Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2007, 03:22 PM

Default Outerbanks, NC. Tell me your experiences.

This isn't a googletard post. I've googled for the last 3 hours. Too much information. If I was looking to go away for a week with a chick which part of OBX would you recommend? I was thinking like a bed/breakfast maybe something on the beach. We are both pretty active so what else is there to do other than beach? Tennis? Kayak? Hiking? I've never been to OBX and neither have my friends, but I feel like it's a popular spot for marylanders, I see the bumper stickers everywhere... give me some details.

Thanks.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Outerbanks, NC. Tell me your experiences.

The White Doe Inn, Manteo, NC. This is where my wife and I stayed on our wedding/honeymoon trip. We got married on the beach and stayed in whatever the room is in they very tippy top; I don't recall the name. But it has a two-sided fireplace that opens up into both the bedroom and the garden bath.

Edit to add: I know there is horseback riding, ocean kayaking, riverine kayaking and canoing, sport fishing, lighthouses to see, aquariums, Kitty Hawk, etc. Tons of stuff to see and do.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:31 PM

I stayed in Kill Devil Hill / Cape Hatteras area 13 years ago. I went with my friends family and had a blast. Granted I was alot younger, but it was great. Tons of young to college girls, bonfires, and enough beach sports to keep me occupied for a week. I remember that their wasn't many bars/restaurants where I stayed. We basically cooked at the house and/or on the beach. We partied on the beach at night. Good times, but I was alot younger.

fyc
Old 06-17-2007, 03:31 PM

You'll want to hit Hatteras, Kitty Hawk, and maybe Ocracoke. For sports there's a lot of windsurfing at Canadian Hole and there is hang gliding at the sand dunes near kitty hawk. I've only been to the outer banks a few times, but I thought it was a nice change of pace from some of the more crowded and tackier beaches.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:08 PM

the main middle parts (Kill Devil Hills, Southern Shores, Duck, Kitty Hawk, +- 20 miles) are very very crowded during the summer. Mainly from what I've seen its mostly families of all ages. North and south of the main area is much less crowded and less commercialized (though every year it becomes more crowded, etc.)

Though the Kitty Hawk area is the most crowded, i"d still reccomend it over something very northern (Corolla) or southern (Avon).

If I were you I'd stay in the Kitty Hawk area, and travel to Corolla one day, Hatteras\below another day, etc.

Things to do: beach (obv), fishing (pier, ocean, or sound), hang gliding, any type of water stuff (jetskis, etc), lots of other resort\nature watch type of stuff.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:09 PM

Manteo is good -- cute, romantic type town with lots of shops and restaurants. But it's not on the beach. If you want to be right on the beach, it's mostly all house rentals; not too many hotel/bed-and-breakfast options. There might be some on Okracoke, which is pretty tiny, so you're close to the water wherever you are. The Sanderling Inn in Duck is supposed to be very classy; I've never stayed there, and it's more of a resort than a bed-and-breakfast.

As for activities, you can rent a 4x4 north of Corolla and ride it in the dunes. The area is closed to cars and you can see wild horses on the island. There's also hang-gliding off the dunes, kayaking, horseback riding and usual water activities (jet skis, etc.) on the bay side.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:19 PM

My parents have a house in Southern Shores (near Duck), and I've been going there every summer for about 25 years, so I'm sort of partial to that area. I think Duck is a pretty fun place to stay. They have a lot of stores and shopping, and some waterfront bars and restaurants. There are also tons of sport rental places there for kayaks, boats, etc...
Old 06-17-2007, 05:23 PM

the outer banks pretty much blows these days - 15 yrs ago it was sweet. i would go to atlantic beach/morehead city.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the outer banks pretty much blows these days - 15 yrs ago it was sweet.

[/ QUOTE ]

What sucks about it?

I haven't been to the beach in forever. I went to the Outer Banks 20 years ago, but I was a young kid at the time. All I remember from that trip, really, is trying to circulate my room in the house we were renting as many times as possible without touching the floor (climbing on all the furniture) and doing mazes from this giant book that my cousin brought.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:38 PM

I got back from Duck today, was there the past week. Kill Devil Hills, Kitty Hawk, Nags Head, are all not even close to as nice as Duck and Corolla. Duck and Corolla are more family oriented, rich people houses. Corolla also has nicer beaches, better sand. Avoid the three I mentioned earlier, they are grimy.