Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-2007, 09:03 AM

Default I would NOT do God\'s will if he were immoral

This was inspired by tomdemaine's post.

I would happily do god's bidding if he showed me he was in fact god via a miracle or two, and gave me some good things to do to help the world. Or even just to spread the word, since you know, he's really real, and people ought to know about it. And since apparently not believing also sends you to hell for eternity, it would seem pretty pressing to me to convert people I love. Although, I would ask him "WTF is with hell" if he's such a nice guy, there's not much I can do about it, so I'd just go on preaching.

I would not, however, commit any immoral acts which did not have something good come from them in the material world. I would kill a guy if god showed me that he was about to kill some other people and the only way to stop him was by killing him. But I wouldn't kill him just on god's word that he was bad. If he is bad, surely he will try to do bad things, and I can be in position to witness his attempt and stop it, thus both showing proof of his badness and also killing him. There would be no reason for me to act prior to this, unless god had been showing me this for some time and I had built up trust in his decisions AND it was clear that the time wasted by waiting would allow for another crime to be committed.

Similarly, I would not commit any immoral acts even if good would come from them. I of course define my morality solely on how much good comes from my actions, so that is a bit of a useless explanation. Well, let's have a few examples to clarify what I mean, since I suck at communicating. First, let's say god tells me that the new Jesus will be born if I rape some woman who would not otherwise have sex with me. I would absolutely not do that, under any circumstances.

Similarly, I would not kill my child as a testament of my faith.

God asking either of those would be deplorable and I would not hesitate to tell him so and implore him to set a better example for his creation.

Do you all think this is wrong, evil, or sinful?