Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 02:29 PM

Default Let players use drugs.

It would make me watch all sorts of sports. The athletes would be bigger, faster, stronger, insaner, and beat up each other so much and would make it awesome.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Let players use drugs.

[ QUOTE ]
It would make me watch all sorts of sports. The athletes would be bigger, faster, stronger, insaner, and beat up each other so much and would make it awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

So basically you mean you like things the way they are now?
Old 09-07-2007, 03:01 PM

So what about the athletes that don't use drugs, they are at a disadvantage becasue they don't want to hurt their body long term? What about all the kids that would start doing steroids?
In attempt to be open minded about the situation, you are being very close minded and only focusing on one aspect
Old 09-07-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So what about the athletes that don't use drugs, they are at a disadvantage becasue they don't want to hurt their body long term? What about all the kids that would start doing steroids?
In attempt to be open minded about the situation, you are being very close minded and only focusing on one aspect

[/ QUOTE ]

What about them? Too bad for them. There are lots of unpleasant things people are asked to do in order to make it at the highest level. If the risks behind taking steroids are worth the rewards, then do it. If they aren't, then don't. Pretty simple. You think someone is entitled to the millions of dollars that comes with being a top athlete without taking the risks? Football players give years of their lives (if not actual years, than certainly quality of life years) and we cheer. Apparently they think its worth it. If they don't, there are other careers.

I don't really know what to say about your "but what about kids who use steroids" comment. I suppose make them illegal for those who are under 18? If they are over 18, they aren't kids, and they are responsible for their own decisions and choices. I'm not interested in protecting people from making tough choices, or making them for them based on my preferences.

But the reason we hate steroids so much is because we have this cute, romantic ideal of what makes up "human achievement" and we somehow think steroids and HGH are so very different from insane workout programs and nutrition and training. They all alter body chemistry to achieve a certain result. People think steroids are taking the easy way, I guess, although if they are really so dangerous, it obviously isn't the "easy way." Whatever. I'd be fine with drugs being legalized or allowed in major sports. Let adults make their own choices, and we all get to watch and see what human beings can really do.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:14 PM

I agree.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:25 PM

Yeah, we probably don't want athletes to be role models anymore either.

You can't have every athlete taking them & then ban them from under 18 year olds. They're going to try to take them because they see athletes taking them. What happens if a kid is 18 in high school? Is he not supposed to be tested while the other kids are?

Then we have the college teams who will buy steroids for their players because they can afford while other teams can't afford it. Talk about making the playing level even more unfair.

Let's encourage our kids, college, and high school athletes to take steroids for most of their life so they can completely destroy their bodies down the road.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, we probably don't want athletes to be role models anymore either.

You can't have every athlete taking them & then ban them from under 18 year olds. They're going to try to take them because they see athletes taking them. What happens if a kid is 18 in high school? Is he not supposed to be tested while the other kids are?

Then we have the college teams who will buy steroids for their players because they can afford while other teams can't afford it. Talk about making the playing level even more unfair.

Let's encourage our kids, college, and high school athletes to take steroids for most of their life so they can completely destroy their bodies down the road.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get it, 17 year olds can't buy alcohol right? Are you talking about some sort of SUPER laws that we actually can enforce, as opposed to just the regular laws? How do you propose stopping 17 year olds from taking steroids, since things like laws and testing apparently won't work?

And no, GOD no, athletes should not be role models. That is a horrible, horrible idea. But if you insist on it, then surely the one guy who makes an NFL team without steroids will be the greatest role model of all time, right? Talk about your Rudy! Whoo, how can we pass up a potential opportunity like that? LOL.

"What about the children!?!?" is one of the lamest arguments ever. The NFL isn't responsible, the MPAA isn't responsible, the RAA isn't responsible. I want to see my freak-hulks destroying the Green Bay Freak-hulks, so too bad for your kids.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you joking? It can't get any more unfair. College football isn't about parity... that's why you see the easy schedules for the "best" teams. Blame the NCAA, not potential steroids.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you joking? It can't get any more unfair. College football isn't about parity... that's why you see the easy schedules for the "best" teams. Blame the NCAA, not potential steroids.

[/ QUOTE ]

I recommend "1 5-star per team" rules, or maybe we start a college draft? USC gets the 117th pick, something like that? Parity is important, after all.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm not joking. It can get more unfair, that's the point. It doesn't have to be about complete parity but potential steroids would increase parity even more. It depends on where you stand on parity in college football in general but 90% of things aren't controlled by the NCAA.