Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 02:04 PM

Default Re: what\'s so great about the godfather?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I was also only giving a possible reason why people like GF1 and the Vito part in GF2, but don't like the new Michael stuff in GF2 or 3. Seems like a common denominator to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
The Vito scenes in GF2 are so good that it took away from the Michael story in GF2. Michael is struggling to save the Corleone family, he almost got killed in his own home, his marriage is falling apart, his enemies are out to get him etc etc. All the Vito stuff takes away attention from the great personal + business struggle that Michael is going through. He is fighting to survive here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree. Personally I like GF2 better because of the Michael part, only because I read the book and knew the Vito part already.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I was also only giving a possible reason why people like GF1 and the Vito part in GF2, but don't like the new Michael stuff in GF2 or 3. Seems like a common denominator to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
The Vito scenes in GF2 are so good that it took away from the Michael story in GF2. Michael is struggling to save the Corleone family, he almost got killed in his own home, his marriage is falling apart, his enemies are out to get him etc etc. All the Vito stuff takes away attention from the great personal + business struggle that Michael is going through. He is fighting to survive here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree. Personally I like GF2 better because of the Michael part, only because I read the book and knew the Vito part already.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also agreed on the Vito/Michael scenes not fitting together well in GF2. The movie isn't put together nearly as well as the first.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:59 PM

I've seen II at least a half a dozen times and I still don't understand the Michael plot.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:25 PM

Yeah, you're not alone I'm sure. It can take quite a few runs through to start to get the pieces coordinated, and that's a pretty big flaw in a movie.