Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2007, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Review one whiskey

[ QUOTE ]
There is also The Caol Ila (18 year old is what I have, but they are all fairly good)

[/ QUOTE ]

I just had this at my friend's place, and enjoyed it quite a bit (I am relatively new to Scotch, so please take what I say with a grain of salt). Trying this inspired me to pick up a bottle of the Caol Ila (pronounced "cull-eela" I believe) 12.

Doing some research on the Internets, it appears that Caol Ila is one of the lesser known Islay distilleries (relative to Ardbeg, Laphroaig, and Lagavulin), but well regarded. I am not sure if this impacts pricing, I paid $55 for this at my local liquor store, Cap 'N' Cork.

Nose: Very smoky, pleasantly so. Some citrus undercurrents, and peaty.
Taste: Smoky and malty, fairly smooth drinking with some bite, rich and deep overall, also peaty. No noticeable citrus taste to me.
Overall: 8/10 I enjoyed this very much. The 18 was a notch better though.

-Al
Old 03-05-2007, 10:35 AM

I immediately liked the mild vanilla/honey scent that was mixed in with the good wooden aroma. When I asked my wifes opinion on the smell, she thought it had a hint of ceder also.
A creamy mellow long lasting sweet oak flavor. Very pleasing. So far, my favorite scotch.

Bevmo - $60
For $16, I got a 3 pack of nips which included the 12yo Doublewood (100% agree with ElD's OP review), and the 21yo Portwood (tonight's choice).
Old 03-05-2007, 01:18 PM

Default Blue Label

Blue Label.
It is about 200-250$ for 70cl.
Blended but only 25 year+ and mostly(95%) single malt.

This is my favourite whiskey though it is not single malt.
It has a very rich flavor and it tastes a little like black label and gold label if u tried them but is much more refined.

Not smoky at all(I love smoky whiskies otherwise).
It is easy to drink and even a beginner would like it.

Whisky is personal.
There are none that is best for anyone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnnie_Walker

From Wikipedia
"Johnnie Walker Blue Label — Johnnie Walker's ultimate blend. Every bottle is serial numbered and sold in a silk-lined box, accompanied by a certificate of authenticity. Although no age is declared, it is believed many of the whiskies blended are aged for 50 to 60 years."
Old 03-05-2007, 11:11 PM

Default Re: Blue Label

Auchentoshan 3 Wood. Paid about $50 at Heathrow duty free.

This is a lowland whiskey matured in American Bourbon (for at least ten years), Oloroso Sherry (around one year) and finally hefty Pedro Ximinez Sherry (six months), which leaves it with a lot of different flavors. some things I pick up are caramel and maple syrup. a lot of online reviews say it has a strong toffee taste, which I also taste.

overall I recommend it, though I'm not sure it's a great value at it's normal price of $60ish.

question for you all: how do you store your whiskey? for about 8 months out of the year, my bottles are fine on top of my fridge. but my apt is not AC, so summers bring 80-85 degree heat, which I imagine is pretty bad for all liqour. I was thinking about buying a wine fridge, but then I read that whiskey shouldnt be stored in it's side b/c the alcohol will eat the cork. any ideas?
Old 03-06-2007, 10:01 AM

Wow, just wow!
This had a fruity nose, kinda raisiny with something like a pipe tobacco undertone.
It started with a mild sweet flavor that just kept building in the mouth, honey, woody, and a little nutty. This flavor stayed with me for quite a while.
I savored this one. I took almost 2 hours to drink just a nip bottle.

I just wish it wasn't $129 a bottle (bevmo). Oh, who am I kidding, I'll buy it anyways... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-12-2007, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Lagavulin 16yo
Strength: 43% ABV
Appearance: Deep amber.
Nose: Heavy, velvety smoke with a touch of sweetness (a hint of vanilla???).
Taste: The smoke fills the palate, followed by a salty wood flavor. Other online reviews mention a sweetness coming from the sherry casks.
Finish: The dry peaty smoke stayed with me for a very long time. Extremely pleasing. I'm very glad I bought this bottle.
Price: $45

Is this what I should expect from other Isley brands? If so, I need to plan a trip...

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap, I just spent $80 on this bottle [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Well, I deserved a treat. Long day, heroic me saved an old woman from certain doom. Seriously. Anyway, holy crap is this some good scotch. This is scotch that lets you know you're drinking it. This is scotch that makes non-scotch drinkers say "How the [censored] can you drink this?" Peaty, peaty, peaty, with a side of wood-fired peat and some smoked peat sauce. Very warm finish that slides down into your gullet, where it radiates happiness like a little sun in your belly. A+
Old 03-13-2007, 10:09 PM

this Glenlivet single malt has noticeable vanilla and bitter chocolate notes as well a spicy bouquet of pepper and cinnamon.

aka, it's the bomb.

<3

B
Old 03-14-2007, 10:16 AM

Bought the Dalwhinnie 15yo last night and cracked it after dinner. I've been reading about it's light, sweet and mildly peaty flavor and was looking forward to moving away from the heavy peat malts I've been into lately.

Very pleasant drink, one I can see as a regular in my collection. Very light gold color, with a mild honey smoke nose. There's an initial sweetness to the taste that mellows and warms into a light smoke in the back of the mouth. The sweetness lingers for a good bit of time.

I definitely recommend it.
$48 in CT.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:53 AM

Edradour 1993 cask strength.

Purchased as part of a Stag trip to Scotland. Me: Not whisky fan.

Tastes: Whisky experts can detect fine candied orange notes and claim the malt also has a peach character, with a finish marked by pepper and nutmeg.

I detect the taste of Alcohol mixed with rather high quality mud.

I am clearly a man with a terrible, terrible palate. However, i do have an outstanding bottle.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:27 PM

I just ran across a bottle of this in a specialty liquor store near me. They only had one, and I have friends coming over for a game tonight, so I decided to snag it for $59.99.

First off, the bottle itself is really cool. It has a unique teardrop shape and a old-fashioned looking cap that for some reason reminds me of a pirate ship. And it rocks forward and back on its base ever so slightly - nice touch.

So of course I just had to open it right away, and I am sipping on my first glass as I write. I added a spash of cold water to the glass, since that is how I have been enjoying all my whiskey lately. The nose reminds me almost exactly of Johnnie Walker Green; I am not familiar with the blends but I wouldn't be surprised if they shared a couple - it has a very deep smoky/sweet smell to it. Upon first sip, I breathed in through my nose and held it in for a count of 7. It was smooth and sweet and didn't really burn. It doesn't taste as much as JWG as it smelled; it's much more subtle. But it does taste a little spicy to me - I almost want to say it's peppery. The finish is long and just a bit smoky. It's definitely good stuff, I would have no problem recommending it for the price.

I'll come back with more if anyone has any other comments on it tonight.