Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 11:39 AM

Default I\'m beat here, right? (Stud Hi)

Is it right to call it down hoping to fill up?
Or do you fold 2Pair in this spot?
I have no read at all.
Comments on all streets welcome.
Thank you.

7 Card Stud High ($1/$2), Ante $0.10, Bring-In $0.50 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 6: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 7: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises

4th Street - (4.20 SB)

Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (5.10 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls $1.50 and is all-in
Seat 6: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls

6th Street - (10.85 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___all-in
Seat 6: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

River - (12.85 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___all-in
Seat 6: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

Total pot: (14.85 BB)
Old 09-21-2007, 01:18 PM

Default Re: I\'m beat here, right? (Stud Hi)

I can't find a fold before 6th street. On sixth it certainly looks like he's got the boat, but the pot's big enough that you could call both 6th and 7th streets.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:46 PM

You have to call, and particularly because you had no read. And, it's a two-fold decision on 6th and 7th, imo. You call 6th, you call the end, too.

Also, your Aces are hidden, and because of that, he may very well be raising you with hands that are lower than yours (ie; K's up, Q's up, pair+ a draw etc.).

I would pay it off and win or lose, it would give you information for future hands with him.

As an aside, it looks as if you bet the minimum on 4th with your open pair opposed to making it a full bet, is that correct? If you did make it a full bet then disregard this, but if you didn't, then I think that was an error. You didn't hit trips on the turn (so your hand obviously isn't as strong) and, pairing your doorcard 3 isn't anywhere NEAR as scary if you would've paired a much higher doorcard such as an Ace or a King because those open pairs tend to kill the action immediately when your opponents are holding smaller pairs. In your spot, they don't know if you made two pair or if you just raised coming in with a flush draw or something similar. There's no way that they put you on trips because most players aren't going to raise 3rd with a small split pair. In other words, bet the max on 4th.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:51 PM

I made a full bet on fourth.
It might have been better to go for a check-raise to get
the pot heads-up. I don't know....
Old 09-21-2007, 02:06 PM

A checkraise on 4th? Nah. You have no guarantee that someone's going to bet, and because you were the initial raiser AND you paired your doorcard, there's a greater chance that they'll fear you checking it and will then likely check also.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:23 PM

I can not find the fold button in this hand. Villian probably has jt under, as split kings will be less aggressive when it is clear you have two pair on 4th. Buried queens are possible for villian and would fit with villian's play. But once you get to river you probably see worse two pair at least 10% of time making call justified.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:59 PM

I fold this on sixth. His range on fifth is basically a straight, KK99, QQ99, or trips. When he pairs the nine that becomes a straight or a boat. You have two good outs and one tainted one, and 11:1 just isn't enough. You might very occasionally win unimproved against something like A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], which makes just enough difference that you have to call the river, screwing over your implied odds.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:38 AM

He had JT in the hole and made a straight.
Thank you so far.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:39 AM

Maybe you fold sixth. Certainly, you do if the other guy is a decent player. I'm not inclined to fold against an unknown $1/2 player, though.