Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 02:42 PM

Default Re: 2 Basketball question

I played one year of JC B-ball for a team that went 4-27. This team sucked. But I guarantee you that team could not only have handled but beaten any women's team. Pro or otherwise. Our center was 6-9 and 225; our PF was 6-6 and probably 240. What female player would be able to handle that in the low post? And while our quickness on the perimeter was no match for the power houses in our region, I can't imagine any WNBA player would have been able to guard our players outside either.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:46 PM

I will concede that if you took the ten best women's players of all time in their primes (let's say Cheryl Miller, Sheryl Swoopes, Lisa Leslie, and hell I don't know Diana Taurasi and mumble mumble), then they could probably hold their own against most high school teams and some college teams. But I still don't think they'd ever ever EVER beat a Division I team, even the worst ones.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

taraz makes some good points.

Maybe not the very worst of the D1 teams.
But I've strolled by some crazily bad D3 or NAIA or whatever type games where I think the tallest player was 6'1" and nobody could freaking play at all.
I think a decently organized womens NCAA team with a good 6'6" center would have a shot and certainly a WNBA team.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still don't think you get it. There were only two guys on the practice team I played on who would have been good enough to play D3 ball or better. We routinely beat a top 5 NCAA team by a sizable margin. We would have probably had more trouble with a WNBA team though. I think a really really crappy D3 school vs. one of the better WNBA teams would be a decent game.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:47 PM

Thanks for shedding some light on something like this with your personal experience.

A team that has players who are 6-9 and 6-6 might still be a better team than what I was envisioning even if they barely won any games though.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:50 PM

Are their really D-3 teams with no one taller than 6-1? I can't imagine it's that hard to find a couple of 6-6 "projects" as walk-ons.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:55 PM

I thought so but after doing a little bit of research I think my memory was playing tricks on me.

I found a couple of small college teams that won only 4 or 5 games but their roster looked to be somewhat reasonable and just looking at the team photo I thought, "Yeah, they would likely be faster and stronger to out-muscle a WNBA team."
Old 08-03-2007, 03:17 PM

Okay, now I'm going nuts.
Because the types of colleges that are THAT bad just are kind of hard to research.

Here's what I'm doing right now because I'm pathetic and have no life and this somehow interests me:

Lake Superior State and Bemidji State are a couple of 'meh' to les than 'meh' low-level college teams.
I'm looking for teams that they clobbered.

I've gotten to Northland Baptist Bible College who lost to Lake Superior State 55-28 so I'm guessing they ain't so hot.

Their roster isn't available on the website.

Now I'm trying to find team that Northwoods beat in-between some of their blowout losses and I end up seeing that they beat the Emmaus Bible College Eagles of Dubuque, IA. 103-51 was the final in that one.

I get some scores and roster off the Emmaus Bible College website.
Interested in playing? Send them your name.

They lost every single game they played except for their pre-season exhibition against their alumni.

They did lose one overtime game to Crossroads College and a 1 point margin to Great Lakes Christian College otherwise it looks like all their losses were by double-digits and usually WELL into that...and consider that many of their opponents were probably being nice and taking it easy on them at a certain point.

I'm guessing the teams who only barely beat them are pretty lousy too.

Onto the roster:
They have one guy who is 6-5 and a couple others who are 6-2. The rest of the team is in the 5-8 to 6-0 range.

I've seen mid-major college teams who can match up with them just fine size-wise (just size, not getting into speed or strength) so I assume a major D1 program MIGHT be able to compete and certainly a WNBA team imo.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:20 PM

Also, if someone has the name of that team that lost 150-20 or whatever last year when the other team knocked down a zillion 3's that might be a team to look at (and especially any teams that that team happened to beat).
Old 08-03-2007, 03:22 PM

After reading that post Micro Bob, I have figured out why there are so many problems with guns, drugs, and fights in the NBA. Apparently Christians aren't good at basketball.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:26 PM

MicroBob,

I don't think size is going to be an overriding issue when you're talking about a crappy D3 team vs. an D1 Women's team. You really have to understand how slow these girls are and how little they can jump. Their skills are great, but that doesn't mean much when you're getting outscored 30-0 on fastbreak points.