflop.

With a raise you can chase away AK,AQ,small PP, 99 - all of these holdings are somehow unlikely.

So on the flop you have a very hard decision - here you can see why AJ is a bad hand to call a preflop raise - even if you hit the flop you can't be sure you are in front.

I think folding the flop with TPTK is too weak, but i would just call and re-evaluate on the turn. if he fires a second barrel and you can not improve you might have to fold. if he checks the turn check behind.