Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2007, 07:51 PM

Default Really weird lower stakes live hand. Still confused about it.

So I was playing a 5/10 live game at caesars. The game was really good because there was a drunk guy who kept losing his chips then going out to roulette, putting it all on red, and coming back with his winnings. Anyway he left and im about to leave in about an hour later. I have been playing pretty well, and had an all in bluff on the river that was shown after he folded. A lot of the table doesn't want to play hands with me. Its now 7 handed.

Villain in this hand is a young kid who was friends with two guys who were already in the game. He came with a rack of 5 dollar chips, so i figured this was a step up in limits after a lower game broke. This was confirmed because 7 handed he didnt play a hand for 4 straight orbits. He has about 2000 to start the hand and I cover.

I pick up a pocket pair in MP. After two limpers I make it 60. 6 people in total call, including villain who is in the small blind. Flop is 5 5 5. So scared villain leads out the size of the pot. He has about 1600 behind or something. Folded to me and I call.

Turn is the 2c, so the board is 5h 5d 5s 2c. There is about 700 in the pot at most. He immediately goes all in for 1600. What range do you put him on and what is the lowest pocket pair you call him with here. I sat for 2 minutes and couldn't think of a hand he could have. Really weird hand.

I am also almost positive this is never a bluff and always for value from him.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:53 PM

Default Re: Really weird lower stakes live hand. Still confused about it.

id def call qq+ , still unsure of jj.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:02 PM

Hmm, odd play. I'd call w/ JJ or higher.

Maybe he just wanted to take the pot down now and not risk losing if an over came; seeing as though he seemed scared. ~99-QQ maybe.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:04 PM

i agree 100% with just about everything you said...it doesnt make too much sense (except for one hand)

most normal people would prolly bump it pre with QQ+ and almost certaintly KK+... up until the turn id put him on 77-JJ but normally those hands slow down and I doubt he turns them into bluffs

with all that being said i really think this is a 5 trying to get paid by QQ+

therefore i give him (a tight player as he seems to be) a 5 or KK+ but i guess QQ could sneak in there...despite his range and our odds im still calling with KK and AA
Old 06-20-2007, 08:07 PM

The thing that got me, was that 6 handed, a scared player is not going to slowplay AA or KK or something preflop. So he really can have like QQ at best. Then though, if he is just calling QQ preflop, its probably because hes scared to play a big pot, so then why would he just open shove once this flop and turn hit?? A hand hadn't confused me this much in a long time. I feel like it trapped me into just looking at my hand and not being able to even start to put him on a range, which made me not like the hand at all so I folded.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:38 PM

Weird. I think I'd call with QQ+. Sometimes people get nervous and just do stupid crazy [censored] when they are playing higher than usual and in a somewhat unusual spot. I wouldn't be completely surprised if he had 77 and thought he was "protecting his hand" as so many live players like to say.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:44 PM

He probably had KK and wanted to see a "safe flop."
Old 06-20-2007, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing that got me, was that 6 handed, a scared player is not going to slowplay AA or KK or something preflop. So he really can have like QQ at best. Then though, if he is just calling QQ preflop, its probably because hes scared to play a big pot, so then why would he just open shove once this flop and turn hit?? A hand hadn't confused me this much in a long time. I feel like it trapped me into just looking at my hand and not being able to even start to put him on a range, which made me not like the hand at all so I folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess is he was probably thinking he doesn't want to reraise a hand like JJ, QQ (maybe KK) and then see an ace flop and not know what to do, or being scared of being outplayed on a scary board. Once he saw a flop like this, he just decided if you have a better hand than him, whatever, he's going all the way with it. Given that you said he seems to be playing scared, I'd be surprised to see worse than 1010, and I'm not sure I'd call with JJ. QQ+ I'd call.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:01 PM

He's gotta have QQ-99, with it HEAVILY weighted towards jacks and tens, and only slightly with the outliers.

I would probably call with JJ and make a wise ass comment if I was no good, call with QQ quickly and happily, and call with tens only if I was tilted.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He probably had KK and wanted to see a "safe flop."

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree but think it applies more towards tt-qq.