Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 08:55 PM

Default Re: Career Mess-Ups

I think what people are saying is that that strategy is loony. And after being critical of the war pretty frequently up to this point, his flip flopping over seems like an exceptionally cynical and transparent move. Thinking the timing was right was loony. I could see a teflon guy like Reagan getting away with it, or even first-term GW Bush, but McCain outgrew his teflon a good while back.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:04 PM

I'm surprised to see that Hugh Grant escaped his fiasco without a real scratch to his career.. is coming clean and apologizing on network TV a good strategy for the public to like you again? Or are English people just so charming that it doesn't matter? BTW he's nuts, he had Liz Hurley for [censored] sake..
Old 07-16-2007, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think what people are saying is that that strategy is loony. And after being critical of the war pretty frequently up to this point, his flip flopping over seems like an exceptionally cynical and transparent move. Thinking the timing was right was loony.

[/ QUOTE ]

Granted, the timing thing is a little curious. But he must have his reasons. The man is not a nincompoop. It's some creative strategy thing that we can't quite figure out.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ever know anyone who messed up their career?

[/ QUOTE ]
A guy a know was a partner at a law firm. Very successful guy. Built up a practice from 3 lawyers up to 30. Never knew anyone who could bring in business like that guy did.

He started appearing at the office less and less. Then, the firm announced he was going to out of the office on an extended client visit (of 4 months or so). Later it came out that he was actually in rehab for coke addiction. He tried to come back to work, but wasn't able to do so.

Lost his job, his wife, his house, everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, this sounds a lot like someone I know...successful lawyer who was a partner in a small firm. I don't know what he was doing but he started messing up really bad. He was having an affair and doing drugs, spending money like there was no tomorrow. Lost his house and kids in the divorce which dragged on for years. Talk about a financial mess. He claimed he was having a nervous breakdown or something. His partners eventually sued him and shut him out of his own practice. Poor guy.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think what people are saying is that that strategy is loony. And after being critical of the war pretty frequently up to this point, his flip flopping over seems like an exceptionally cynical and transparent move. Thinking the timing was right was loony.

[/ QUOTE ]

Granted, the timing thing is a little curious. But he must have his reasons. The man is not a nincompoop. It's some creative strategy thing that we can't quite figure out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we have figured it out. Occam's razor. The only wild card might be if the party higher-ups have promised him further funding or endorsement when GWB is out. Otherwise his motivations seem straightforward and I don't see a reason to assume there's genius lurking within them.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:21 AM

ingrid bergman left her husband and daughter to go do a movie in italy and didn't come back.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:24 AM

That's really terrible. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Was she part of the Hollywood studios? Did she stop making movies after that?
Old 07-17-2007, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That's really terrible. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Was she part of the Hollywood studios? Did she stop making movies after that?

[/ QUOTE ]

This was a huge scandal back in the day. Well, maybe not going to Italy itself, but what happened afterward...

[ QUOTE ]
On Mar. 14, 1950, Sen. Edwin C. Johnson of Colorado took to the floor of the U.S. Senate and delivered an extraordinary and impassioned harangue. Extraordinary, for in this instance the good senator wasn't rallying against the red peril or his political rivals, but against a movie actress. The actress was Ingrid Bergman, and during Johnson's blistering tirade she was labeled a "free-love cultist" and a "powerful influence for evil."

The unusual episode was typical of heated public reaction in 1950. For Ingrid Bergman, Hollywood's favorite embodiment of saintliness and virtue, had given birth on Feb. 2 to Renato Roberto Gisuto Giuseppe Rossellini. Little "Robertino" had been conceived, not in sunny Hollywood, but in far-off Italy, and the child's illustrious father wasn't Ingrid's husband, Dr. Peter Lindstrom, but Italian film director Roberto Rossellini.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-17-2007, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He's a brave war hero and stuff, but he's loony. The Repub powers will never, ever, let him be nominated, as I've posted before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chipwrecked,

You say loony, others say calculating (or miscalculating). I prefer to not call them kooks and instead focus on strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was offering to pay Americans $50 an hour to pick lettuce in Arizona just a couple months ago. His immigration stand (and bill with Kennedy) is nuts for someone who wants the GOP nomination. I just don't see this as a well thought out strategy. It's McCain being McCain. Even his own staff just bailed on him. The Bush campaign successfully used the 'loony' card against him in 2000. They killed him in South Carolina, which he needed badly.

Once again, I respect the man. I couldn't have held out in the Hanoi Hilton the way he did. But I think he came home with a screw loose.

He's been unstable for years. He has a long history of attacking political allies, then getting back into bed with them (think Bush) when it suits his purposes. Neither the left or right trusts him, because he's burned them both many times.

The GOP doesn't trust him; that's all it takes. He will never be the GOP candidate for President.

Per Google, looks like 'Insane McCain' is fast becoming a catch phrase for this campaign....
Old 07-17-2007, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

On Mar. 14, 1950, Sen. Edwin C. Johnson of Colorado took to the floor of the U.S. Senate and delivered an extraordinary and impassioned harangue. Extraordinary, for in this instance the good senator wasn't rallying against the red peril or his political rivals, but against a movie actress. The actress was Ingrid Bergman, and during Johnson's blistering tirade she was labeled a "free-love cultist" and a "powerful influence for evil."

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha can you imagine? The Senate floor?

I looked her up on Wikipedia. Here's some interesting trivia -

- Her husband sued for desertion and custody of their 10 yr old daughter (I feel sad for her daughter actually)

- Ed Sullivan polled his TV audience to see if she should be forgiven

- In 1957 she and Roberto Rossellini divorced and she won an Academy Award for Anastasia. Cary Grant showed up to accept the award for her.

- In 1958 she made her first post-scandal appearance in Hollywood when she presented the Academy award for best picture. She received a standing ovation.

- In 1972, Sen. Charles Percy entered an apology into the congressional record for the attack made by Sen. Johnson

and here is what she looked like when she was really young

Those Swedish girls are pretty!