Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 11:31 PM

Default Tough preflop spot with QQ

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($100)
UTG ($119.85)
MP ($198.35)
Button ($79.50)
SB ($99)

MP is 36/30/4, SB is 25/18/4. I think SB is a competent player. My thinking was he saw him opening alot so he would 3 bet him much lighter, tending me to think a 4bet/call was best here. Calling allows 3 to the flop and I hate that with the LAG having position. It is a little tight since SB has a 7 gapper between vp$ip and PFR so that means he doesnt 3 bet all too light normally. What is your play here preflop?

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $3.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $13.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (in the BB) ?
Old 07-19-2007, 11:34 PM

Default Re: Tough preflop spot with QQ

do you fourbet with AK? does either villain auto put you on QQ+ if you 4bet?
Old 07-19-2007, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do you fourbet with AK? does either villain auto put you on QQ+ if you 4bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

villain one that is 36/30 seems not too smart, other villain seems smart, i would think that SB would put me on AK+, calling definitely disguises my hand but I could take some preflop equity and if i call i allow 3 to the flop
Old 07-19-2007, 11:36 PM

I would raise/shove normally. The problem with calling is that if they are any good, and respect you, then they will see it as a sign of extreme strength, whereas shoving might have the opposite effect if they think you are re-stealing.

Anyway my main reason is that if they are halfway decent they will see that calling/raising both clearly define your hand, and if you hand is defined it might as well be in a pot big enough that they can't take adv.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:38 PM

this is a really image dep/villain dep spot... given read I think you have to 4bet
Old 07-19-2007, 11:38 PM

yea, i liek ur points roger, i dont think they will ever put me on a 4-bet steal here, most players at 100nl never make a play like that nor are lots capable of trying to pick one off
Old 07-19-2007, 11:39 PM

Cold calling isn't a good play unless villain is totally oblivious or you have a bad image. They should both be able to put you on a good hand.

I would also 4 bet in this spot against a guy I thought was isolating a weak player with a much wider range, therefore you should also do it with your good hands occasionally.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:42 PM

if i 4 bet and he is stealing i lose out on his weaker range. I am risking my stack for about 15BB preflop, do we think thats worth it if he is only calling my raise with AK+
Old 07-19-2007, 11:48 PM

what about calling, then letting their postflop aggression factors determine some stuff, since both are high

SB will lead any flop, we can call if lower cards and see what MP, if he pushes and SB calls we could fold but prolly priced in, if MP pushes and SB folds we def call, i might like reraising the flop all in.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if i 4 bet and he is stealing i lose out on his weaker range. I am risking my stack for about 15BB preflop, do we think thats worth it if he is only calling my raise with AK+

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends somewhat on your 4 betting range and how observant he is... sometimes you can get away with cold calling this, but the cc of a reraise is usually a really big hand unless the player is bad. If he is any good, he's going to be hesitant of putting any money in unless he has QQ+ beat on the flop.

Now, I'm not saying he is that good, but if he is isolating a LAG, the chance of that shifts more in that direction.

The good thing about 4 betting is that you can see how light he is 3 betting the LAG while you have a good hand. If he shoves, you can call without being in terrible shape against his range. But if he folds, you can take a note and proceed to steel 15BB from him with a bit of regularity.