Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2006, 11:05 PM

Default Re: ***Official 2006 NLCS Cards v. Mets Thread***

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if the Red Birds pitch Carp in game two, they might win two games, otherwise it's Mets in 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

since no one else has asked, i'll volunteer. why does it matter whether carpenter pitches games 2 and 6 or 3 and 7 when you're predicting mets in 5? either way he only starts one of the first five games.

[/ QUOTE ]

He could pitch Game 2 on 3 days rest and then come back for Game 5 on 3 days rest. Frankly thats pretty dumb since he can pitch game 3 and 7 on normal rest and that's still two games. Though since many baseball managers are dumb jocks that failed math class, some of them think that scheduling a guy for game 7 is a risk since that game might not even be played. Obviously us people with 3 didgit IQ's no this difference is meanigless but this weird stuff has happened before. John McNamara brought Roger Clemens back to pitch Game 2 of the WS on 3 days rest, rather than games 3 and 7 on normal rest. Either way he was pitching 2 games only.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if the Red Birds pitch Carp in game two, they might win two games, otherwise it's Mets in 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

since no one else has asked, i'll volunteer. why does it matter whether carpenter pitches games 2 and 6 or 3 and 7 when you're predicting mets in 5? either way he only starts one of the first five games.

[/ QUOTE ]

if he pitches game 2 on 3 days rest from the SD series, then he can pitch game 5 on 3 days rest as well? not a huge leap of logic.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:13 PM

Anyway, I hate when people predict series as if Carpenter will definately win all his games and the Mets will definately win all the others ones. I find that kind of thinkign so silly.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, I hate when people predict series as if Carpenter will definately win all his games and the Mets will definately win all the others ones. I find that kind of thinkign so silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a point, in a similar vein the Twinkies lost Santana's start in the playoffs this year.

However, in general it is a fairly safe prediction that the probable NL Cy Young winner is most likely to win his start. Also more specifically in this series, the Mets lineup is really good and the other Cardinals starts are kinda bad, as is their bullpen. Don't forget variance though! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2006, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a point, in a similar vein the Twinkies lost Santana's start in the playoffs this year.

However, in general it is a fairly safe prediction that the probable NL Cy Young winner is most likely to win his start. Also more specifically in this series, the Mets lineup is really good and the other Cardinals starts are kinda bad, as is their bullpen. Don't forget variance though! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, hey variance does exist, I just hate it beign used as an excuse. I know hes more likely to win, and the Mets are more likely to win games he doesn't pitch, but to say "yeah itll end in 5, unless Carpenter pitches 2, then itll go 6" is madness.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:42 PM

also.....I think Mets fans are overlooking Jeff Suppan, who is probably the third best starting pitcher in this series

check him out since the all-star break
6W 2L 2.39ERA 15G 15S 0CG 0SHO 0SV 0SVO 94.1IP 91H 31R 25ER 7HR 4HBP 30BB 55K 1.74GO/AO 1.28WHIP .253AVG
Old 10-09-2006, 11:51 PM

Variance pretty much explains the ALCS divison series' this year.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:56 PM

will the Mets be favored in a Maine v Suppan match-up?

is it possible that the Cards would be the favorites in 4 of teh 7 match-ups yet the underdog for the series?
Old 10-09-2006, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Game 6:
Albetr Pujols will homer in the top of the 7th off Aaron Heilman to give the Mets the lead...

[/ QUOTE ]

Might want to go back and fix this b/c the rest of your post is gold!
Old 10-10-2006, 09:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
will the Mets be favored in a Maine v Suppan match-up?

is it possible that the Cards would be the favorites in 4 of teh 7 match-ups yet the underdog for the series?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. Interesting thought..

Maine (Year):
6-5, 3.60 ERA, 1.13 WHIP, .212 Avg. Against

Suppan (Since Break):
6-2, 2.39 ERA, 1.28 WHIP, .253 Avg. Against

Maine this year pitched about the same # of innings as Suppan has since the All-Star break. Those numbers look pretty close. The bullpen and lineup would still give the Mets the edge. Game 2 will of course be in NY, so I'm thinking the Mets would be favored in at least that game.