Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 03:57 AM

Default Poker in Florida

Im a Brit looking to be in Florida for a fortnight at the end of September, on previous visits I have played at the Hard Rock in Tampa, but it was all $2 Dollar limit then, I believe however that the law has been relaxed and they are able to spread no limit cash games now.

Is this the case, and if so is the Hard rock the place to play or are the games held at the race tracks worth a visit.

Grateful for any info or opinions to where the best cash games are to be had.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Poker in Florida

Try TAMPA GREYHOUND, in my opinion the best cardroom in Tampa.

They spread 1-2 and 2-5 NO LIMIT and provide great promos on a daily basis, all this from the best cardroom staff in the business.

-FH-
Old 09-10-2007, 08:36 AM

Thank you Tampa Greyhound it is then.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:19 PM

Be forewarned of the following:

1. All NL games have a $100 max buy-in
2. FH appears to work for Tampa Greyhound with as often as he advertises for them, in all caps every time no less
3. The games at Tampa Greyhound may not be that great as I've heard their big Sunday tournaments have never even started due to lack of entries (which translates to a small player pool with no money)
4. Cardrooms that are not on Indian land are only open 12 hours a day, usually closing at midnight or 1am
5. Hard Rock is on Seminole land and open 24 hours
6. Hard Rock recently introduced timed rake priced per half hour: $6 @ 1/2NL, $7 @ 2/5NL, $8 @ 5/10NL
Old 09-10-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2. FH appears to work for Tampa Greyhound with as often as he advertises for them, in all caps every time no less

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he has major fanboy syndrome. He's been around longer than they have.

[ QUOTE ]

6. Hard Rock recently introduced timed rake priced per half hour: $6 @ 1/2NL, $7 @ 2/5NL, $8 @ 5/10NL

[/ QUOTE ]

Tampa? That sucks. Guess I'm going to Naples, as I was already boycotting Sarasota for that very reason (and the $60 max buy). When did they start that?
Old 09-10-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tampa? That sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Hollywood. Tampa has its own rules -- but they usually follow H'wood's example, with about a month to a year of lag time. I was last at the Hard Rock in Tampa at the end of August, and it was still 10% max $5 + $1 jackpot, but no chopping blinds -- they made us drop the small blind.

Also, 5/10NL (same $100 cap on a buy-in, lol) doesn't run in Tampa.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is the Hard rock the place to play or are the games held at the race tracks worth a visit.

Grateful for any info or opinions to where the best cash games are to be had.

Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really think it depends on where you are staying in the area. Pinellas beach? Derby Lane is closest. Downtown Tampa? Hard Rock is just down I-4, if you want to wait all day and play all night, or Tampa Greyhound is right up 275, if you like urban decay. Oldsmar? What are you doing staying in Oldsmar? At any rate, you're out by the Downs, where you can also hit golf balls.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Be forewarned of the following:

1. All NL games have a $100 max buy-in
3. The games at Tampa Greyhound may not be that great as I've heard their big Sunday tournaments have never even started due to lack of entries (which translates to a small player pool with no money)
4. Cardrooms that are not on Indian land are only open 12 hours a day, usually closing at midnight or 1am
5. Hard Rock is on Seminole land and open 24 hours

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not have any affiliation with TG whatsoever.

I like them for the following reasons........

1. Outstanding staff from top to bottom that cannot be close to equaled by any cardroom in the Tampa area.

2. Great promos such as rake free tourneys, pocket aces cracked earns $100, free beer days.

3. Good array of players, from very good to absolutely horrible.............and the vast majority are very good people.

4. Bad beat currently approaching 40,000

5. Good food in restaurant upstairs
Old 09-11-2007, 06:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

3. Good array of players, from very good to absolutely horrible.............and the vast majority are very good people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that's quite an incentive.

As I recall, aren't you like the only guy (willing to post it) losing at 1/2 since it's debut? Have you delved much into the reasons?
Old 09-11-2007, 08:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that's quite an incentive.

As I recall, aren't you like the only guy (willing to post it) losing at 1/2 since it's debut? Have you delved much into the reasons?

[/ QUOTE ]

Been playing no limit for 20+ years.........and although not a great player, good enough to profit longterm in most any cardroom in America over the longhaul that is offering 1-2 through 5-10 NO LIMIT holdem.

To answer your question, after treading water(up small) over the first 200-250 hours in the Tampa area, have been on a pretty good heater over the past 100 hours of "work" in such a way that I've won the majority of my 14-18 sessions in that timeframe.

The facts are one cannot judge how he or she is playing at a venue until they have played at the VERY LEAST 1,000 hours.