Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 11-30-2007, 06:51 PM

Default Case in Point...

If the punishment hasn't been carried out yet, it will be soon. A 19 year old woman will be lashed 200 times and spend 6 months in jail. That is, if her brother doesn't kill her first. Her crime? She was gang raped by seven men. Apparently she was in the company of a man at the time who was not her husband. She has dishonored her family and her religion (which is why her brother wants to kill her).

I'm not even sure what I'm more outraged about. That such an insanely barbaric caveman mentality can still exist in this day and age, or that the rational thinking world is not taking a stronger stance and coming to the rescue of this young girl who has become a double victim. A victim of a heinous rape crime, and then a victim of her own religion and government.

If this is not reason enough to mock, ridicule, and lambast foolish religious beliefs, I don't know what is. Some of you who were calling for ridicule only in outrageous circumstances might want to consider this incident. It stems from something far less sinister. The basic religious tenet of how women should act and be treated according to Islamic law. It is not that great a leap from the seemingly harmless beliefs to the situation that devoloped here. In all of Islam, women are regarded in this way to some degree. Therefore, the severity of the dellusion is unimportant. The degree to which it is practiced is unimportant. What's important is that the dellusion exists at all. What I find deplorable is that we feel a need to avoid offending the sensibilities of those who hold such beliefs no matter how apparently harmless.

The entire rational thinking world should be ridiculing Islam with everything they've got right now over this incident!!
Old 11-30-2007, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Case in Point...

Not as horrific but still stupid.

[ QUOTE ]
KHARTOUM - Hundreds of Sudanese Muslims, waving green Islamic flags, took to the streets of Khartoum on Friday demanding death for the British teacher convicted of insulting Islam after her class named a teddy bear Mohammad.

"No one lives who insults the Prophet," the protesters chanted, a day after school teacher Gillian Gibbons, 54, was sentenced to 15 days in jail and deportation from Sudan.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-30-2007, 07:18 PM

honestly I don't care.

I mean here in US thousands of people are raped every day in prison and nobody cares. hell, most people think it's great.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
honestly I don't care.

I mean here in US thousands of people are raped every day in prison and nobody cares. hell, most people think it's great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Serious?
Old 11-30-2007, 07:26 PM

I don't see treating women badly as a religous issue but totally agree with the sentiment of your post. They're extremely uncivilised but its very tough to impose civilisation on other countries.

Hadn't heard this story but there's been plenty of mockery of the TeddyBearists offended by the naming of their sacred bear. its of limited value, useful mockery comes from within cultures not from external sources

chez
Old 11-30-2007, 07:27 PM

Brutal and irrational indeed.

The story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7098480.stm
Old 11-30-2007, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
honestly I don't care.

Serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

yep. most people think they're criminals and deserve it.

my point is we americans/westerners should clean our own house before looking to impose our supposed civilized values on others.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:46 PM

One problem is that a lot of oil is in majority muslim countries, hence a blind eye is turned to such attrocities.

Another problem (and religious extremists and political correctophiles are two peas in a pod with this) is the view that anything is justified if it is done in the name of religion.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:15 PM

maybe of interest is the end of a letter in the Times from Dr Yaqub Zaki, Deputy director, The Mulim Institute, London.

'Regimes like the Sudanese and the Taleban have made a laughing stock of Islam as well as themselves, so the middle east is no longer Arabistan but Absurdistan'

chez
Old 11-30-2007, 08:36 PM

But this (I thought) is Saudi Arabia. For some reason I thought they were more reformed than most. Maybe that's just because of their relation with the US.

I love the quote! I wish more moderate Muslims would speak out about matter like this. I'd feel a little easier if they did.