Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2006, 11:38 AM

Default betting without saying raise question

As I understand it if you don't say raise you are assumed to have called and must take your chips back and put in whatever it is to call the initial BB or earlier raise.

Some one did this in a card room the other night but just threw the chips in thiking he was calling except he threw 2 of the wrong colour in amounting to 1,000 instead of 50.

Everyone agreed that it was a call but left the 1,000 in chips there. If I wanted to call] they said I would have to put in 1,000 chips.

Didn't seem correct?!
Old 11-06-2006, 11:47 AM

Default Re: betting without saying raise question

You're obviously talking about NL which I've only played live a handful of times. In limit, however, I do not verbalize my raise most of the time. I'm very quiet at the table and when I want to raise, I grab a stack of chips and cut out the raise. Never had a problem.

I've done the same thing in the small number of NL games I've played in and never had a problem. The dealer always verbalizes it for the player anyway.

Onaflag..........
Old 11-06-2006, 11:52 AM

Assuming there was no action after him, and He agreed that it was just a call there should be no problem. If you had an issue with the situation you should have called the floor man over.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:01 PM

But if he agreed it was just a call, how do you call a big blind of 50 with 1,000 chips?
If he agreed it was a call then he should have taken it back and put 50 in instead?
Or alternatively it's a call but it's only worth 50 chips, therefore I should have been able to call 50 hoping to win his 1,000 ?
Old 11-06-2006, 12:05 PM

Multiple chips > that 2x original bet = raise in NL in every card room I've ever played.....
Old 11-06-2006, 12:13 PM

You must state raise at all times otherwise it is a call.
No?
Old 11-06-2006, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As I understand it if you don't say raise you are assumed to have called and must take your chips back and put in whatever it is to call the initial BB or earlier raise.

Some one did this in a card room the other night but just threw the chips in thiking he was calling except he threw 2 of the wrong colour in amounting to 1,000 instead of 50.

Everyone agreed that it was a call but left the 1,000 in chips there. If I wanted to call] they said I would have to put in 1,000 chips.

Didn't seem correct?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Typically this is done when you don't have the right denomination. ie you just through in your chip. It counts as a call and it is down to the dealer to either get change right there from another player or wait until the end to split it up.

It was either a terrible structure or a terrible dealer who didn't make the guy put in a smaller denom chip.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You must state raise at all times otherwise it is a call. No?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmm....not in Tunica with multiple chips.

Ex: BB is $5, you toss 2 $5 chips in without saying anything, it is a raise.

If you toss in a green ($25), it is a call unless stated otherwise.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:21 PM

"should have been able to call 50 hoping to win his 1,000 ?"

Dr Gonzo, when the drugs wear off you'll join the real world again. Or are you trying to learn how to become an angle shooter?

Some degenerate gamblers who happen to play poker will do anything for a buck or 5 or 950. I know you're not serious but you will be amazed at what some players will do to get back their losses. It is our obligation as conscientious humans and "professionals" to maintain honesty and prevent dishonor at the poker tables. I have also been pleasantly surprised at how honest most players are with each other which also makes it that much harder to see the few who try to take advantage.

Anyway, yours was a confusing situation and the dealer did not explain it properly and the way you remember it still does not make sense. When you're in a situation like that simply insist that the dealer explain it to you which is part of what you pay them for.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You must state raise at all times otherwise it is a call.
No?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you're throwing out one oversized chip.

If the bet is $5 and you silently throw out two $5 chips, you raised to $10. If you throw out one $100 chip, you called. If you throw out two $100 chips you raised to $200.