Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 08:02 PM

Default 100 NL, JJ re-raised pot, playing for stacks again.

Don't have reads yet. I'm new to the FTP 100 NL game (previously played 100 NL on Stars only) so I don't really know anyone yet (it sucks).

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.50/$1 Blinds - 7 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $130.95
BB: $165.40
UTG: $76.30
UTG+1: $47.40
MP: $96.00
Hero (CO): $103.75
BTN: $98.15

Preflop: Hero is dealt J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (7 Players)
2 folds, <font color="red">MP raises to $3.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $10.50</font>, 3 folds, MP calls $7.50

Flop: ($22.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
MP checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($22.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">MP bets $21.00</font>, Hero calls $21.00

River: ($64.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">MP bets all-in for $64.50</font>, Hero calls $64.50

I decided to check the flop because I wasn't sure if I wanted to call a check-raise push on the flop. Decided to wait for the turn to make a decision.

Turn call is standard I think. No way I can fold there, and I don't want to raise either.

Should I call river? I feel my hand is underrepped because he'd expect me to bet the flop with an overpair, but I didn't.

Is he bluffing here often enough? Something like A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] would make a lot of sense.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:28 PM

Default Re: 100 NL, JJ re-raised pot, playing for stacks again.

tought spot here. i think you've got a winner unless villain is extremely good in deducing what you have and manipulating pot size.
i don't play enough at FTP to know what the players at this level at like.
hopefully you made the right move.... i'm curious to know what it was, please post result after comments. thanks
Old 06-29-2007, 09:00 PM

why didn't you bet the flop? also, i can probably find a call here-- villain probably shows up w/whiffed overs more than a smooth called big pair/set
Old 06-29-2007, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why didn't you bet the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Deception. It gets value out of smaller pairs that might've been playing for set value. I like it more often with AA/KK when there are less cards that will come and wreck your action, although I dislike it on this board because it's so likely they'll look you up on this flop.

I don't like the check behind with Jacks. I'd also fold the river as it looks like he's value towning you. I'd rather get a read that he's super aggressive whenever he smells weakness before I try and induce crazy bluffs (or before I call them).

[ QUOTE ]
Should I call river? I feel my hand is underrepped because he'd expect me to bet the flop with an overpair, but I didn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's easy to get yourself into these situations because your hand is "underrepped". It's usually better to just play your hand strong if this is going to lead you to making very loose calls (I did this for a very long time. I'd play a hand very weak and passive and then decide I had to call off a lot of chips because my opponent COULD be bluffing. This obviously resulted in me losing lots because people don't bluff as often as they value bet, IMO.)

I'd just bet flop.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's easy to get yourself into these situations because your hand is "underrepped". It's usually better to just play your hand strong if this is going to lead you to making very loose calls (I did this for a very long time. I'd play a hand very weak and passive and then decide I had to call off a lot of chips because my opponent COULD be bluffing. This obviously resulted in me losing lots because people don't bluff as often as they value bet, IMO.)

I'd just bet flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fair enough, good point.

One question though: if you bet the flop, do you call a shove?
Old 06-29-2007, 09:17 PM

No. Again, I'd need a very specific read to call this shove. Your hand looks strong and unless you've been playing like a lunatic, you're not good here very often. You're crushed by any reasonable range.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is he bluffing here often enough? Something like AK[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] would make a lot of sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

the problem with that is, AK[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] is one combo so its very tough for him to have enough bluffs in his range if he's only bluffing with suited hearts
Old 06-29-2007, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is he bluffing here often enough? Something like AK[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] would make a lot of sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

the problem with that is, AK[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] is one combo so its very tough for him to have enough bluffs in his range if he's only bluffing with suited hearts

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I know. I'm obviously not saying that's his entire bluffing range, just gave an example.

Anyway, looking back I don't really like my river call. He had 77 and luckboxed a set on the turn. I did give him a free card, so that was my mistake, but I doubt he would have folded to a flop bet given he called pre-flop. Also, his pre-flop call is pretty bad IMO.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:49 PM

When I actually feel like playing, I play those levels, PM me and I might be able to help you with some players reads.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but I doubt he would have folded to a flop bet given he called pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I said I dislike your flop bet, because a lot of PPs will call it. If you think he'd call with these hands, you need to bet the flop with them.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, his pre-flop call is pretty bad IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

He only needs $40 to go into the pot with his set. You're an aggressive player so you don't even need to always have a hand for him to get that $40 in there. It's a fine preflop call. I mean you stacked off with JJ on an incredibly dry board, so why wouldn't he play PPs for set value against you?