Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Does the thought of Hell ever scare an atheist?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Btw, if you really did study the bible as thorougly as you contend how come you never arrived at the conclusion that arrogance could get in the way of understanding?

Arrogance often gets in the way of any study whether its a biblical or completely non-biblical one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did, but that understanding went the other way. I understand and liked that good science is humble to the effect that it accepts alternate explanations and seeks to understand if they hold true.

Science doesn't claim the ultimate answer, so there isn't the calm security that religion offered - as many things will go unanswered. But the (good) bits of science are devoid of the religious arrogance of laying absolute claim to answers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well be like Newton. Have your cake and eat it too. Don't set science up as your God. Keep them separate. God never said you couldn't have science. He lets us be the beneficiaries of science.

The problem a lot of scientists have is they stay too busy. Take Newton. Its said he couldn't rest until he'd solved a problem. He once solved a math problem in an afternoon that the rest of Europe had been wrestling with for months. Eventually he retired from from the math/science side to study prophecy more. He knew it was important. I mean this is the father of calculus putting God first. Its just sometimes we stay too busy. That's how you miss God in all the "to and fro" of the devil. The devil likes to keep us too busy to notice what's going on. I know talking about the devil is crazy, it took me years to get my mind around him.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why would you interpret this literally?

[/ QUOTE ]

I interpret it as fiction. But many Christians interpret it literally. And many Christians are gleeful at the notion of people being tortured forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a lot of Christians truly believe in Hell and hate the thought of it...which is why there's some Christians who spend their lives trying to "save" others, because they are sickened by the punishment, but believe it to be true.

I hope Hell doesn't exist. I hope we are supposed to read the parts in the Bible describing Hell allegorically and not literally. And that there will be no literal place of eternal torment. I can't even fathom how Heaven would be so perfect if one had the knowledge of others suffering in Hell.

But again...God makes the rules. If God exists and is in control, than all we can do is pray for His mercy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell is NOT a real place & you need to accept the fact that there will NOT be people spending eternity there.

Christians are not 'gleeful' about being the only ones to believe such nonsense ...why do you think we go through the effort of trying convert the rest of the world??

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 11-06-2007, 03:22 PM

Just shout "ridiculous" and it disappears.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its hard to impress God with brains since he already cornered the market on it, but he just might have made us for worship and companionship. That requires a better emotional being not an intellectual being.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is fantastic. Keep up the good work.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why would you interpret this literally?

[/ QUOTE ]

I interpret it as fiction. But many Christians interpret it literally. And many Christians are gleeful at the notion of people being tortured forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a lot of Christians truly believe in Hell and hate the thought of it...which is why there's some Christians who spend their lives trying to "save" others, because they are sickened by the punishment, but believe it to be true.

I hope Hell doesn't exist. I hope we are supposed to read the parts in the Bible describing Hell allegorically and not literally. And that there will be no literal place of eternal torment. I can't even fathom how Heaven would be so perfect if one had the knowledge of others suffering in Hell.

But again...God makes the rules. If God exists and is in control, than all we can do is pray for His mercy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell is NOT a real place & you need to accept the fact that there will NOT be people spending eternity there.

Christians are not 'gleeful' about being the only ones to believe such nonsense ...why do you think we go through the effort of trying convert the rest of the world??

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

And it is also cool to know that Brad forget to mention there are versions of Christianity that don't accept the existence of hell (as in the eternal torment thing at least).
Old 11-06-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem a lot of scientists have is they stay too busy.

[/ QUOTE ]

So scientists tend to be atheists...because they're too busy performing science?

[ QUOTE ]
The devil likes to keep us too busy to notice what's going on.

[/ QUOTE ]

And to think that we've always been told that "idle hands are the devil's playthings". Turns out we've been wrong all along. Splendour of the SMP forum has set us all straight.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:30 PM

Her trolling is tiresome.

[ QUOTE ]
The ironic thing is I never heard this worry about hell come up among Christians as much as it does with the atheists on this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm... it was brought up by a Christian.

Second... the layers of delusion. Christianity use the threat of the stick. I was raised Christian (Lutheran). And we were all taught the implicit threat of hell. I must have had a really unique upbringing to feel that it was constantly reinforced in us that people who didn't follow were going to hell.

[ QUOTE ]
Are people focusing on hell because they fear something in their own lives?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't count but I'd guess that most people in this thread pointed out that they don't focus on hell because they don't believe it. And that the concept is ridiculous.

[ QUOTE ]
Fearing hell so much that you refuse to believe in it? That prevents you from doing whats pleasing to God. It must be a trick of the devil.

[/ QUOTE ]

And then it turns comic.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:34 PM

the thought of hell never worries me. its not as though i sit around all day thinking about religion. i decided religion didn't do it for me, and now i rarely think about it at all unless asked.

to me, the weirder thing is, you really believe that you're going to exist eternally in some form that is totally unknowable to us? you're going to some eternal heaven where everything will be amazing, forever? i bet mr. francis would sell you a ticket there for a small money order. the idea of life after death in some alternate form is so bizzare and unknowable to me that entertaining the idea before i see it for myself just seems silly.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Btw, if you really did study the bible as thorougly as you contend how come you never arrived at the conclusion that arrogance could get in the way of understanding?

Arrogance often gets in the way of any study whether its a biblical or completely non-biblical one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did, but that understanding went the other way. I understand and liked that good science is humble to the effect that it accepts alternate explanations and seeks to understand if they hold true.

Science doesn't claim the ultimate answer, so there isn't the calm security that religion offered - as many things will go unanswered. But the (good) bits of science are devoid of the religious arrogance of laying absolute claim to answers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well be like Newton. Have your cake and eat it too. Don't set science up as your God. Keep them separate. God never said you couldn't have science. He lets us be the beneficiaries of science.

The problem a lot of scientists have is they stay too busy. Take Newton. Its said he couldn't rest until he'd solved a problem. He once solved a math problem in an afternoon that the rest of Europe had been wrestling with for months. Eventually he retired from from the math/science side to study prophecy more. He knew it was important. I mean this is the father of calculus putting God first. Its just sometimes we stay too busy. That's how you miss God in all the "to and fro" of the devil. The devil likes to keep us too busy to notice what's going on. I know talking about the devil is crazy, it took me years to get my mind around him.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the original scriptures that ultimately lead to modern day Christianity the devil is simply part of God's court and can't act alone - his task is simply to test the beliefs and practices of believers (the story of Job is the classic example), so I really question to what extent 'the devil' can be a important belief to grasp for a Christian.

As for being religious, I don't mind your comments, but I like being an atheist. Looking for answers and accepting the unknown seems more spiritual to me than having it all in a big black book.

Religion is intriguing to study and debate on ocassion, but I'm not follower material.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Its hard to impress God with brains since he already cornered the market on it, but he just might have made us for worship and companionship. That requires a better emotional being not an intellectual being.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is fantastic. Keep up the good work.

[/ QUOTE ]

God is clearly an emotional cripple.