Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 11:48 AM

Default No Country for Old Men

I'm a huge Coen Brothers fan, and am so excited for the new movie, No Country for Old Men.

Does anyone else plan to see it during the limited release? Can anyone that has read the book on which it is based comment on the story (w/o spoilers obv)?
Old 11-06-2007, 11:54 AM

Default Re: No Country for Old Men

When I first saw this trailer I thought it was a David Cronenberg (History of Violence, Eastern Promises). I haven't read the book, but I plan on seeing the movie.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:55 AM

at least it won't be as bad as "Intolerable Cruelty"....

But seriously, the Coen brothers are the best thing in American cinema today and this is supposed to be them returning to form..
Old 11-06-2007, 11:59 AM

It looks like a mash-up of Blood Simple and Fargo, which is a very very good thing. I've been pimping this movie to all my friends ever since the trailer was released. Javier Borden and Josh Brolin look like they're going to tear up this movie. Brolin especially, since he seems to have started with a pretty-boy status and has lately been turning in some amazing performances.

Similar to Jeff Bridges, he's the kind of actor I wrote off until one specific role. Big Lebowski was mine for Bridges, and oddly enough, Planet Terror was mine for Brolin. It's also interesting how Coen brothers tend to do this to various actors. Goodman, Clooney, and others all get mad props for their roles in Coen films.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a huge Coen Brothers fan, and am so excited for the new movie, No Country for Old Men.

Does anyone else plan to see it during the limited release? Can anyone that has read the book on which it is based comment on the story (w/o spoilers obv)?

[/ QUOTE ]

The book is really good. The story is about a down and out cowboy circa 1980 (without looking it up - could be 70s maybe) who stumbles upon a busted drug deal and takes the money. The rest of the book is about the consequences of him taking the money. Hint: the drug dealers aren't real happy about it.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:00 PM

It certainly looks like vintage Coen brothers and I am very very excited for this one.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:06 PM

I'm really excited about it, it's been gettting crazy good reviews from the film festivals and looks like it's going back to their 'roots' to a certain extent

After Intolerable Cruelty and The Ladykillers I feel they sort of owe this to us
Old 11-06-2007, 12:09 PM

I started reading the book but couldnt stand it. McCarthy's writing style involved forgoing pretty much all punctuation and I found it really hard to follow the dialog. I am pretty dumb, though.

I do have to say that the movie looks flippin' sweet and I am very excited to see it.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:13 PM

This looks incredibly awesome
Old 11-06-2007, 12:23 PM

Read the book. Good book. Some introspective gayness but the gore/suspense more than makes up for that. The weapon the freakshow guy uses is a captive bolt pistol, used for stunning livestock prior to slaughter. Creepy stuff.
Closed Thread