Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2006, 01:08 AM

Default You make the call

2/3 $100 buyin at the bike. 4 players in the pot preflop with multiple raises finally capped by 3 of them going all in. Waiting for seat 7 to decide whether or not to call when seat 6 slides her cards across the table to seat 9 - who's not in the hand - for him to look at her cards. Seat 7 objects and asks for a floorman for a ruling.

**Note: seat 6 and 7 have the larger stacks and would have a side pot. The other 2 all in's have much smaller stacks.**

Now....you make the call. Floor rule to follow.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:00 AM

Default Re: You make the call

If Seat 6 is all-in, then no harm done. But ask her not to do it again, it upsets people.

Then tell Seat 7 to hurry up, we want to play another hand after this one.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2/3 $100 buyin at the bike. 4 players in the pot preflop with multiple raises finally capped by 3 of them going all in. Waiting for seat 7 to decide whether or not to call when seat 6 slides her cards across the table to seat 9 - who's not in the hand - for him to look at her cards. Seat 7 objects and asks for a floorman for a ruling.

**Note: seat 6 and 7 have the larger stacks and would have a side pot. The other 2 all in's have much smaller stacks.**

Now....you make the call. Floor rule to follow.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I understand this correctly seat 6 is already all-in. Then she shows her cards to one player not in the hand before seat 7 (the only remaining player yet to act) has made his decision. As "youtalkfunny" stated elsewhere there is no real harm done; if anyone gains an advantage it is seat 7 (who may get a tell from seat 9). The hand plays on.

Of course the floor should have seat 6's hand automatically shown to all players (after seat 7 acts) since she did violate the "show one, show all" rule. That said, this is relatively minor infraction, compared with some of the stuff I've seen lately (not just at the Bike).

~ Rick
Old 08-25-2006, 08:38 AM

Assuming seat 9 is not in the hand, I give seat 6 a warning not to be a tard while making no attempt to hide my disgust and then allow play to continue and make sure the hand is shown to all at the end of play.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Assuming seat 9 is not in the hand, I give seat 6 a warning not to be a tard while making no attempt to hide my disgust and then allow play to continue and make sure the hand is shown to all at the end of play.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-25-2006, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Waiting for seat 7 to decide whether or not to call when seat 6 slides her cards across the table to seat 9 - who's not in the hand - for him to look at her cards. Seat 7 objects and asks for a floorman for a ruling.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you missed the note Rick. I think this question is much more interesting than it seems because seat 6 can be pulling an angle here to block action on the side pot post flop.

What's the rule if seat 7 waits for the flop and possible side pot and seat 6 is forced to show her cards, which she'll have to do?

I think the rule should still apply to prevent this type of blocking angle. Seat 6's hand is exposed and play continues.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Waiting for seat 7 to decide whether or not to call when seat 6 slides her cards across the table to seat 9 - who's not in the hand - for him to look at her cards. Seat 7 objects and asks for a floorman for a ruling.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you missed the note Rick. I think this question is much more interesting than it seems because seat 6 can be pulling an angle here to block action on the side pot post flop.

What's the rule if seat 7 waits for the flop and possible side pot and seat 6 is forced to show her cards, which she'll have to do?

I think the rule should still apply to prevent this type of blocking angle. Seat 6's hand is exposed and play continues.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? No. You would show Seat 6's hand AFTER the hand is over OR after all betting is complete whichever comes first. Seat 7 doesn't get to see Seat 6's hand while they both have chips. If Seat 9 was in the hand and still had chips, then yes.

Strong warning for seat 6, expose hand at the end, let's get on with it seat 7.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Post flop action?

I guess you missed this part:
[ QUOTE ]

4 players in the pot preflop with multiple raises finally capped by 3 of them going all in.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-25-2006, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

She is giving away information to a player not in the pot. To clarify, that information (her hand) must be made available to all players when the hand is over.

Now her act may be a real or fake "look, I have a good hand" tell, that's for the other player still in the hand with chips to decide. That part is gamesmanship, deciding if tells are present and whether they are true or false. I don't like the fact she showed another player (even though he is not in the hand), but if anything it works against her if the last remaining player is astute.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As clarified above, she wouldn't have to show until after the entire hand is over.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree. Only after the hand must seat 6's hand be exposed.

Anyway, there are lots of angle's out there. But most "acting", e.g., lying about one's hand (or maybe not), trying to throw off false tells and so on are not angles. They are all part of the fun of poker, what I call gamesmanship. An example of an angle would be pretending to fold by pushing ones cards a little forward (enough to get a read) then retrieving them to call or raise when facing a bet.

I tend to be quiet when in a hand, but I love it when my opponents talk or do this stuff. If I occasionally mistake a false tell for a real one, then I need to get better at my reads.

~ Rick
Old 08-25-2006, 01:44 PM

wow live players are nits.