Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2007, 09:56 PM

Default Re: When all-in, any tips for mentally adjusting to the drama of it?

Watch Roger Federer the super nova of tennis he goes all in for some of the biggest pots in history; They claim he obtains a dream state on the court and can do more the harder it is. also did you know that many millions of poker players play poker for that rush along? but it is a matter of concentration, it is stated by psychologists that great athletes can focus down on the task at hand blocking all else out. I also have used this mental problem myself and that is think about want you are going to do if you lose all the money you will ever have without winning at poker. You know there are many easier ways to make buyins then what those panics cost you in bad play later, not counting you have nothing riding on your bet outside the pot and such stressors could be good for your health.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love the feeling. That's what we play for!

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-16-2007, 03:59 AM

I always put my hand over the cards on the screen and wait to see who the pot slides towards. That kind of stuff helps from the annoyingness of, say, when you flop a pair with AK vs. QQ, but the Q rivers. Even though you were all-in preflop it still seems like a bad beat from the time between the flop and the river.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:31 AM

Just don't care. I believe that players are nervous for results because they don't have confidence in their play. More and more hands I play, the less I tilt and the less I care about results. It is simple because when I started playing poker, I didn't know that I was good. Now, when I made a good money out of it, I have enough confidence and ego that I can say: That's poker and move on. It also helps if you have in your mind someone like Phil Ivey and just try to imitate him.

Also, when you suffer a bad beat, remember a time when you sucked out (and don't tell me you never did).
Old 09-16-2007, 05:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I always put my hand over the cards on the screen and wait to see who the pot slides towards. That kind of stuff helps from the annoyingness of, say, when you flop a pair with AK vs. QQ, but the Q rivers. Even though you were all-in preflop it still seems like a bad beat from the time between the flop and the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get that. Why would it feel like a bad beat if it was even money before the flop? When they say it on TV, it seems like the stupiest thing in the world. When 50% shot, you have to realize it is not important if it falls on the river, or if an ace or king doesn't come. It is the same thing.

Try to be a little robotic about poker but not so much that you don't have any instincts (robots don't have them) which help you a lot. You gain this with experience.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:35 PM

Live -I love this -I just look at the other player to gauge his reactions to give me some possible future reads on how he looks when disappointed/elated.

Online- just think about the strategic implications if you do not get knocked out, assess the remaining players stack sizes etc.

Alternatively - Just run round like a lunatic then you get to bang Jennifer Tilly.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:30 AM

Online, play more tables at lower limits.

Live, just assume you're going to lose so that you're ready for it. Have enough money to rebuy immediately. Be pleasantly surprised if your hand holds up.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Live, just assume you're going to lose so that you're ready for it. Have enough money to rebuy immediately. Be pleasantly surprised if your hand holds up.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not the right approach. You should be thinking about how to win, not about how not to lose.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not the right approach. You should be thinking about how to win, not about how not to lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

He is asking for some psycholigical advice and I think that is a way of handing the defeats that will come.

Thinking how to win is not relevant unless you believe your thought process is going to change what cards hit the flop, turn and river.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He is asking for some psycholigical advice and I think that is a way of handing the defeats that will come.

Thinking how to win is not relevant unless you believe your thought process is going to change what cards hit the flop, turn and river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that. I just said if you come at the table with the mentality you will lose, you will lose, not because you could influence the cards, but because you won't play well. I always think about winning, but if I don't, then I just say: That's poker and move on.

Another advice - I heard that at WSOP - the best thing in the world is gambling and winning and second best is gambling and losing. So when you lose, you actually do the second best thing in the world. Not bad, right?