Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2007, 03:56 AM

Default MGM ruling

Someone tell me if this is the correct ruling.

I limp in MP and the ther are 2 other limps. A guy raises to $25 in the SB (2/5 game). I call, theres another call and then I look over and the raiser is showing his friend (who is on his right and in the hand) his cards.

Im not sure if his friend saw the cards or not because he threw his $25 in the pot just as I called out to the dealer that the guy was exposing his cards to a player.

The dealer calls the floor. As soon as he yesll "FLOOR!!", the moron shows the whole table his cards and he has QQ.
Rhe fllor arrives and the dealers tells him "he is accusing that guy of exposing his cards to another player still in the hand".

The floor asks the dealer if he saw it and he says No.

I ask the floor if his hand is dead and he says no. Since everyone knows what his cards are, we should play out the hand. I didnt argue since Im pretty sure I can outplay the idiot when I know what his cards are.

Was the floor correct or is his hand dead and the rest of us play out the hand?

Just for comedic value, Ill say that the idiot open pushed $500 into the $100 pot on a Jxx flop even though we all knew what he had. Obviously someone calls if they have him beat and folds other wise.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:16 AM

Default Re: MGM ruling

Depends on the house -

I have seen a couple of occasions where the the hand was played, but the other player was not obligated to call any further raises (treated as all-ins).

In a multi-way pot this is a mess though.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:24 AM

exposed hand shouldn't be dead in a cash game, or in a tournament for that matter
Old 06-26-2007, 08:22 AM

daryn, what if the player showed it only to one player who was still in the hand? Should the other players just ask to see it, too, and expect to be able to?
Old 06-26-2007, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
exposed hand shouldn't be dead in a cash game, or in a tournament for that matter

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't disagree with the fact that your hand "SHOULDN'T" be dead, but in most tournaments I've played in the last few years if you show your hand it is as dead as fried chicken.

GA
Old 06-26-2007, 10:17 AM

IF a card or cards are exposed to a player, in the hand or not, during the play of the hand the card or cards should be exposed to the table.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:23 AM

Just a quick question that I was unsure of after reading the story. Was the player exposing his cards to a player still in the hand or just a buddy beside him who had already folded?
Old 06-26-2007, 10:23 AM

The guy is obviously an idiot, but it sounds like the situation was handled the best way possible. If he hadn't turned up his cards voluntarily I think they would have to make him turn them up for all players in the hand to see.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:42 AM

1. "Buddy" sees QQ and calls $20 more anyway?
2. Dealer doesn't see it?
3. Floor doesn't ask the Button (Buddy) or SB(raiser) what happened?
4. Floor doesn't warn Button and SB not to share information when in a hand?
5. OP wants to kill the hand?

Correct ruling, I guess.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:10 AM

Here are the most common rules that I am aware of.

1. Showing your hand to a live player will result in immediately showing your hand to the table, tourney or cash. In a tourney, you may face a time out penalty after the hand. In a cash game, it is -EV for you to do this so there is no penalty but if you continually do it, you may be asked to leave.

2. Showing your hand to a non-live player will result in showing the rest of the table after the hand is over (however, only if another player complains). In a tourney, you may face a time out penalty after the hand. In a small stakes cash game, this can usually be let go, especially between friends. And it depends on the situation. For example, UTG raises, friend 1 folds, friend 2 shows friend 1 his hand and folds. This is really minor. However, if a hand is played for a street or two and somebody folds showing a stranger beside him his great laydown, I would ask to see that hand.

[ QUOTE ]
Just for comedic value, Ill say that the idiot open pushed $500 into the $100 pot on a Jxx flop even though we all knew what he had. Obviously someone calls if they have him beat and folds other wise.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why is this a bad play? What's a better play? Checking it down and hoping you don't get outdrawn? Betting something like $50 would have been interesting since calculating implied odds has a new twist. Personally, I would have made the same push and if somebody had a set or some asnine Jx hand, then good for them. Otherwise, the only thing any opponent could have is a draw and the push takes away all odds for drawing.